Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Dog Breeds

Old 03-24-2006, 05:48 PM
*Finding My Inner Fila*

Well, that woudln't be good, we would all of our dogs to listen to both of us. That might be a problem...
Old 03-24-2006, 07:13 PM
Top Dog

Yes. You would have to both go to doggie class. Hey, I see you are from Fremont. I live in Dallas now but I am from Chino Hills. I miss it so much.
Old 03-24-2006, 08:34 PM
*Finding My Inner Fila*

I hate to ask, where is Chino Hills? hehe... we moved up here in December from the Central Valley......

Well, would both of us attending training (which we would do anyways) help in that matter... or does the dog pick or chose his/her favorite?
Old 03-25-2006, 06:35 AM
Top Dog

Chino Hills is right next to Diamond Bar and Carbon Canyon. It borders Ontario as well. I am home all day so the dogs bonded with me. I am the primary care giver. If you go to dog class together, it will be much better. Also, join a Rhodesian Ridgeback club in your area. Most of these people are experienced and can offer a lot of advise. It is fun to see all the Ridgebacks together.
Old 03-25-2006, 12:16 PM
*Finding My Inner Fila*

Thanks we'll see how our search goes.. we plan to rescue. I appreciate the help and I'll come back to ya if I have any more questions.
Old 03-26-2006, 08:13 AM
Top Dog

check out www.rrcus.org. This is the major nation wide Rhodesian Ridgeback Club. There will be a link up top for rescue. There are two major rescue groups that you can take a look at the dog that are adoptable. There is also the best info on the website about the dogs. I would get in contact with one of foster moms. Take a look at some of the dogs and see if this is the right breed for you. I dont think you will be disappointed. If you decide to go with a breeder, I would use one of the breeders on that website.
Old 03-26-2006, 03:30 PM
Active Pup

i have a three year old male ridgeless ridgeback. keep in mind that ridgeless pups are available, and are usually significantly reduced in price because they have a dq. males are 'a little bigger, a little dumber, and a little sweeter' than females. females tend to be more manipulative, altho logan has plenty of that. logan is 29'' at the shoulder at 100 lbs, he is bigger than the standard recommends. the difference between males and females in height and weight is significant... males in the 80's and 90's, females in the 70's and 80's.

ridgebacks are large dogs, naturally protective, and love being with their people 24/7. he is extremely food-driven... most hounds are. they are independent thinkers, *can be* difficult to train, and dont have a lot of desire to please their owner. logan would walk all over this joint if he didnt have a firm, consistent momma running the show. they do countersurf, and steal food, but as with anything, *can be taught not to.* they have ridiculously high prey drive, anything that moves away from them, they chase.

however, socialization is key. if you dont socialize LOTS, you could have a serious problem on your hands. ridgebacks get along with most dogs and other animals if raised and socialized with them. you must be prepared with 'aloofness' both toward strange people and strange dogs. as in, the dog acts as though he doesnt want much to do with this person and walks away from them.

they dont bark much, but are very vocal in the whining, grumbly noises department. also remember that there is a continuum.... there are friendly outgoing and very aloof ridgebacks, ridgebacks with obedience titles and ridgebacks that hate OB, ridgebacks that are confident and ridgebacks that are insecure. each individual dog is different.

overall, they are nice, laid-back, sleepy dogs in-house, and athletic, rough-n-tumble, amazing powerhouse runners outdoors. their blood is mostly hottentot, mastiff, pointer, greyhound, stagghound, and possibly dane and bloodhound.

things i have struggled with and had to work through with logan: being a little unsure in new situations even with proper socialization, being not quite confident when meeting new people and dogs, having very bad separation anxiety (i work full-time), hating obedience, ibs.

logan is very protective. you must also be prepared for a breed that is very discriminating as to who he likes, who he will listen to, and who he will not tolerate.

i say look at rrcus, talk to breeders, and meet dogs. i would expect to pay to pay at least 800-1k for a pet quality pup... and 1-2k for show quality.

Old 03-26-2006, 10:25 PM
Harley & Abby

I have met a few ridgebacks and I just have to say that they seem like really lovely dogs. There's an old female one that I come across at the dog park regularly and she is so laid back and greets everyone. If I had the space I'd love to own one in the future.
Old 03-27-2006, 05:51 PM
Top Dog

Here in Texas they are a lot cheaper because they are a little more popular. Both mine are show quality $650 for Puma and $450 for Scout. They can get really expensive though. I have seen them go for $3000. Puma gets seperation anxiety if I go on vacation. She goes with us now. Havent had any problem being unsure. Puma is a little hard headed but Scout was a breeze. My Lab was more aggressive and more work. I am also a long distance runner and take the dogs with me. They get lots of exercise which is key.
Old 03-27-2006, 09:01 PM
BlackDog

I'm a tibetan mastiff fan myself but I don't own one. Love the long hair.