Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 12-29-2012, 12:05 PM
Sport Model Pug

I should clarify that the kennel isn't because Izzie is bad in the car, it's more of a piece of mind for me to have her contained and not flying through the wind shield if we get in an accident. When we go on longer trips with my instructor, Izzie usually lays on the back seat except for Vancouver where all the dogs were crated because we had a grooming table and a bunch of luggage and what not.

Izzie the Wonderpug RA AGIS AGJIS MADC AGDC MSDC CGN

The Proudest Pug
Old 12-29-2012, 12:19 PM
Top Dog

Henry just curls up in the backseat. I have a tiny old Honda civic so it's really the only option at this point.
Old 12-29-2012, 12:50 PM
Top Dog

It depends on which vehicle we're in. My truck has an extended cab. Caleb's spot is the area behind the seat. He's in a Vari Kennel in the Escape. My old truck had a standard cab, and he was seat belted in that.
Old 12-29-2012, 12:50 PM
Top Dog

Crated with the crates strapped securely in.
Old 12-29-2012, 01:04 PM
Top Dog

Crates don't fit in my car and from what I've seen harnesses do nothing in an accident, so they ride free. They are pretty content to crash on the backseat. If all three of mine are together they usually snooze on each other.

I've considered something like this but I don't know if there is enough head room for mine. I may look into it for the cats for the move.
http://www.petego.com/products.aspx?catId=24&prodId=121

Old 12-29-2012, 05:28 PM
orange iguanas.

We use a Roadie.

My dog behaves beautifully in the car but that's not going to stop her from flying into the windshield if I got in an accident..

Juno 2009 :: Happy 2000 :: Lucy 2006 :: Cajun 2013
Old 12-29-2012, 05:32 PM
Love My Mutt <3

We rarely are in a car with her. When we have been, she rides in the back seat with somebody holding onto her.

She has been in a crate in a car, once. I think she was conflicted -- it was her favourite thing ever (car ride) but she was in hell (crate)

Goodbye, Rosey. You were the best girl I could have asked for. 10/15/96-03/08/13

Last edited by JessLough; 12-29-2012 at 05:44 PM.
Old 12-29-2012, 05:38 PM
Top Dog

Zander rides free. He's so big, he can't fit in a crate in the backseat and he pretty much has his own gravitational pull anyway. We've been in two car accident; a spin out and hit a deer. Both times he was sleeping in the back and didn't even flinch. He's only moving if we roll...and then we're all dead anyway.

Generally he's happy to lay down and sleep anyway, so it's not such a big deal. I use a hammock, though, so he doesn't fall between the seats.
Old 12-29-2012, 05:49 PM
Top Dog

My dogs are loose. Probably not the best thing though. I need to start strapping them in. Sunny stays in the back though and behaves, Leo normally likes being in the front and Serenity likes the back seat. Sometimes Leo will go sit in the back. I'm more concerned about the dogs fighting while I'm driving, that's why I wan to separate them.
Old 12-29-2012, 05:51 PM
Top Dog

Mine both ride loose. Gusto gets crated occasionally in someone else's car and doesn't care, but Meg's long-standing stress issues in the car just increase in a crate.

After Elicia Calhoun's accident, I became very stressed about what to do with them in the car, because nothing felt safe. Barring spending $1800 on a crash tested crate (which will be useless if I get a new car), I haven't found an answer that makes me happy. So we maintain status quo.