Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Food and Recipes

Old 07-16-2005, 03:47 PM
Active Pup

Thanks for the feedback. Perhaps I'll just stick to the Royal Canin for now & see if they have tha Buffalo one at Petsmart. I'm going to look into ordering Innova as strange as it might feel to have UPS deliver my dog food. Anything for my Zlata.
Old 07-16-2005, 04:37 PM
Puppy Dog

Mordy, by feeding the bones, aren't you exposing the risk of choking? How do you feed them these bones? I buy large raw hens at Costco and boil them whole so I figure I can spare a few from time to time and use the organs inside as well as the meat.. and we're talking all raw correct? Thanks again, you rock!
Old 07-16-2005, 04:51 PM
yuckaduck

I'm not arguing here but I lost a dog due to chicken bones so how do you feed whole chicken carcasses if they are not suppose to eat chicken bones. Just wondering because we are seriously looking into going raw for Yukon. No positive decisions yet but we are thinking strongly toward it. I do lack the brain power to figure these things out.
Old 07-17-2005, 07:49 AM
Top Dog

Bones are ok, just raw, I believe. Once cooked or smoked they can splinter. But yes, chicken bones would seem small.
Old 07-17-2005, 08:51 AM
yuckaduck

The ones Jesie got into were cooked, and we lost him even after humungous vet bills. So I'm nervous of chicken bones. We are going with the raw diet and buying the food prepared already from mountain foods. It is the only one close to us and that way I won't have to worry about taking time to prepare, so busy with the kids. I found the chat room last night and plan to frequent that as I learn lots and it helped me get through our first night loose.
Old 07-17-2005, 07:53 PM
Felurian

Raw bones don't splinter like processed bones and do a lovely job of cleaning teeth.

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

There are few things more nauseating than pure obedience. ~ Kvothe

***8206;"silence is the language of god, all else is poor translation."
Rumi
Be a god. Know when to shut up.

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 07-24-2005, 06:08 AM
Top Dog

Well, while we're on the topic, what about fed Vets All Natural Complete Mix Puppies 0 2 years? We're getting a GS pup next week and she's been on that and raw bones. Is that ok? Or should i switch her to some other food? Thx
Old 07-25-2005, 01:46 AM
Quigleyfied

raw bones aren't a problem, at least not if a dog chews them properly. for dogs who just gulp their food down without chewing (even if you feed large pieces), or if you just can't stand the idea of feeding smaller bones as meals at all, you can always grind them up along with the meat. if in doubt, just feed larger pieces the dog has to work on more.

good meat grinders cost around $200 and are well worth the investment compared to paying for premade ground raw food. they do not handle really large bones, but entire chicken and rabbit carcasses, turkey necks and wings, lamb and pork ribs etc. are not a problem.

i know the concept of going against so many things that have been handed down is difficult, but reading the books i mentioned will make many things much, much clearer.
- Product Research

I've been frosted!
Old 07-25-2005, 02:16 PM
OOO YEA SHHHAKE IT!!

So what you are saying Morby is to feed a puppy, a good adult dog food, not puppy food?
Old 07-25-2005, 02:58 PM
Top Dog

No that is not what she is saying. She is saying that you can feed any dog, puppy, working, senior citizen a food that is approved for all life stages, like Canidae. You have to find it specifically on the bag to determine if it is acceptable for all life stages.