Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Forum News > The Fire Hydrant

Old 08-06-2013, 10:16 AM
Clicker Cult Coordinator

Don't stretch before. C25K has a built-in warmup walk. Do that and it's all you should need. If you feel like you NEED to stretch (something feels tight) then warm up, stretch, then get back to it. But don't stretch cold muscles.

As to stretching after, it depends. There are studies out there showing even stretching afterward when you're all warmed up can cause or aid in injury. Sometimes because people stretch too deeply. From what I've found, it's about 50-50 split on "yeah stretch after!" or "no, it really doesn't matter."
Really, I know plenty of runners who don't do much stretching at all. A quad stretch, hamstring and/or calf stretch maybe, just quick little routine and then on with the rest of their day. The biggest thing is to not finish your run and then just stop and sit down or something, haha. You have to cool down with a walk too (which is also built in to C25K.)

I wouldn't worry too much about stretching after a run unless you're experiencing some tightness, and then look into stretches specifically for those areas. Quad stretches are nice and feel good! I do some hip flexor stretches because I still experience some hip flexor tightness every now and then, and it feels good - and I might do a wall stretch if my calves are feeling tight, but I don't always. Listen to your body and do what it needs, because everybody is going to need different things.

I would however look in to adding stretching as part of your regular fitness routine, via yoga or pilates. Here's some yoga stretches, I like most of these:
http://www.runnersworld.com/stretching/flexible-routine

This is the DVD I like to do, I try to do it every evening after a run, but sometimes I don't have time for the full DVD and just do some of my fave poses:
http://www.amazon.com/Power-Yoga-Fle...rds=Rodney+Yee

I've also heard good things about this one, but I don't own it:
http://www.amazon.com/Conditioning-A...rds=Rodney+Yee

Auggie - The Flash RN NAJ MXP MJP CGC
Payton - Sharp Dressed Man NA NAJ CGC
Pepper - Chocolate Swizz-l-icious
& the pest, Georgie - Peach Pudding N Pie NA OAJ
The Sheltiechick Blog
Old 08-06-2013, 10:19 AM
Top Dog

Um...I guess I belong in here? My goal is to work out at least three times a week for 10 minutes or more (10 is my magic number - I can almost always convince myself to work out for just ten minutes). And so far it's been awesome and I'm actually 3 pounds under my pre-pregnancy weight, which motivates me to do more.

The main reason I'm posting is to see if anyone has recommendations for cardio workouts I can do at home. I work out early in the mornings and I have no equipment. Help?

I have a blog!! TeamShortLegs - Last updated 10/13/2013
Old 08-06-2013, 10:19 AM
Silence! I ban you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beanie View Post
Don't stretch before. C25K has a built-in warmup walk. Do that and it's all you should need. If you feel like you NEED to stretch (something feels tight) then warm up, stretch, then get back to it. But don't stretch cold muscles.

As to stretching after, it depends. There are studies out there showing even stretching afterward when you're all warmed up can cause or aid in injury. Sometimes because people stretch too deeply. From what I've found, it's about 50-50 split on "yeah stretch after!" or "no, it really doesn't matter."
Really, I know plenty of runners who don't do much stretching at all. A quad stretch, hamstring and/or calf stretch maybe, just quick little routine and then on with the rest of their day. The biggest thing is to not finish your run and then just stop and sit down or something, haha. You have to cool down with a walk too (which is also built in to C25K.)

I wouldn't worry too much about stretching after a run unless you're experiencing some tightness, and then look into stretches specifically for those areas. Quad stretches are nice and feel good! I do some hip flexor stretches because I still experience some hip flexor tightness every now and then, and it feels good - and I might do a wall stretch if my calves are feeling tight, but I don't always. Listen to your body and do what it needs, because everybody is going to need different things.

I would however look in to adding stretching as part of your regular fitness routine, via yoga or pilates. Here's some yoga stretches, I like most of these:
http://www.runnersworld.com/stretching/flexible-routine

This is the DVD I like to do, I try to do it every evening after a run, but sometimes I don't have time for the full DVD and just do some of my fave poses:
http://www.amazon.com/Power-Yoga-Fle...rds=Rodney+Yee

I've also heard good things about this one, but I don't own it:
http://www.amazon.com/Conditioning-A...rds=Rodney+Yee
Excellent info, Beanie! I love doing yoga and find myself reverting to the good old "Sun Salutation" when I just want to get an overall "cat stretch" feeling.
Old 08-06-2013, 10:31 AM
Clicker Cult Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taqroy View Post
The main reason I'm posting is to see if anyone has recommendations for cardio workouts I can do at home. I work out early in the mornings and I have no equipment. Help?
What do you like to do? Walking with the baby? Running? I think you're good to go because the kiddo is old enough by now, but check with your doctor first to make sure you're cleared to start working out again!! Seriously, they always say to check with a doctor first and I know rarely do people actually do it, but I would really really recommend it in your case.

Most of the things I'm coming up with are more strength training, but when you do them with intensity and quickly, your heart-rate elevates, so it's both strength and cardio.

How about CrossFit at home?
http://laxcrossfit.com/home-wods/

One of my faves, I know I've linked this here before:
http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2009...-build-muscle/

This one is 20 minutes, not 10, but might work with some modifications:
http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2010...hotel-workout/

Here's a ton of home workout ideas! Fair warning, the videos get a fair bit of criticism (and IMO not entirely undeserved) for being over-sexed. But the info is good.
http://www.bodyrock.tv/

Auggie - The Flash RN NAJ MXP MJP CGC
Payton - Sharp Dressed Man NA NAJ CGC
Pepper - Chocolate Swizz-l-icious
& the pest, Georgie - Peach Pudding N Pie NA OAJ
The Sheltiechick Blog
Old 08-06-2013, 10:34 AM
Silence! I ban you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taqroy View Post
Um...I guess I belong in here? My goal is to work out at least three times a week for 10 minutes or more (10 is my magic number - I can almost always convince myself to work out for just ten minutes). And so far it's been awesome and I'm actually 3 pounds under my pre-pregnancy weight, which motivates me to do more.

http://www.beachbody.com/product/fit...ute_trainer.do

I did this exclusively for the first 6 months of my life change this year. Lost over 70 pounds doing this and eating better. Down 90 total now and using the TMT program for the "muscle" workouts and my running for the cardio.
Old 08-06-2013, 11:22 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beanie View Post
What do you like to do? Walking with the baby? Running? I think you're good to go because the kiddo is old enough by now, but check with your doctor first to make sure you're cleared to start working out again!! Seriously, they always say to check with a doctor first and I know rarely do people actually do it, but I would really really recommend it in your case.
I love hiking with the baby (it's an extra workout because I usually wear her, nothing like hiking up a hill with 15 pounds of deadweight lol) but I don't have a hiking buddy right now so I haven't been doing it much. Off topic, but that's one thing I really miss about being baby free - I'm okay stranding myself in the wilderness, I'm not okay stranding myself and Falon. I...sort of loathe running if it's not on an elliptical. I did specifically ask the doctor at my six week check up if it was okay to do more intensive stuff and she cleared me! I've been keeping tabs on everything and I started out really slow because I was SO out of shape.

Thank you so much for the links! I've been doing pilates and a balance pod workout but I need to switch it up before I get bored. That nerdfitness site looks AWESOME.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddieq View Post
http://www.beachbody.com/product/fit...ute_trainer.do

I did this exclusively for the first 6 months of my life change this year. Lost over 70 pounds doing this and eating better. Down 90 total now and using the TMT program for the "muscle" workouts and my running for the cardio.
That looks really interesting! I need to make sure I can stick with a workout routine before I invest that much money though. Maybe this will be my 12 week reward. I'm almost to six weeks now.

I have a blog!! TeamShortLegs - Last updated 10/13/2013
Old 08-06-2013, 05:14 PM
Show Dog

I have to say, I really liked the Zumba DVDs. I liked them so much, that I am doing Zumba classes at the gym twice a week.

Jillian Michaels has a Yoga shred (will double check the name later) that got my heart pumping. It's not cardio, but it got my heart going. The Tae Bo videos were good too. The only thing I had a hard time with was that the instructors face the camera. I tend to get mixed up with my moves that way LOL.

The great pleasure of a dog is that you may make a fool of yourself with him and not only will he not scold you, but he will make a fool of himself too." - Samuel Butler

Last edited by SoCrafty; 08-06-2013 at 05:15 PM. Reason: ARGH. dumb phone autocorrects!
Old 08-07-2013, 09:23 AM
♥Chloe & Violet♥

Oh my Lord. Started working out with a friend of a friend who is a personal trainer today. It kicked my butt. HARD. Like...sweat was dripping off of my face, and I don't ever sweat from my face, I'm an armpit sweat-er LOL! It was crazy. But I'm excited. It feels good.

Chloe - 8 y/o Dachshund/Chihuahua | Violet - 2 y/o Siberian Husky
Rest in peace - Holly (Siberian Husky)|Misty (Siberian Husky)|Princess (Silky Terrier)
Forever in my heart - Dixie (Yorkshire Terrier)|Lucy (Silky Terrier/Yorkie Mix)
Old 08-07-2013, 09:29 AM
I'm All Ears

I haven't lost any weight at all. . I've been busting my ass with my personal trainer, gave up cokes, strayed cooking my own meals and... Nothing. It's really disappointing and frustrating. I know I need to get back on medicine for my Pcos but I was hoping for SOME improvement on my own.

Feeling really down about it all. Why do I bust my ass for no results.
Old 08-07-2013, 09:32 AM
Silence! I ban you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurelin View Post
Feeling really down about it all. Why do I bust my ass for no results.
NO results? Do you feel any different or do you clothes fit any differently? Sometimes, weight really just is a number. Your body takes time to make changes. Don't get fed up because you don't get the result you were expecting. You can and will accomplish anything you set out to do!

Believe in yourself and what you are trying to accomplish. The rest is window dressing.