Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 01-26-2005, 10:07 PM
Island dweller

LOL. Yeah, I can imagine. And trying to keep him from licking. He's a big licker.
Old 01-26-2005, 10:34 PM
Felurian

Just as long as he doesn't pull out any stitching the licking isn't really that big a deal. Dogs' saliva kills all sorts of nasty germy stuff. A little vitamin E oil will help keep down the itching.

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

There are few things more nauseating than pure obedience. ~ Kvothe

***8206;"silence is the language of god, all else is poor translation."
Rumi
Be a god. Know when to shut up.

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 01-26-2005, 10:38 PM
Felurian

Oh, here's a mean little trick to keep them from licking too much. You know the stuff you put on teething babies - I think it's called Numbz-It? Make sure you've got the baby stuff, not the adult strength and put just a drop on his tongue. He'll be so busy trying to figure out why his tongue is all tingly that he'll forget about licking his erstwhile nether regions. I've never used it on a small dog and wouldn't try simply because of the size issue, but it really helped when Shiva had her hide stitched together and kept trying to pull on the bandaging and stitching.

Amazing what you come up with when you're desperate, isn't it?

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

Rumi

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 01-26-2005, 11:41 PM
Island dweller

Those are good tips. I suppose the vitamin E would hurt the bunny either. Better look into it though. They're odd creatures. Mikey's so sleepy. Licking isn't an issue right now!

He had the biggest pee I've ever seen a dog take when we got him out of the vets. He must have held it the whole time. What a good puppy! He could hardly lift his leg poor baby.
Old 01-27-2005, 01:19 PM
Island dweller

Well, I woke up not long ago. I took Mikey out for a pee and went to check on Niblet and found him dead. I have a broken heart right now and I'm very angry at the vet. Everyone on my bunny forum thinks he gave me bad advice plus I knew he looked wrong when I picked him up and asked about it. They said he was fine. He wasn't.
Old 01-27-2005, 01:55 PM
Felurian

Saje, what can we say. You tried to do what was best for Niblet's happiness. You've got a PM in your box from me. [Hugs]

Rumi

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 01-27-2005, 02:17 PM
K-9 lover ;)

Oh Sage...I am so so sorry! You knew something was wrong and they convinced you that everything was ok. You are in my thoughts and prayers.
RIP my sweet baby....
Rudy - 15 year old dalmation/lab mix
Old 01-27-2005, 02:21 PM
Top Dog

I'm so very sorry Saje! My heart and thoughts go out to you. I would definately contact or pay a visit to your vet and let them know what happened.

BIG HUGS
Old 01-27-2005, 02:35 PM
Island dweller

Thanks guys.

My bf just took Niblet's body to the vet. He wants to look at him and figure out what happened. I sent a bunch of print-outs on pre and post-operative care with him. I really think that this could have been prevented.

I know you guys are big dog lovers but Niblet had a wonderful personality. He'd run up to me when I came in his room for head pets and licked my face while I was sleeping a few times - before he got his own room. I really miss him. I didn't think that getting him neutered would go so badly.

For those of you who have rabbits or are thinking about getting them here is the information I sent to the vet so he can be more aware. Maybe it will help someone else:

http://www.bio.miami.edu/hare/ileus.html

http://www.rabbit.org/faq/sections/spay-neuter.html (further down the page is the section on pre and post-operative care.)