Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Training Forum

Old 01-26-2005, 12:28 AM
Active Pup

Exclamation Training a St. Bernard

I have been crate training Missy, my st. bernard, for about five days now. She is about to turn 12 weeks old. She has had no accidents inside the crate during the daytime and night. I have her go straight outside when she gets out of the crate and she has no problems. I work during the daytime and play with her at night/evening. I comed home and let her out to go to potty when I get the chance. When she is free of her crate she has had a few accidents. How long does it usually take a st. bernard to potty train? IS there anything different I need to do to make this a successful expereince for her to learn w/o setbacks? Also, the other night, she started to nip. What's your opinion on stopping this behavior? Can playing w/her cause her to get rough or learn to be aggressive? How can I play w/her and not cause the behavior to happen?
Old 01-26-2005, 03:09 AM
Island dweller

Didn't you already have a thread like this? Sounds familiar.

Sounds like you are doing a good job with crate training. Just be patient.

As for nipping, I think that ignoring her for 10 minutes or so after she nips or by isolating her in some way are good ways to show that you don't play that way. Playing with her is not going to make her aggressive as long as she knows the rules. Scroll through some of the older posts about nipping. It comes up a lot.
Old 01-26-2005, 08:15 AM
Felurian

Most pups go through a nipping stage where they try to see if they can get by with it. It's a natural part of play when they're with their littermates, so you don't need to worry that it's necessarily a sign of impending aggressive behaviour, but you do need to teach her that it's not acceptable play behaviour with humans.

Just like Saje said, when she nips, the play stops immediately and she gets ignored - something a pup hates worse than anything!

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

There are few things more nauseating than pure obedience. ~ Kvothe

***8206;"silence is the language of god, all else is poor translation."
Rumi
Be a god. Know when to shut up.

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 01-26-2005, 09:39 AM
Active Pup

Sounds gr8. I am just trying to make sure I don't do anything to allow behavior to have setbacks. I want to make sure Missy learns properly. I'm not much of a dog trainer but enjoy teaching and want to have a well behaved dog. With the size of a Saint, they have to be in control. So how long am I looking at for the potty training to be effective? This morning after taking kids to school, (one of my kids left the cage open) I was greeted by Missy when i went into the office....along with a small puddle on carpet. So looks like she has not graduated at this time. But there is progress with no poop!!! B4 training began, she would poop anywhere! Anyone have suggestions with crate training? Or approx how long this needs to take? I feel so horriable locking her up in her crate. I am planning on her roaming the house when she is P.T'ed. while I am working and relaxing. Any help is highly appreciated. Saja I did kinda get idea from past post, but thought everyone missed. Thanks for your input....

Last edited by stbernard; 01-26-2005 at 09:40 AM. Reason: change wording
Old 01-26-2005, 12:35 PM
Island dweller

We're glad you are such a dedicated mom.

You can't really put a time frame on crate training/house breaking. It's not a four week or eight week program. Every dog is different. It will take weeks though. Possibly months for real consitency.

I didn't crate train Maverick and I have to say we weren't that religious about house breaking him either. He wouldn't pee or poop outside unless we walked down to the beach and played for a hour or so. He would get too excited about being outside. We didn't really stress about it. We didn't have much furniture and we cleaned up a lot of puddles and poop. Then we moved to an apartment with a balconey and he always went out their on paper. Then we moved out of the city and after that he just go the hang of it. He never had a problem after we left the apartment. That was six months after we got him. We weren't that diligent about it. Just took him for at least two walks a day (at least an hour each) and he was pretty good. So, every dog is different. BTW there are lots of people on here with big dogs (me and Renee for starters) and while we don't have St. Bernards we know what it's like to have those giants in our house.
Old 01-27-2005, 12:20 AM
Active Pup

So I need to follow the crate training steps and keep her in the crate and only let her out to go to the bathroom and play at night for as long as it takes? Which could be more than a week? I take it as she will eventually catch on????? I was home more today and let her roam the house and she had no accidents and I took her out every hour. But then I guess she got mixed up and wet in the crate..grrrrr Good thing I have lots of patience...lol
Old 01-27-2005, 12:40 AM
Island dweller

A good tip is to keep her at your side when she is loose so you can keep an eye on her. You can tie her leash around your waist. That way she is with you all the time and if she is making potty gestures you can distract her and take her outside.

Had she been in the crate long when she peed in there?

It is going to take a lot more than a week to perfect. Some dogs still have accidents when they get excited or scared and they will be like that their whole life. It's part of having a puppy and one of the reasons that I love to adopt adults from resuces. LOL
Old 01-27-2005, 10:23 AM
Active Pup

NO Saje she had only been there about an hour. I have no clue why the backstep? And again this morning, I got up and she was completely dry no messes at all. I took her outside and she relieved herself just like she should. Hopefully the stepback was a mental block..lol
Old 01-28-2005, 09:50 AM
Active Pup

Now, how do I teach Missy to NOT bark? Expecially during playtime? Or any time?
Old 01-28-2005, 05:55 PM
pointer/labrador/terrier

The saint b that I grew up with chewed the legs off of my parents bed so when they replaced them Mom put miracle whip jars over each one...she also taught him to lay down and be covered up when he came in all snowy or wet. The siamese cat took advantage of a warm bed and would get up on his back...she was a terror and the queen so he would hold still. Don't have anything to do with crates..but I thought I woud write it anyway.