Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Forum News > The Fire Hydrant

Old 12-30-2012, 05:41 PM
Top Dog

Default Finding a guy when you don't really go 'out'

So, a spin-off of the other thread.

How can you find a guy when you never really go 'out'? I never go barhopping, I typically just go out with close girl friends for dinner/movies/etc, etc. I'm at a community college, where my chances of finding someone nice enough is rare, LOL. I don't see many from high school anymore. But I'd feel kind of dumb signing up for one of those online sites, too... lol. I'm not really religious, so I'd feel weird finding a church group, but it would be nice to find more things to be involved in, other than dog-related activities.

I don't know, anyone else ever any similar situations? How did you find your SO? And don't get me wrong, I'm not necessarily in the market right now. I'm somewhat content with being single for now (I'm 22 and still living at home). I am aiming to be out in about a year and a half after getting my medical assistant degree. But I really would love to find a good guy to do things with, companionship, and all that fun stuff...

I guess just advice! That it's not totally hopeless!

Brit & Jackson

Old 12-30-2012, 05:43 PM
Resident fainting goat

I met my ex at a martial arts class.. perhaps try taking a class in something you are interested in?

meetup.com is awesome! meet up with people who share your interests, from board games to wine tastings to all kinds of things! It's not a dating site but it will get you out with people who are interested in the same thing as you.. and many of the people on that site are early 20's

and find a bar that you like! lol they do exist! I hate clubbing (loud music, close spaces, ick) but I've found some really awesome bars in Boston with game nights and great drinks and awesome people!
Old 12-30-2012, 05:47 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fran101 View Post
I met my ex at a martial arts class.. perhaps try taking a class in something you are interested in?

meetup.com is awesome! meet up with people who share your interests, from board games to wine tastings to all kinds of things! It's not a dating site but it will get you out with people who are interested in the same thing as you.. and many of the people on that site are early 20's

and find a bar that you like! lol they do exist! I hate clubbing (loud music, close spaces, ick) but I've found some really awesome bars in Boston with game nights and great drinks and awesome people!
Thanks, I was gonna go look for some classes, and I always forget about meetup.com... This is going to be one of my new years resolutions ... just get out and DO more things!

There are a few bars local that I don't mind, but I will never really go by myself, LOL. I just can't see myself doing that. And it's so hard to get me and my close friends together on the same nights... everyone has such different schedules, jobs, family, boyfriends etc...

Brit & Jackson

Old 12-30-2012, 05:47 PM
Top Dog

I met my "partner" (we're not exactly dating per say, but we might as well be lol) as a "friend of a friend" sort of deal. I don't really go out either, and I was fine and dandy with being alone the rest of my life. It just kind of happened. But I was never into actually going out and looking for someone; I figured if it did happen, it would be a big coincidence

Sorry I'm no help. Like you, I'm not really into going to bars and clubs and those sort of things. Maybe something will just come together
Old 12-30-2012, 05:50 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Picklepaige View Post
I met my "partner" (we're not exactly dating per say, but we might as well be lol) as a "friend of a friend" sort of deal. I don't really go out either, and I was fine and dandy with being alone the rest of my life. It just kind of happened. But I was never into actually going out and looking for someone; I figured if it did happen, it would be a big coincidence

Sorry I'm no help. Like you, I'm not really into going to bars and clubs and those sort of things. Maybe something will just come together
That's what I'm hoping! Like I said, I'm not all like 'omg I need to find someone NOW and want to make babies...' LOL. I am in NO hurry at all to settle, but would just like companionship like I said. But am okay and content with my life the way it is, for now, too. But I know eventually I will be looking for more.

Brit & Jackson

Old 12-30-2012, 05:54 PM
orange iguanas.

Hahaha I was just wondering this like.... last night.

I have a small group of friends and we've known each other for a long time, so it's not like I'm going to meet anyone new from them. I'm out of school, I don't "go out".... so where the heck do I meet people?? Not even just guys.... just anybody new!

I keep telling myself I should take a class of some sort and see what happens. I'm just so painfully shy and my anxiety sky rockets just thinking about trying something new like that, all on my own. But maybe I will push myself to do that, now that I have a job with a consistent schedule so that I CAN sign up for something.

So yeah. You and I. Same boat.

Juno 2009 :: Happy 2000 :: Lucy 2006 :: Cajun 2013
Old 12-30-2012, 05:55 PM
I'd rather be at Disney

well, Brian and I met on yahoo chat LOL. Not a dating site or anything. We just came across each other, chatted and... viola.

“Meaninglessness does not come from being weary of pain. Meaninglessness comes from being weary of pleasure.”

G.K. Chesterton
“Family fun is as necessary to modern living as a kitchen refrigerator.” – Walt Disney

Old 12-30-2012, 05:57 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southpaw View Post
Hahaha I was just wondering this like.... last night.

I have a small group of friends and we've known each other for a long time, so it's not like I'm going to meet anyone new from them. I'm out of school, I don't "go out".... so where the heck do I meet people?? Not even just guys.... just anybody new!

I keep telling myself I should take a class of some sort and see what happens. I'm just so painfully shy and my anxiety sky rockets just thinking about trying something new like that, all on my own. But maybe I will push myself to do that, now that I have a job with a consistent schedule so that I CAN sign up for something.

So yeah. You and I. Same boat.
YAY I'm so glad I'm not alone! lol. You have no idea. Sounds like we're in exactly the same boat.

I agree, not just guys, but people in general.

Dogs have been awesome for new friends, for sure. I have quite a few new friends I've met thru chaz, other forums, dog park, etc. So that's nice. But it's typically all females! lol.

Brit & Jackson

Old 12-30-2012, 06:06 PM
Clicker Cult Coordinator

Meetup.com is dry around here unless I want to go to a Ron Paul rally LOL.

I dunno. I keep figuring one of my friends has GOT to know somebody... but it's not panning out. I have never been hit on at the gym, which is a miracle because I can't go anywhere and not get some skeezy guy hitting me on. I'd LIKE to meet somebody at the gym because I'd love to meet somebody who's into being a gym rat as much as I am haha. But when we are at the gym we're there to work, not flirt, so... it's good and bad at the same time.

I'm pretty sure it's never going to happen at this point. Not to sound like a downer, I'm almost 29 so you have plenty of time to get all frustrated like I am LMAO.

I am signed up on a few dating sites but... meh. =/ Skeezy guys about and the only guy I ever considered approaching on my own had something in his profile about "I keep thinking about moving to California!!" and I'm not moving so I never bothered. I know people who got married off dating sites but I think you have to slog through a lot of poo to find anything good.

Auggie - The Flash RN NAJ MXP MJP CGC
Payton - Sharp Dressed Man NA NAJ CGC
Pepper - Chocolate Swizz-l-icious
& the pest, Georgie - Peach Pudding N Pie NA OAJ
The Sheltiechick Blog
Old 12-30-2012, 06:08 PM
Top Dog

I met my husband playing online game. I know people who've met someone with dating sites.