Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Health Care

Old 01-06-2013, 12:13 AM
SevenSins

Is it possible that, since he has an underbite, he may also have something like TMD and grinds in the colder months because the weather causes discomfort in the joint? I realize that Boxers are "supposed" to have an underbite as per the breed standard, but it's not natural in canines and can cause other dental issues, why not that one?
Old 01-06-2013, 12:16 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by SevenSins View Post
Is it possible that, since he has an underbite, he may also have something like TMD and grinds in the colder months because the weather causes discomfort in the joint? I realize that Boxers are "supposed" to have an underbite as per the breed standard, but it's not natural in canines and can cause other dental issues, why not that one?
That's definitely a possibility. If we end up knocking him out for xrays, we'll try to take a picture of that joint too.
Old 01-12-2013, 06:50 AM
Top Dog

My Pit Mix Gus ground his teeth anytime he was upset about something. Like being in the car in a rainstorm, or during fireworks season. Other than having shiny flat spots on his back teeth, it caused no problems and his teeth were still in great shape and white at 14.5. It did get loud at times though.
Old 01-23-2013, 06:11 PM
Top Dog

Well, the ranitidine and reglan didn't work. Didn't do ANYTHING. So, Gavroche was started on prozac a week ago.

I already see a HUGE reduction in his grinding - not completely gone yet, but I was told to give it 4 weeks or so for it to really be effective. He's also been slightly less touchy about his butt (he doesn't like people touching his butt and will jump up and run to a corner and look offended ).

I still don't know for sure if it's the meds...or if he would have stopped at this point anyway. So, I'm thinking I'll either keep him on it and see if he starts again next winter, or stop in the spring and start again in October and see if he starts grinding again.