Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Forum News > The Fire Hydrant

Old 07-26-2013, 01:08 PM
I'd rather be at Disney

O my word. Just finished Total Body circuit. That one was NOT any easier than the first time I did it lol. The sweat is in my EYES and it BURNS lol. so does everything else lol but I knocked it out. the bummer is I have cardio AGAIN this week.

“Meaninglessness does not come from being weary of pain. Meaninglessness comes from being weary of pleasure.”

G.K. Chesterton
“Family fun is as necessary to modern living as a kitchen refrigerator.” – Walt Disney

Old 07-26-2013, 01:42 PM
Club Terrible - President

New Vibrams are here (correct size, woohoo), going to give them a few days to break in and then start C25K.
Old 07-26-2013, 07:48 PM
Sport Model Pug

I bruised my boob going over the wall over and over at the gym the past week. It's an awkward hurt... Lol

Izzie the Wonderpug RA AGIS AGJIS MADC AGDC MSDC CGN

The Proudest Pug
Old 07-26-2013, 07:58 PM
Show Dog

Zomg, how have I been missing this thread????

I know the year is half over, but mind if I jump in?

I've been trying to find motivation to join the gym - there is one about 2 miles away but I have no idea if their pricing is reasonable. Is anyone here a member of a gym?

The great pleasure of a dog is that you may make a fool of yourself with him and not only will he not scold you, but he will make a fool of himself too." - Samuel Butler
Old 07-26-2013, 08:41 PM
Clicker Cult Coordinator

I belong to a gym! And I love mine.

Go check it out and tell them you're thinking of joining. They should give you a tour.
Figure out what you want out of a gym. If you want to do classes, check out what they offer, if they're free or fee based. Look at the schedule and see if they're offered at a time you can make!
Do you want to go use a treadmill, or lift weights, or whatever? Downstairs of my gym (classes are all upstairs) is about 1/3rd free weights and benches and squat racks, 1/3rd strength training machines, and 1/3rd cardio machines - really nicely balanced for whatever you're looking for. However a ton of guys joined my gym earlier this year because their old gym dumped almost all the free weights so they could fit more treadmills in... great if you want a treadmill but not so good if you're there to lift weights! Make sure whatever you're there for and wanting to do isn't just stuffed into a corner somewhere where they obviously don't care that much about it or the people who workout that way.
If you want a personal trainer see if they have any who work through them. There's almost always at least one personal trainer working with somebody whenever I'm at the gym, so you can maybe take a peek and see if there's anybody there you'd like to work with. BEWARE the personal trainer who will approach you while you're running/squatting/whatever and goes "You're totally doing that wrong WHY DON'T YOU SIGN UP FOR PERSONAL TRAINING??"

Divide the price up based on how often you're there. My gym has a monthly fee that sounded high to me at first, but based on how much I'm there, it's actually cheap... and I just recently found out it's cheaper than some of the other gyms in town. It's cheaper than the YMCA even. And it's really nice. It's newer, clean, and well lit. And everybody is really nice! I've never had anybody be mean (except this one bitch who I'm not even sure if she still works there because every time I saw her she acted like she really didn't want to be working there...) and people are just legit nice to each other. I strike up conversations with total strangers because we are all there for one thing. I have NEVER been hit on in my gym, which is saying something because I can't go out for a run around town without being honked at at least once. I've made friends with some of my instructors. It's just super great and I love it.

BUT gyms are not for everybody. And they are super useless if you pay for it and don't go. My gym was paid for initially by my work when I was at the radio station, but when I quit the station I knew I loved it so much and went so often I committed to paying for it on my own. I'm not positive I ever would have taken the plunge and joined a gym without that work benefit, which would have been a real shame!

Auggie - The Flash RN NAJ MXP MJP CGC
Payton - Sharp Dressed Man NA NAJ CGC
Pepper - Chocolate Swizz-l-icious
& the pest, Georgie - Peach Pudding N Pie NA OAJ
The Sheltiechick Blog
Old 07-26-2013, 08:52 PM
Club Terrible - President

Beanie, you are awesome.

Just wanted to add that you should be sure it isn't too far away and if they have guest passes, take advantage of that if you can. My gym was nice, but half an hour away and it ended up just not being the right one for me, so I cancelled my membership yesterday. Make sure you make the right choice!
Old 07-26-2013, 09:06 PM
Show Dog

Thank you so much for that advice! It was really helpful! This is a pretty big name in the area - its just for women. From what I saw online they had over 50 classes. I will definitely have to make sure if they are fee based - had no idea that they might not come with membership! I know that they just opened this particular location and all the equipment is new. My main goal is to just feel better overall, and of course lose weight/tone up. I don't even want to be like some ridiculously thin model, I would just be happy to lose a pant size!

Thinking of how much the monthly membership is compared to how many times I would go, is totally something I am going to use! Not only to justify it to someone else, but to myself, lol.

I really wanted a gym that my boyfriend could come along with too, but I couldn't find any place between where he lives and where I lived that offered any classes. I am hoping that they won't have some ridiculously expensive cancellation policy if I wind up moving out of the area closer to him!

Thank you again for that awesome advice!!!

The great pleasure of a dog is that you may make a fool of yourself with him and not only will he not scold you, but he will make a fool of himself too." - Samuel Butler
Old 07-27-2013, 03:38 PM
I'd rather be at Disney

T25 speed 1.0 knocked out of the park sweating profusely lol

“Meaninglessness does not come from being weary of pain. Meaninglessness comes from being weary of pleasure.”

G.K. Chesterton
“Family fun is as necessary to modern living as a kitchen refrigerator.” – Walt Disney

Old 07-28-2013, 08:38 PM
I'd rather be at Disney

Tough one today...

25 minutes of ab intervals and 25 minutes of cardio on T25. Spent!!!!

G.K. Chesterton

Old 07-28-2013, 11:32 PM
FINALLY warm ... YAY :D

I really respect anyone who has the bravery to join & work out in a gym, I never could, when though I was never heavy, still the caliber of people who are always in the gyms in my area are like ... Whoa! I could never work out next to them lol not even now.