Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Grooming Forum

Old 01-24-2005, 05:14 PM
Taco Dog

Default Any Grooming Questions?

Hey Everyone! I am a groomer along with my fiance, and I am here to answer any questions about grooming any of you may have! Thanks all, can't wait to talk to you! Ashleigh

"A righteous man has regard for the life of his beast." Proverbs 12:10

http://www.petfinder.com
Old 01-24-2005, 05:57 PM
Felurian

Hi, Ashleigh! Now, lol, where were you a couple of months ago when we needed you! Glad you're here now, anyway. You might want to go back through some of the older threads and see if you can clear up some of our grooming questions from the past . . .

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

There are few things more nauseating than pure obedience. ~ Kvothe

***8206;"silence is the language of god, all else is poor translation."
Rumi
Be a god. Know when to shut up.

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 01-24-2005, 08:25 PM
Top Dog

I am sure your offer will be a great help.

I, for one, will definitely take you up on it if I ever get the nerve to attempt to groom my 2 standard poodles myself!
Old 01-27-2005, 12:43 AM
Taco Dog

Just wanted to bump this up so people can find it easier!

Old 01-27-2005, 07:34 AM
Lhasa Lover

I have a 5 1/2 month old Lhasa and need to know what to do with his hair that is full of static When you pet him his hair stands up straight. Is there a special shampoo I should use? I've been using puppy shampoo. Thanks in advance...
Christine
Old 01-27-2005, 01:31 PM
Taco Dog

Hey Christine
Just wash as you normally do. Condition heavily, then rinse. Once she is dry, get a fabric softener and rub it with the lay of the hair. If this doesn't work, just let me know. I have a few other tricks up my sleeve!

Old 01-27-2005, 01:45 PM
Disappointed :(

I'm happy with general coat grooming of my GSD-X, but the other day had a vet's assistant clip her claws down as they needed doing. On sight of the clippers she went absolutely beserk (woofing/growling and backing away) - we got it done but it was a hard job! Maybe she's seen them before and had the job badly done. This isn't a job I'd like to do myself, but how would you deal with the dog in these circumstances? The vet's assistance got spooked and ended up muzzling ( !! - for the first time ever) my dog.... (I wish she'd left it) how does a pro deal with a situation like that? (It was really weird, the assistant said she'd been bitten by another dog just the week before.)
She's never bitten anyone, she just got scared. I've never seen her like that before, and the vet that knows her was pretty surprised too.
Maybe you've got a tip or two you can share?
Old 01-27-2005, 01:52 PM
Taco Dog

Hiya Bonster
Try this: Your dog will be most comfortable having you do anything for her. Put her up on a table, washing machine, anything tall so that you don't have to bend. With Bonnie facing your right, put your left arm under her so that you are "cradling" her in a sense. With your left hand, pick up one paw, clip those claws with the clipper in your right hand. Proceed to the next one. Now, with Bonnie facing your left, cradle with left arm again. Pick up a paw with left hand, and clip with right. If you simply can't get her to do it, she may have to be sedated before getting them clipped.
As I'm sure you probably know, letting the claws grow too much will cause them to curl around and grow into the paw pads. So, she must get them clipped occassionally. I hope this all helps, I know how a scared dog can be when getting groomed.

Old 01-27-2005, 01:58 PM
Disappointed :(

Thanks for that - I'm going to be brave and learn to do it myself - I was pretty much decided anyway, and appreciate your comments.
We only got though that escapade I'm sure because I was there - and we do have good trust, so that's the way forward.
I think a lot of it was to do with the particular girl who was doing it -- she only told me afterwards that she'd got bitten last week, and she didn't seem very confident!
Thanks for the advice!
Old 01-28-2005, 06:27 AM
Lhasa Lover

Thank you Ashleigh, I will try that. I didnt mention my puppy is Ashley too
Christine