Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Dog Breeds

Old 03-24-2006, 03:53 PM
*Finding My Inner Fila*

Question Anyone have a Rhodesian Ridgeback?

My husband and I plan to get another dog, sometime in the future, and we've been researching. We definitely like larger dogs (no toy breeds, we'd step on them, and more large than medium sized, etc.).

Some dogs that we have thought of are; mastiff, black mouth cur, rhodesian ridgeback, among others.

I'm looking for people who have had personal experience with these dogs. I've done research on them, but I would REALLY like to hear from anyone that has a RR.

Thanks
Old 03-24-2006, 05:36 PM
Int CH - $uperBitch

i personally dont have any information on these breeds although their all pretty big,
Theirs definetly sum1 on here with a black mouth cur and theirs lots of people with different types of mastiffs so you shud get lots of info!!!!! l

good luck!

Old 03-24-2006, 05:48 PM
Island dweller

Gustav has a RR cross.
Gempress has a blackmouth cur
Renee, Filarotten and buckshot have... filas
Who else has mastiffs? I've gone blank.

But that's a start
Old 03-24-2006, 05:54 PM
Top Dog

Yes, I have two female Rhodesian Ridgebacks. They are wonderful dogs. Once you own one, you will never go back to another breed. This is not the kind of dog you want to just put in your backyard though. They are very smart. Both mine know how to open doors. They are not barkers. They are great guard dogs but are not fecious. They have a coat that you dont have to maintain. They really bond with one person. Becareful of some breeders though. Dermoid is a Ridgeback disease. I didnt buy one for this person but I know that they put out some good dogs. www.lionaroundhounds.com she will not overcharge. Her prices are good.
Old 03-24-2006, 05:58 PM
Int CH - $uperBitch

Theres someone whos a huge big fan of Tibetan mastiffs who has the 2 Cane corsos now.

Old 03-24-2006, 06:01 PM
Dobiegurl

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowdy ridgeback
Yes, I have two female Rhodesian Ridgebacks. They are wonderful dogs. Once you own one, you will never go back to another breed. This is not the kind of dog you want to just put in your backyard though. They are very smart. Both mine know how to open doors. They are not barkers. They are great guard dogs but are not fecious. They have a coat that you dont have to maintain. They really bond with one person. Becareful of some breeders though. Dermoid is a Ridgeback disease. I didnt buy one for this person but I know that they put out some good dogs. www.lionaroundhounds.com she will not overcharge. Her prices are good.
I am also interested in this breed. How do they do with other dogs? Are they dog agressive? How big do they get? Should I get a female since I have a male dog right now? Just wondering, because I am looking for a new breed to add to my house. I've grown up with Dobies, Rotts, Pitts, and mastiff breeds, I want a new breed to experience and I have always loved the RR.
Old 03-24-2006, 06:03 PM
Top Dog

Im sorry it is www.lionaroundridgebacks.com. Wrong person.
Old 03-24-2006, 06:03 PM
but please call me Aus.

Quote:
Theres someone whos a huge big fan of Tibetan mastiffs who has the 2 Cane corsos now.
I thought they had Dogo's... Maybe I'm thinking of someone else?
Old 03-24-2006, 06:07 PM
Top Dog

The females are more dominant than the males. I have a male lab as well. He is kind of possesive. We never had really any problems. I recommend a female. Females weight about 73lbs. They are not mean dogs. They are just fearless. The ridge is really neat if you have not ever seen one up close. Lots of people will constantly come up to you and want to look at it.
Old 03-24-2006, 06:11 PM
but please call me Aus.

Quote:
The females are more dominant than the males. I have a male lab as well. He is kind of possesive. We never had really any problems. I recommend a female. Females weight about 73lbs. They are not mean dogs. They are just fearless. The ridge is really neat if you have not ever seen one up close. Lots of people will constantly come up to you and want to look at it.
I would be one of those people coming up to look at it!! I havn't met one in person, they are really interesting dogs! One reason I want to meet one is to check out the fur that grows in the opposite direction up their spine, I think that's really neat!