Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Dog Breeds

Old 03-24-2006, 05:17 PM
Top Dog

Yep. It grows in the opposite direction. It also has a crown at the top. We do some Lure Coursing. You dont have to teach them this. It is instictal. They go out and chase this fake rabbit all over the field. They love it. You can go on AKC and find one near you. They do fun runs were you can just sign up your dog to try it. Its fun to watch. What state are you in?
Old 03-24-2006, 05:21 PM
*Finding My Inner Fila*

Rowdy, do you have any pictures? do you have other dogs also? Or just RR's?
Old 03-24-2006, 05:24 PM
Top Dog

I have a 1 and a half old female ridgeback, a 9 month old female ridgeback, and a 6 year old male lab. I have pictures only in print. My digital camera bit the dust.
Old 03-24-2006, 05:27 PM
Top Dog

I paid $650 for the older ridgeback $450 for the younger. They are both show quality dogs. Perfect ridge with no white on them. You can get them cheaper for pet quality but I really wanted nice ridges. The difference is about $100.
Old 03-24-2006, 05:28 PM
*Finding My Inner Fila*

How do the RR's interact with your lab?

What's the best thing that you like about them? Is there anything that you don't like about them?
Old 03-24-2006, 05:30 PM
Dobiegurl

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowdy ridgeback
The females are more dominant than the males. I have a male lab as well. He is kind of possesive. We never had really any problems. I recommend a female. Females weight about 73lbs. They are not mean dogs. They are just fearless. The ridge is really neat if you have not ever seen one up close. Lots of people will constantly come up to you and want to look at it.
Thats how I was the first time I saw a RR. I was so amazed and the owner was explaining how thats how the people in africa could tell the difference between their dogs and wild dogs by the ridge on their back, or something like that.
Old 03-24-2006, 05:33 PM
Dobiegurl

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowdy ridgeback
I paid $650 for the older ridgeback $450 for the younger. They are both show quality dogs. Perfect ridge with no white on them. You can get them cheaper for pet quality but I really wanted nice ridges. The difference is about $100.
Did you get them from the breeder you posted? $450 is in my price range because since I am only 16 I don't have a lot of spending money but I can come up with that in a couple of months, maybe by summer.
Old 03-24-2006, 05:35 PM
Top Dog

They get along great. The best thing I like about them is that they are very clever in a weird way. Puma, my older female, will go to the back door when we are eating, for me to let her out. When I get there she runs and gets the plate off my food. This breed is master manipulaters. They do stuff like this to manipulate whole prides of lion. The thing I hate is, that they can be hard to train. They are not food driven dogs like my lab. Dont let that discourage you though. Its not like potty training or stuff like that. It is counter surfing. If you are the primary care giver of the dog, they will attach to you and not listen to your husband.
Old 03-24-2006, 05:36 PM
*Finding My Inner Fila*

I read that they're not easily trainable and often ignore their owners, is that true?
Old 03-24-2006, 05:39 PM
Top Dog

Yes, they usually listen to that one person. But not anybody else.