Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Pictures and Pet Photos

Old 01-04-2013, 05:36 PM
I'm All Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linds View Post

I'm not sure exactly though what you mean about "what's going to keep the breed from becoming just a pet if there's not going to be a definition of work in the US", could you explain that a bit more?
What it means to me (though this may be wrong but it is a question I have) is if the breed has been developed as a working ranch dog pretty much solely, how are you going to make sure to keep the breed what it is once you start breeding for something different (sports)? I am not one to think sports breeding is bad for the record.

And I do appreciate the openness of both of you.
Old 01-04-2013, 05:41 PM
Glutton for Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurelin View Post
What it means to me (though this may be wrong but it is a question I have) is if the breed has been developed as a working ranch dog pretty much solely, how are you going to make sure to keep the breed what it is once you start breeding for something different (sports)? I am not one to think sports breeding is bad for the record.

Yup, same thing I asked before... is there going to be a governing body (KC) established with a standard and code of ethics to adhere to prior to breeding?
Chili Brigades Brover 5/23/14 -

Arnold CGC TDI FD 6/29/04 - 07/05/13
Backup CGC HIC CD SRD SJ-N RATI 12/29/09 - 07/05/13

You were amazing, we did amazing things.

Harmony Canine, relationship based training.
Old 01-04-2013, 05:42 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
This is what I took it as, as well. How do you plan to keep the temperament and structure of this herding/ranching breed when most homes you would cater to in the USA are not herding/ranching homes. Or, are you hoping that C/Koolies are very versatile dogs that are perfectly capable of doing a variety of sports without much change in structure/temperament. Or if something does have to be changed, what your goals are in your breeding program. That sorta thing, I suppose.

And if there will be any Breed Club, or is there one in the US already? Would you seek out AKC recognition or no?

Definitely appreciate your openness and honesty in everything! I love learning about this breed.
Old 01-04-2013, 05:46 PM
Glutton for Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyzelle View Post
Would you seek out AKC recognition or no?

Definitely appreciate your openness and honesty in everything! I love learning about this breed.
It really is fun seeing this from the ground up. I'm curious as well if AKC/UKC recognition is an eventual goal for ease of trialing intact and record keeping.
Chili Brigades Brover 5/23/14 -

Arnold CGC TDI FD 6/29/04 - 07/05/13
Backup CGC HIC CD SRD SJ-N RATI 12/29/09 - 07/05/13

You were amazing, we did amazing things.

Harmony Canine, relationship based training.
Old 01-04-2013, 05:49 PM
I'm All Ears

Have you thought about or found a mentor over here that maybe ranches with a breed that works in a similar fashion? (I'm not even really sure if there is one)
Old 01-04-2013, 05:50 PM
Sit! Good dog.

You have to hope other people will follow your lead or this will fizzle out quite quickly. And as others have already asked, who decides on what standard you achieve? Ranching ability is different to sporting? Etc etc. Which I guess is why breed clubs and standards come in.

Why do you want to breed? Who for? Where do you see it going?

I like koolies. My oh wanted one till I told them there are none in the UK (based on trav pics!), but having seen new breeds go tits up in the UK I know how hard this is to be fair. It's a lifetimes work, a few breedings by 3 health tested dogs is a drop in the ocean. There needs to be almost a business plan in place!!

Are there other people on board?
"Dogs are our link to paradise. They do not know jealousy or discontent. To sit with a dog on a hillside on a glorious afternoon is to be back in Eden, where doing nothing wasn't boring, it was peace."

Bodhi is the opposite of ignorance, the insight into reality which destroys mental afflictions and brings peace.

Owned by Bodhi Booglaoo and Fredington Holbein

Old 01-04-2013, 05:50 PM
Top Dog

I keep poking in here to check out the questions between runs. Awesome questions, I am so excited to answer them! One more run....

Taboo, Zuma, Mighty Mouse, Zinga, Edgar, Zip Tie
Old 01-04-2013, 06:34 PM
Top Dog

Quote:

That is how I meant it. I don't have an issue with breeding for sports either, per say... and I also don't have an issue with breeding for pets. I was just curious what the ultimate goal would be, and what the dog would be classified as if they're no longer used as a herding dog?
Puzzle Piece Gabby RLV 9 years
ESRA foster Diego 12 years
Old 01-04-2013, 06:44 PM
Top Dog

What is your 'mission statement' so to speak with the breed? Are you just seeing where it goes or are you trying to shape the breed in the U.S.? I am interested in the answers on keeping the herding instinct in the breed.

This isn't meant to be a volatile statement, but I'll admit I am a little surprised that there is no intention to heavily trial/title the foundation dogs. I wouldn't be very concerned if this was a popular breed, but what you do here (if the breeding program takes off) will probably set the tone for the breed in this continent.

I took a look at the Koolie Club of Australia...I know you have said there are no breeders that current health test, but I did see some that have been approved by the Veterinary Genetic Assurance in Aus. Two Koolie breeders seem to at least be doing DNA profiling for purity and genetic disease. I like that as I'm concerned there is at least some breeders that are creating herding mixes and passing them off as Koolies (particularly the big breeder in the US). Are there any plans to have profiling like that done?

I'm not so much interested in Koolies, but Kelpies have run kind of parallel to them (they have more presence in the states as ranch dogs) so I do take interest in these threads.

Old 01-04-2013, 07:03 PM
Top Dog

I don't understand, why don't people want to health test their Koolies?