Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Food and Recipes

Old 01-27-2005, 10:06 PM
Big German Shepherd

Default Best Puppy Food?

As you may know, I've said it in almost every post:

I'm getting a German Shepherd in six weeks! And I was wondering what is the best but affordable puppy food to get? Any suggestions on that would be great.

And also when should I stop feeding my dog puppy food? I was thinking after 12 weeks because that's when his last puppy shot is. Thank you .
Old 01-28-2005, 12:29 AM
Felurian

You typically feed puppy food until about 12 to 18 months old.

If you'll go to www.greatdanelady.com and read her articles on dog food you'll get good answers to your question.

If you feed your pup anything from Purina, Pedigree, Alpo, Iams, Eukanuba, Science DIEt you aren't really saving money over a quality food. You'll be feeding significantly more and the food related health problems, particularly skin ailments, that crop up as your dog becomes elderly get frustrating, expensive and are painful for your dog. German Shepherds are particularly susceptible to food related skin problems. I've had GSDs since I was 12 and would give anything if I'd known what I now know about dog food!

You'll want to read through some of the threads in this forum too, particularly the sticky ones at the top.

Now, don't forget to post some photos of your new pup in the Members' Gallery when you get him/her! There's just not much any cuter than a German Shepherd puppy in my book!

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

There are few things more nauseating than pure obedience. ~ Kvothe

***8206;"silence is the language of god, all else is poor translation."
Rumi
Be a god. Know when to shut up.

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian

Last edited by Renee750il; 01-28-2005 at 12:46 AM.
Old 01-28-2005, 12:39 AM
Island dweller

What Renee said ^

My favourite is Innova. It's great and the company doesn't use invasive testing on animals. In fact, they rescue lab animals and rehabilitate them

www.naturapet.com

There are tons of posts on this issue that you can look up. It comes up a lot and as you will see not everyone here agrees on the best dog food.
Old 01-28-2005, 04:10 AM
Quigleyfied

i would not feed a puppy food at all, but instead go with a good quality adult food. it will allow for slower, more even growth and help avoid orthopedic problems.

innova is an excellent choice, and if you can't get that, canidae is a close second. eagle pack also makes a few nice varieties, but i'd stay away from anything except the "holistic" ones.

there are more good brands, but i don't know what's locally available to you.
Old 01-28-2005, 10:39 PM
Big German Shepherd

I've heard lots about eukanuba and pedigree and iams but does it say on the bag "for puppies" or something. Cause it seems like those are for big dogs or for when my GS is fully grown. Or is there a seperate bag? Thanks for everyone's help.
Old 01-28-2005, 11:02 PM
Quigleyfied

if you absolutely think you must feed a puppy food (which, again, i do not recommend), look for something that states it's formulated specifically for large breeds. eagle pack makes a nice one.

an adult food that states "suitable for all lifestages" is the better choice, so for innova that would be the green bag, not the red one.
Old 01-29-2005, 10:32 AM
Felurian

Have you read Linda Arndt's articles about feeding puppies on the link I gave you? That should answer your questions in greater detail.

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

Rumi

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 01-29-2005, 02:28 PM
Playful Husky Pup

I usually feed my dogs homemade food aka Raw but I also add Innova to their diet at times.

When I have puppies and their ewaning or i get a younger pup i feed them Puppy cereal with scraps from the other dogs meals like bits of fat or shredded beef into the mix. Usually though around 11-12 I start introducing the regular food my other dogs eat including the innova.

And since feeding raw is pretty expensive especially if you go organic like I do I would do like everyone else is suggesting and feed you puppy Innova.

Pets name: Chaos

Pets name: Blue Moon

Pets name: Cajun

Pets name: Smoothie
Old 01-29-2005, 02:55 PM
Andy

is "chicken soup for the dog lovers soul" good? my mom bought that for roxy when she ran out of food and there was only 1 day left until my aunt came down to pick her up with more food. roxy seemed to have loved it! i also showed my aunt that website with the eukanuba animal cruelty thing. but the chicken soup for the dog lovers soul was teh cheapest so my mind just got it, since she only had but a little cash in her pocket at the time
Old 01-29-2005, 03:08 PM
Felurian

From what I've heard and read it's one of the better foods. Linda Arndt has it on her "short list" of good dog foods, and her recommendation is better than mine!

Rumi

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian