Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Food and Recipes

Old 03-29-2006, 08:30 PM
German Shepherds Rock

Default Home cooked Meals

I was advised to put Roy [ 1-year old male GSD ]on home cooked meals to try and control his soft and voluminous stools that has been ongoing for about 5-6 months. I have tried several vets and the last one has put him on Viokase which is an enzyme because the vet. suspects that Roy has EPI. With Viokase, the stool is a bit firmer but still voluminous. The recommendation was skinless and boneless chicken and rice both boiled in water and some salt. My questions are :

1. Is this enough nutrition given that he might be on it for 6-7 months ?
2. If I am to add some vegetables, what should I add and should the veggies be cooked or raw ?
3. Is it OK if I add some kibble, just a little bit may 1/2 or 1/4 cup. ?
4. Maybe I mistaken, chicken will provide fat and rice will provide carbs., what should I add to provide fibre, both digestable and indisgestable ?

2 Faithful Shepherds Watch Over Me

Roy & Tia

"The mediocre teacher tells.
The good teacher explains.
The superior teacher demonstrates.
The great teacher inspires."

William Arthur Ward
Old 03-29-2006, 08:48 PM
Quigleyfied

1. No it clearly isn't. It's not a balanced diet and needs some tweaking - first and foremost for proper mineral content, but it's also lacking vitamins.
2. You can use a variety of veggies, either cooked or raw, but if you are exploring digestive issues, I would go with relatively bland, easily digested veggies, and they should be cooked and pureed.
3. No, it would defeat the purpose of the home made diet if you add processed food to it.
4. Grains, including rice, contain fiber, but in your dog's individual situation you'll want to go with a low residue diet, which means only minimal amounts of indigestible fiber.
- Product Research

I've been frosted!