Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog News and Articles

Old 03-26-2006, 10:23 AM
brock23

Default Are Siberian Husky's the new Pit or Rott?

Insurance companies may think so. Where will it end? How many of our gentle breeds are going to be branded as aggressive in the future?

http://www.boston.com/business/artic..._in_dog_fight/
Old 03-26-2006, 10:25 AM
Who woulda thought <3

Omg... that is ridiculous.. that insurance agency even had Yorkies on the list
Old 03-26-2006, 10:35 AM
Big Dog

these list are the biggest bullshit...

every dog you can turn into a deadly weapon...

no dog is born evil...

http://gprime.net/flash.php/thepitbullproblem
Old 03-26-2006, 10:43 AM
Dobiegurl

Insurance companies could care less about the people health, who have been biten. They are only concerned about the money they will loss. They are only doing this because they see it as a chance to get more money and its a shame responsible dog owners must pay the consequence for owning a dog. All the breed specific stuff is just stupid and means nothing. If a dog has teeth it CAN bite but as the article says, mostly from improper training. So ignorant!!!

A YORKIE, OMG!!!
Old 03-26-2006, 10:48 AM
Who woulda thought <3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dobiegurl

A YORKIE, OMG!!!
Quote:
The black list typically includes Akitas, American bulldogs, American Staffordshire terriers (also known as pit bulls), Chows, Doberman pinschers, German shepherds, and Rottweilers, but dog owners say insurers sometimes also shun boxers, collies, dalmatians, schnauzers, Siberian huskies, and other breeds not as commonly associated with aggression.
Commerce, which underwrites more homes in the state than any other insurer, considers about a dozen types of dogs ''unacceptable," including Yorkshire terriers, a toy breed that rarely weighs more than 7 pounds
Yeah I know
Old 03-26-2006, 11:08 AM
F150 and a .30-06

Wow, but at least they are fighting it.

Our issurance company is fine with the Dobe. No $ increase, but if she bit anyone, they would cover us and then refuse to re-insure us. That makes more sence to me than just saing no in the beginning

Sakkara's And Then There's Emma - My heart. My Soul. My Co-Pilot. Feb 26 2005 - Oct 22 2009
Can Ch Liberty's Surfer Girl TT - You will always be with me
Phil Ch Groundsniffin Secret Solo - National Specialty Winners Bitch, Multi Best Opposite In Show
Old 03-26-2006, 11:10 AM
F150 and a .30-06

Quote:
''Dachshunds have been involved in fatalities, and so have Labradors and cocker spaniels," said Dr. Julie Gilchrist, a medical epidemiologist for the CDC. ''Any dog can bite and any dog can kill." Indeed, a 6-week-old California baby was killed in 2000 by her family's Pomeranian, a breed that averages about 5 pounds.
At least someone's got it right

Sakkara's And Then There's Emma - My heart. My Soul. My Co-Pilot. Feb 26 2005 - Oct 22 2009
Can Ch Liberty's Surfer Girl TT - You will always be with me
Phil Ch Groundsniffin Secret Solo - National Specialty Winners Bitch, Multi Best Opposite In Show
Old 03-26-2006, 11:53 AM
Top Dog

I have a husky and a dobe

Our first home insurere said huskys used to be the number one killer/bitter becuase people kept them in packs so when one attacked they all attacked. I guess they used to be thought of as bad by the companies but it lessened with pits and what not. I think with overbreeding the yhave realized these dog are really mouthy and most people are not ready to deal with it. I definately see my husky as more "dangerous" than my dobe.

the companies are in it to make money. we will only go to one that doens't discriminate. Its not even that I really blame them for doing it though,we all know how horrible some people are with their dogs. I wouldn't trust most people enough to say I'd insure their dogs. I'd also be wary of people with mroe than two dogs and I have four! os I'd never insure myself

If I have any beliefs about immortality, it is that certain
dogs I have known will go to heaven, and very, very few
persons -James Thurber
Old 03-26-2006, 07:02 PM
Top Dog

hah I thought this thread was going to be about how amny people are buying the dogs now...oh well...

As for the list, it doesn't suprise me or really concern me. There's so many insurance agencies out there that if one has a policy like this, it's not going to be hard to find another agency of similar quality and cost to cover you. They're simply being over protective and looking for new money markets.
Old 03-26-2006, 07:32 PM
Den Mother

Unfortuantely this 'black flag' list is the norm for all the insurance agencies in my area. I called every homeowner's insurance company in the phonebook (anonymously) and not one would cover a dobe, most wouldn't even cover the GSD. I had to call back and omit the fact that we owned the dobe to get anyone to even consider us. The last company in the book took us, but cautioned us that if our GSD ever bit anyone they would drop us. (not quite so bluntly, but the understanding was there)