Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Forum News > The Fire Hydrant

Old 02-25-2013, 01:38 PM
Behavior Nerd

Ooooh yea, not helpful then. Would your SO be willing to at least put the junk somewhere less easily accessed maybe? DH says that the presence of food is what triggers his desire for it, so for him, out of sight IS out of mind.

Old 02-25-2013, 01:46 PM
I'd rather be at Disney

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julee View Post
Easier said than done. I shop healthy, my boyfriend does not. There is always bad food in the house and will be for th forseeable future.
I know it's easier said than done. But it's got to be mind over matter. if you want to do this you HAVE to make the choice to do it, no excuses. not saying you are making excuses but I know how our brains can be when it comes to will power and such. Mine messes with me regularly (just one cookie won't hurt, what's one more... next thing I know I've eaten 5 lol) but now I just keep trying to tell myself that I can have a cookie.. that's ok but I CAN'T HAVE 5 or I'm going to be upset when I step on the scale and I have no one to blame but myself.

“Meaninglessness does not come from being weary of pain. Meaninglessness comes from being weary of pleasure.”

G.K. Chesterton
“Family fun is as necessary to modern living as a kitchen refrigerator.” – Walt Disney

Old 02-25-2013, 02:01 PM
Top Dog

Julee, what about having healthier snack options around? Buy kale chips, nuts, beef jerky, dry fruit, etc. and put them by the junk food your boyfriend buys. Whenever you're craving some snacks and opening up that cabinet, don't stand there deliberating, just grab the healthy snacks and walk away.

I'm a notorious snacking machine, but having almonds, veggies + hummus, 88% dark chocolate, and homemade kale chips around really help. Snacking urges are satisfied, and I eat healthy, too. My roommate always has loads of junk food laying around, but once I have something else to munch on, it's easy to ignore everything else.
Old 02-25-2013, 02:09 PM
Kotah BEAR

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparks19 View Post
I know it's easier said than done. But it's got to be mind over matter. if you want to do this you HAVE to make the choice to do it, no excuses. not saying you are making excuses but I know how our brains can be when it comes to will power and such. Mine messes with me regularly (just one cookie won't hurt, what's one more... next thing I know I've eaten 5 lol) but now I just keep trying to tell myself that I can have a cookie.. that's ok but I CAN'T HAVE 5 or I'm going to be upset when I step on the scale and I have no one to blame but myself.
Again, all hail Tanya.

Last night my grandma made homemade mashed potatoes, fresh green beans, meat loaf, and homemade buttermilk biscuits.
Her taters and biscuits are to DIE FOR. I didn't eat them. They sat in front of my face for 3 hours and smelled like Heaven, but I didn't eat them.
Meatloaf and green beans were fair game though.
Mind over matter, most definitely, is key. Don't get me wrong, it sucks but in the end, it will be SOOOOO worth it.

Stay strong Julee
Old 02-25-2013, 02:35 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakotah View Post
Again, all hail Tanya.

Last night my grandma made homemade mashed potatoes, fresh green beans, meat loaf, and homemade buttermilk biscuits.
Her taters and biscuits are to DIE FOR. I didn't eat them. They sat in front of my face for 3 hours and smelled like Heaven, but I didn't eat them.
Meatloaf and green beans were fair game though.
Mind over matter, most definitely, is key. Don't get me wrong, it sucks but in the end, it will be SOOOOO worth it.

Stay strong Julee
Ugh, this is me too! I still live at home, so "healthy" options aren't the only thing around. My fam aren't the healthiest eaters.

It's definitely a mind over matter thing.

Two days ago, my step-mom brought home Ledo's Pizza. For those who don't know, they're little squares... like honestly, I could probably eat a whole medium pizza by myself, LOL, easily if I wanted to. I had ONE and ONE mozzarella stick. Which was amazing for me. I limited myself - told myself I didn't need more than that. One little taste satisfied me. I'm not going to totally deprive myself because that's where I always go wrong. So if every now and then I give myself a little taste of the things I love, I do better.

I'm not a healthy eater, never have been, so it's extremely hard for me. Total learning process. But I've been keeping track of calories and calories burned in MyFitnessPal which helps me personally. Because sometimes you don't realize just HOW many calories you're consuming in a day. Like one tiny square of that Ledo's pizza was 171 calories. Usually, I could've eaten like 10 of them .. that's 1710 calories! lol. So yeah. Stay strong -- I know it's hard. I'm in the same boat.

Brit & Jackson

Old 02-25-2013, 02:38 PM
I'd rather be at Disney

Quote:
Originally Posted by JacksonsMom View Post
Ugh, this is me too! I still live at home, so "healthy" options aren't the only thing around. My fam aren't the healthiest eaters.

It's definitely a mind over matter thing.

Two days ago, my step-mom brought home Ledo's Pizza. For those who don't know, they're little squares... like honestly, I could probably eat a whole medium pizza by myself, LOL, easily if I wanted to. I had ONE and ONE mozzarella stick. Which was amazing for me. I limited myself - told myself I didn't need more than that. One little taste satisfied me. I'm not going to totally deprive myself because that's where I always go wrong. So if every now and then I give myself a little taste of the things I love, I do better.

I'm not a healthy eater, never have been, so it's extremely hard for me. Total learning process. But I've been keeping track of calories and calories burned in MyFitnessPal which helps me personally. Because sometimes you don't realize just HOW many calories you're consuming in a day. Like one tiny square of that Ledo's pizza was 171 calories. Usually, I could've eaten like 10 of them .. that's 1710 calories! lol. So yeah. Stay strong -- I know it's hard. I'm in the same boat.
Yes my coach always tells me the 80/20 rule. it's OK to indulge and have something you really want as long as you make it the minimal part of your daily intake and not the main part of your daily intake

“Meaninglessness does not come from being weary of pain. Meaninglessness comes from being weary of pleasure.”

G.K. Chesterton
“Family fun is as necessary to modern living as a kitchen refrigerator.” – Walt Disney

Old 02-25-2013, 02:58 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julee View Post
I feel like such a failure, I haven't done anything in like two weeks. Working out makes me super uncomfortable. I feel fine when it's done, but I'm so so so very uncomfortable while I'm doing it. Dunno what to do about it :\
Two words: Recumbent Bike.

Don't give up.
Old 02-25-2013, 03:14 PM
Clicker Cult Coordinator

Julee, it does get very complicated when you have ED stuff going around. It makes what is for other people a simple battle of wills a serious struggle with your brain. I'm going through something similar. I'm supposed to eat more to fuel my body and I have very real anxiety about "just eat more." It's simple, right? JUST EAT MORE. But it's not that simple for me and it has made it very, very difficult. I think anybody here by this point knows I am serious about my health and fitness, I don't make excuses, and I don't accept excuses - this isn't about excuses.

Think of it this way guys: if somebody is struggling with serious depression (not "I'm down in the dumps," but clinical depression) would it be appropriate to tell them "well just BUCK UP buttercup! It's not that hard! Mind over matter!"

I would have a serious talk with your boyfriend. Do not be accusatory - don't tell him "you keep bringing junk food in the house and I eat it and it's ALL YOUR FAULT." Let him know you're really trying to eat healthy, you're struggling, and you need his support. Ask if he'd be willing to swap out some of his snacks for some healthier options. Go shopping together and try to pick something yummy you might both like - Equinox has great suggestions. I think your biggest key to success will be to get him on board and support you. He doesn't have to JOIN you... just find a happy solution that will work for you both so he can indulge and you can make healthy decisions without having a massive internal battle.

Here's an article on the subject: http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2012...ealthy-spouse/

Auggie - The Flash RN NAJ MXP MJP CGC
Payton - Sharp Dressed Man NA NAJ CGC
Pepper - Chocolate Swizz-l-icious
& the pest, Georgie - Peach Pudding N Pie NA OAJ
The Sheltiechick Blog
Old 02-25-2013, 04:02 PM
I'd rather be at Disney

I wasn't trying to be offensive. I don't even know what the heck EDNOS is. Is it like PCOS (i don't know if that's the right acronym)

I won't offer anymore advice though since it is apparently coming across as accusatory, insensitive or offensive. I really was just trying to help and be supportive

G.K. Chesterton

Old 02-25-2013, 04:12 PM
Top Dog

Well, today, I walked about 3 miles with Jackson. I was leaving my dads house, on my way to work, and realized I had time to stall so we went to a trail over there and did a quick 1 mile walk, headed towards home, and my step-dad called and asked if I could possibly get off work today since we had a Verizon guy coming any time between 8-1... so I got off work, Verizon guy got here around 11:45, after that was settled, decided what the heck... took Jackson to the park closer to this house, and we did another 2 miles, and let him romp in the dog park for 30 mins.

Then came home, and was feeling really sluggish... (TMI, girl stuff) .. I'm bleeding somewhat heavy today (that always happens to me on the 4th day, when I think it's going to be over, ugh) so really did NOT want to do my 30 day shred. But I talked myself into it and worked through it... I'm so glad I did.

Sooo if the math is all correct, I burned over 700 calories today! I looked online for an approx of what people burn while doing the 30 Day Shred and it was all right around 300 calories? Not sure if that's right or not, I really need to buy one of those devices to put on me and track my calories burned. I use mapmywalk for walking, and burned 137 on the first walk, and 274 on the second. I'm really pumped for nicer weather like we had yesterday and today (well, decent enough to be outside), because I will walk every day I can, along with doing the other stuff.

Brit & Jackson