Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Forum News > The Fire Hydrant

Old 12-17-2013, 11:46 PM
Top Dog

Default Resume question

I'm updating my resume, since I've graduated and am looking for a full-time job.

My question is on work history. I've only been working since 2005. In the time, I've had two zoo jobs (plus volunteering), the vet job, USPS data entry job, and a job in the library.

I worked in the library for 4 months in the summer of 2006. I don't have any references there, and I don't feel like it adds anything to my resume. Should I still include it? The only other "odd duck" is the USPS job, but I feel like data entry is good experience, since there's a surprising amount of data entry involved in zookeeping, and data entry is a huge part of my current zoo job. But the library one...I really want to leave it off. I just don't know if doing so would help or hurt. Input?

Also, anyone want to critique my resume?
Old 12-17-2013, 11:52 PM
Resident fainting goat

If you feel it doesn't help, leave it off.
I don't ever include really short term/random jobs.. and employers have mentioned that they like the stability of my few, solid, steady jobs
Leave it on if the job involves libraryish work.. but otherwise, I wouldn't feel bad just kicking it off

Disclaimer: I work for Trupanion and love it/our policy! But I do not speak for the company or as the company.
Old 12-17-2013, 11:57 PM
Clicker Cult Coordinator

Include it if you are concerned about gaps in your employment history. If you were also volunteering at the zoo during that time period (otherwise "employed"), I wouldn't worry about including it. Employment history gaps can often be easily explained once you get to the interview stage - you were a student at the time and were taking the summer off - but sometimes they can prevent you from getting to that interview stage. Make everything else bangin' good if you have a gap in employment and they're less likely to notice it and put much weight on it.

If you do decided to include it: there's always something in a job that can add to your resume - did you work with other people? The general public? Were you part of a team? Maybe you worked on a complex project or had something challenging you were faced with and had to problem-solve to come up with a good solution. Think about general skills that make you a valuable employee in ANY job. There's always always always something.

Auggie - The Flash RN NAJ MXP MJP CGC
Payton - Sharp Dressed Man NA NAJ CGC
Pepper - Chocolate Swizz-l-icious
& the pest, Georgie - Peach Pudding N Pie OA OAJ
The Sheltiechick Blog
Old 12-18-2013, 12:01 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Include it if you are concerned about gaps in your employment history. If you were also volunteering at the zoo during that time period (otherwise "employed"), I wouldn't worry about including it.
I did volunteer at the zoo at the time, it was the only thing that kept me sane. I HATED the library so, SO much.

Quote:
If you do decided to include it: there's always something in a job that can add to your resume - did you work with other people? The general public? Were you part of a team? Maybe you worked on a complex project or had something challenging you were faced with and had to problem-solve to come up with a good solution. Think about general skills that make you a valuable employee in ANY job. There's always always always something.

I learned I can't survive in a non-animal-related position? I did learn the Dewey Decimal System, which our zoo library does NOT use, and it drives me nuts. Really, why make up your own organization system when a standard that makes sense already exists? Both myself and the other office person have dewey decimal experience, and neither of us can make heads or tails of the way our zoo library is organized. /end tangent

Quote:
I don't ever include really short term/random jobs
And that leads me to my next question. Should I include my practicum hours (120 hours in two areas I never worked in before) under education, or under work/volunteer experience? Practicum is different than straight-up volunteering, because you get to do almost everything a paid full time keeper can do, except lock/unlock doors/gates.
Old 12-18-2013, 08:32 PM
Uffda!

If it's a short gap from over five years ago and it won't help you, leave it off. It's not something that would throw up a flag for me.

It's job hopping that always concerns me when I review a resume.