Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Dog Breeds

Old 01-30-2005, 02:57 PM
Big German Shepherd

Alright thanks, I was looking into walking him and I know I can do that at least once a day. I think I'll look into a puppy kindergarten. Do you pay monthly for puppy kindergarten, and is it expensive? How long is he going to be there? Sorry, for all these questions I just want to get everything straight. And thanks for the help .
Old 01-30-2005, 03:09 PM
Felurian

You're going to be such a good Shepherd person! Now, don't get so worried and wound up in what you're "supposed" to do that you miss the sheer spontaneous joy and the little day to day mischief of your very first German Shepherd.

Truthfully, I have no idea how much puppy kindergartens and trainers are. They're definitely a boon, but I've got to admit I've only used training classes once, and that was when Purdue was 4 years old. By all means, take advantage of them because they will not only make things easier, they'll give you all sorts of opportunities to see your new puppy do all sorts of funny things that will only happen in that setting.

Just don't forget to have fun! Puppies are fun and they understand fun and yours will teach you the joy of all sorts of small, simple silliness and the importance of not being too serious.

He's only going to be a puppy for a very short time, so make the most of it.

Oh, and by the way, when he hits adolescence somewhere around 7 to 9 months, you'll think you have the dumbest dog that ever managed to walk. It passes. Their brains start to function again and they become these amazingly intelligent and rational creatures and you wonder if you just dreamed the part where that doggy brain went AWOL.

With a German Shepherd, it's all about love and realizing that you're dealing with a rational, intelligent creature.

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

There are few things more nauseating than pure obedience. ~ Kvothe

***8206;"silence is the language of god, all else is poor translation."
Rumi
Be a god. Know when to shut up.

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 01-30-2005, 04:36 PM
Big German Shepherd

Wow thank you! I've wanted a dog for like five years but there have been so many complications that I was never able to have one and now finally, in six weeks I can have my very own GS! I'm just so happy! Again thanks for all the help!
Old 01-30-2005, 08:57 PM
Top Dog

I agree....after the shots do as much as you can with them. Regular parks always have kids and dogs on leashes walking around ....most outdoor cafes or bars allow pets here and that's great too....everyone wants to pet a pup.
Old 02-01-2005, 07:22 PM
Top Dog

I loved my classes. I did kindergarten and agility for young dogs. It was a blast...met all kinds of nice people and their pups. I drove once a week for an hour class. It was an hour and a half drive for me, but worth it. The obedience (kindergarten) was $60.00 for a 5 week session and the agility was $10.00 each time. (pay at the door) But it will vary considerably depending what part of the country you're in.

Anyhow, it was worth it to me for the extra socialization. Training wasn't the main reason I went. I've always trained my dogs myself. But this Doberman I really felt needed more....more socializing, more training. So, we'll continue doing stuff with him forever. It's too much fun not to and they're so very capable of so much more than we think sometimes. So, it's really neat to be very involved with our dogs....very neat!
Old 02-02-2005, 04:33 PM
Big German Shepherd

Yeah, I think kindergarten class for my pup sounds great.
Old 02-14-2005, 11:39 PM
Active Pup

apollo...He is the best dog i have ever owned! you wont regret this choice!
Old 02-15-2005, 12:05 AM
Big German Shepherd

Man! What an awesome looking dog! I don't think I'll regret it either! 4 more weeks!!
Old 02-15-2005, 12:10 AM
Active Pup

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDog2191
Man! What an awesome looking dog! I don't think I'll regret it either! 4 more weeks!!
thanks! another pic of apollo is at the new member forum.
Old 02-15-2005, 03:55 PM
no touchy

I have a BC/GSD mix, who is mostly BC. However I have been around purebred GSDs, including a long-haired called Coke. He was a great dog though he could come off as aggressive towards those passing by. He loved his owners (though they made him live outdoors and he barked out of boredom due to this), and was simply a great dog. GSDs are such loyal, loving dogs, great for families because they are gentle with their family but good guard dogs.
What are these tears upon your face?
Soon you will see, all of your fears will pass away.
And you'll be here, in my arms.
Just sleeping.