Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Forum News > The Fire Hydrant

Old 12-28-2012, 04:26 PM
swimming upstream

Default Are you a saver or a tosser?

I have spent my entire day cleaning out my cedar chest--which is full of items from my kids school days, birthday cards, etc. 3 kids--the youngest one is 20--so you do the math! I have cleaned through and tossed about half of it--but did decide to hang onto some of their artwork, report cards, and some birthday cards.
I found it difficult to let go of some things--especially cards from those who have passed on.

So tell me, am I alone in my hoarding tendency? Do you keep, or do you toss?
Old 12-28-2012, 04:32 PM
Resident fainting goat

Toss.
Living in a tiny studio apartment teaches you nothing if not how to not waste storage space lol
I've never been very sentimental about things.. and I've always liked the look of very neat minimalist places, so, things don't tend to hang around lol

If it can't be A. Incorporated into the wall art/decor somehow OR B. Shoved into my ONE shoebox of random keepsakes.. it gets tossed.
Some things get scanned/saved first (special letters, cards people took time to write, pictures etc..) but yea, most things just get dumped lol
Old 12-28-2012, 04:32 PM
<--------Orson

Not alone. I have a few crates full of school items........artwork, report cards, certain interesting things. I kept the Time magazine flyers they handed out once a month when my oldest was in first grade.......they are a GREAT time line for that year.

I have stacks of cards, ribbons, perfect attendance awards, science medals....blah blah blah. Important to them then, they don't care about them now, but I need to hold them 'cause they might want them later! LOL

I am not one for saving holiday cards though, sometimes wish I had them all back though.
Old 12-28-2012, 04:34 PM
Top Dog

I toss everything I can get my hands on. Keepsakes, sentimental things, papers, books, knickknacks, pictures, people....

I don't hold onto much. I like clean, minimalistic things.
Old 12-28-2012, 04:36 PM
Top Dog

I do tend to keep a lot of things that are sentimental to me, but I throw out the less meaningful birthday cards and stuff. I've moved across country so many times I have really trimmed down in what I keep. I do have token type items from various things I find from time to time and am thankful I hung on to them, it's nice to look at them. I keep meaning to start a box of memory stuff.

Old 12-28-2012, 04:40 PM
Sit! Good dog.

Tosser.... Who'd want to be a tosser *sniggers*
"Dogs are our link to paradise. They do not know jealousy or discontent. To sit with a dog on a hillside on a glorious afternoon is to be back in Eden, where doing nothing wasn't boring, it was peace."

Bodhi is the opposite of ignorance, the insight into reality which destroys mental afflictions and brings peace.

Owned by Bodhi Booglaoo and Fredington Holbein

Old 12-28-2012, 04:52 PM
I'd rather be at Disney

Saver through and through. I save everything lol.

“Meaninglessness does not come from being weary of pain. Meaninglessness comes from being weary of pleasure.”

G.K. Chesterton
“Family fun is as necessary to modern living as a kitchen refrigerator.” – Walt Disney

Old 12-28-2012, 04:59 PM
Top Dog

Toss. I've moved 4 times and one of them was an overseas move and I was only able to bring a suitcase of stuff, lol. So I don't really care about stuff, usually.

My main issue is to find ways to get rid of things. I don't want to trash books or toys, but sorting through everything is torture. So it just sits in bins...
Old 12-28-2012, 05:01 PM
Member of WHODAT Nation.

I save a lot for years then get aggravated with no space and purge .
Old 12-28-2012, 05:02 PM
orange iguanas.

Oh God I save everything. It's ridiculous. I LOVE the look of clean, clutter-free spaces but I will never be able to achieve that lol. I have a billion storage bins because I can't bear to part with things. They hold too many memories! "Memories" that I would completely forget about if I didn't have that item to remind me of it.

I keep pictures, notes, school projects, ticket stubs from everything, cards, drawings.... even clothes! I have so many t-shirts that I don't wear but it's like "oh, I got this on my trip to Chicago!" or "I made this in elementary school!"

Every time I clean, I tell myself I'm going to purge and get rid of the things that don't have meaning behind them. But I CAN'T DO IT.

Juno 2009 :: Happy 2000 :: Lucy 2006 :: Cajun 2013