Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Dog Breeds

Old 01-03-2013, 09:51 AM
Top Dog

I know this is extremely picky, but I don't really prefer their look. :P I love their personality and everything (I've met a bunch of GSPs), but don't prefer the way Pointers look.

Crystal - female - German Shepherd x Sheltie mix - DOB: 8/1/09 - 40 lbs
Old 01-03-2013, 10:18 AM
Puppy Dog

If you are going to be in Texas, check out JP Yousha with www.chromadane.com - her dogs have done very well in dog sports, and she is a real force to be reckoned with when it comes to researching and ensuring the health of the breed, being the chairwoman of the GDCA Health and Welfare Committee. She co-bred Marlin and has been extremely supportive. I know a dane isn't the usual thought when it comes to a dogsport dog, but large, low shedding, enjoying activity but also happy to snooze on the couch, MAJOR snugglers, well.... You know where my mind went
Old 01-03-2013, 12:48 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrystalGSD View Post
Yes, I was asking about Dobermans
Could SSA be prevented if I were to seek out parents that didn't show any SSA? I understand that it can't be fully prevented 100%, but would having parents/pedigree which lacks SSA make it easier to get a pup that won't develop it? I apologize for bombarding you with questions, lol.

(Please excuse typos, this was written on my cell phone.)
To be honest, I really don't know. I don't think there is ever any way to guarantee it. There's no denying that the breed is highly prone to SSA. I used my breeder's dogs as an example as just based on them it appears that SSA might have some genetic relation (since her dogs are pretty much all easy going with other dogs), but even with that, she refuses to sell a male puppy to a home with an existing male dog and she's also very picky when placing female puppies in homes with existing female dogs as a precautionary measure. Most breeders do the same, whether the litter's parents/relatives showed any SSA or not. It's just part of the breed.

So no, there's not really a way to prevent it. If there was, I'd probably be more apt to have more Dobermans in the future. It seems it's way more common than not just according to my Doberman forum. I just seem kind of fortunate that I personally don't know many truly SSA Dobermans and mine are not either. And the couple of SSA aggressive dogs I do know are only that way with dogs that live with them and are fine meeting new dogs. Life would not be nearly as much fun for my dogs or me if they were same sex aggressive because so much of my life involves being around other dogs and large groups of dogs and also, there is nowhere here really other than off leash parks to exercise them properly.

That's why I said that match everything on your list except perhaps the part about being doggy social necessarily. :-)

Hopefully that's worded ok... it's kind of hard to explain.

Journey - Oracle Twist of Fate TreeStarr
Ripley
Dance - Tollwest's Dancing In Style CGN FM RN
Old 01-03-2013, 01:29 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toller_08 View Post
So no, there's not really a way to prevent it. If there was, I'd probably be more apt to have more Dobermans in the future. It seems it's way more common than not just according to my Doberman forum. I just seem kind of fortunate that I personally don't know many truly SSA Dobermans and mine are not either. And the couple of SSA aggressive dogs I do know are only that way with dogs that live with them and are fine meeting new dogs. Life would not be nearly as much fun for my dogs or me if they were same sex aggressive because so much of my life involves being around other dogs and large groups of dogs and also, there is nowhere here really other than off leash parks to exercise them properly.
With the bolded part, that is what I've heard from in GSDs. They are fine with new dogs, and dogs in dog park situations, but don't tolerate dogs of the same gender living in the same house as them. Shedding and SSA are the only real cons I see with the GSD, and SSA is the only con I really see with a Dobie.

I'm really on the fence, at the moment. I've never really been extremely into dog events, and I'm unsure if I even will be with this future dog. I'll keep Dobies in mind, but the SSA is a bit worrying for me. Of course, it depends how many dog events are around my area in the first place.

Old 01-04-2013, 12:22 PM
Top Dog

I wouldn't recommend a doberman for what you're looking for. A collie, either rough or smooth, came to mind.

http://www.adorablebeasts.blogspot.com
Old 01-04-2013, 05:05 PM
Top Dog

I live with two GSD mix bitches. They get along with each other beautifully. The issues we had early on were resource guarding related to their RR boy buddies (Scout's owner right before me owns the younger one and her daughter the older RR/lab mix boy) and me, once we worked through that and they built a bond we've had zero issues. IMO none of the issues we had early on were SSA.

They are very social with other dogs both male and female and Lily has really helped Scout develop healther dog/dog social skills. Scout can be really unsure and also gets overexcited at times, but thats because she wasn't properly socialized as a puppy and she also tends toward being a sensitive girl genetically. The longer I live with Scout the more I realize how big an impact her first (very inexperienced) owner had on her early development.

My mini Aussie foster I had last year was a total douche to my parent's BC. Some BC's can tend toward SSA too... but my parent's dog Will is a super mellow and very social guy. The one we had when I was a kid was not at all social with other dogs, people/kids/bunnies/cats/horses yes, but not other dogs... but I suspect the zero socialization growing up had a big role in that...
Zack's (my former foster) new momma tells me he is still pretty douchey to other male dogs despite being neutered and having gotten a ton of socialization in the past year and change. Their only other dog is an almost 9yr old BC female though. There is a reason I didn't place him with people who had another male.
Old 01-04-2013, 06:31 PM
Top Dog

I'm assuming smooth Collies shed as much as rough Collies, yes?

Thanks for the information and suggestions everyone.

At the moment I am really leaning towards English Shepherds or another German Shepherd. That could change, of course.

Old 01-04-2013, 07:44 PM
Top Dog

I agree with what has been said about SSA. I haven't have a Dobe but I have always gotten the idea their SSA issues were similar to GSDs in that it was more about dogs they lived with than dogs they didn't know. Except with males, some males are going to be manly with other manly males but that's true in a lot of breeds.

Quote:
I'm assuming smooth Collies shed as much as rough Collies, yes?

Thanks for the information and suggestions everyone.

At the moment I am really leaning towards English Shepherds or another German Shepherd. That could change, of course.
Smooth Collies shed as much as regular coated GSDs, if that helps. As long as you are getting a male, it shouldn't matter unless you plan to have 3 dogs in the future.
Old 01-04-2013, 08:21 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleron View Post
Smooth Collies shed as much as regular coated GSDs, if that helps. As long as you are getting a male, it shouldn't matter unless you plan to have 3 dogs in the future.
Thanks for putting that in GSD terms, After getting this 2nd dog, I won't be getting another until I move out, and at that time Crystal will be staying behind with my parents, since she is technically 'their' dog, so household SSA probably won't affect me much.

Old 01-04-2013, 08:25 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
I've heard that English Shepherds aren't great dog park dogs, they tend to be bossy, if that's what you're looking for. Hudson is great with other dogs currently, but can get a bit annoyed when other dogs are too loud.

Peco,
Male Lacy Game Dog
June 2003 - Feb. 2012

Hudson,
Male black & white English Shepherd
August 27th 2012

Blog - http://thedogreviews.blogspot.com/