Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Breeding Ground

Old 03-21-2006, 10:21 PM
Show Dog

I live near Cleveland, NC. I can't believe these people are a couple towns over. It makes me sooooo mad. I'm sure they are contributing plenty to the overpopulation of our shelters around here.
Old 03-21-2006, 10:22 PM
Top Dog

marketing gimmick...they want to sell puppies.

However, all the labs my family have owned, though they've been great hunting dogs, had the intellegence of sticks (as opposed to the rest of the dogs we've owned which were very smart but otherwise useless...lol).
Old 03-21-2006, 10:25 PM
Den Mother

The part that really got me was the "...if you like what you see on our site..." Well call me a prude, but what kind of people would actually LIKE what they see on that site? I'll tell you who:
Ignorant + Uninformed = SUCKER

Old 03-21-2006, 10:37 PM
Who woulda thought <3

Quote:
Originally Posted by MayasMom
I live near Cleveland, NC. I can't believe these people are a couple towns over. It makes me sooooo mad. I'm sure they are contributing plenty to the overpopulation of our shelters around here.
Yeah I noticed that they ship from Charlotte/Douglas Airport which is about 30 minutes from me.
Old 03-21-2006, 10:56 PM
Den Mother

(They were talking about genetic markers for hip displaysia - which have never been found as to date, and probably will be a very long time in the coming) Also, Vetgen? One of their affiliates no doubt, who won't blow the whistle on them. Or even worse, will straight up lie for them.

Quote:
We will definitely have our breeding dogs DNA profiled once such markers become available through Vetgen. Once this becomes available to us, we can then say with confidence that our breeding dogs who were given clearance would NOT cause any of their offspring to have a genetic health issue.
I found this particular paragraph very amusing. They went on and on in great detail about how even a dog which OFA has deemed "free and clear" can get hip displaysia, and that there is never a guarantee that a dog will not develop it.
First of all, OFA does not deem any dog "free and clear" - that is a misleading statement. All OFA does is measure the space of luxation in the hip joint and grades it on a number scale. That's it. They don't give guarantees.

They can tell you which dogs have a higher disposition for the disease, and which ones don't. But then it's up to responsible breeders to only breed from their "excellent" or "good" rated animals so they can be reasonably sure their pups will have good hips.

Any breeder who guarantees perfect hips is an idiot. It would be like guaranteeing a new mother her baby would never in his life break a bone. Of course it could happen, but with a little care, the odds can be lessened.

Old 03-21-2006, 11:37 PM
Rusty but Trusty

Quote:
Originally Posted by makenzie71
marketing gimmick...they want to sell puppies.

However, all the labs my family have owned, though they've been great hunting dogs, had the intellegence of sticks (as opposed to the rest of the dogs we've owned which were very smart but otherwise useless...lol).
I just meant if they are intending on selling puppies they should not bash other breeds. I have a lab and I think she is a GENIUS! She was the easiest dog I have trained and learned sit, down, roll over, and stay (well sort of we're still working on it) in about a month. I just don't see reputable breeders making bad remarks about breeds other than the ones they are breeding (well in these people's cash breeds they are trying to ruin).

Old 03-22-2006, 04:09 AM
Puppy Dog

They do actually have a spay and neuter clause. It's down the bottom of their purchase agreement. Not saying this justifies what they do or anything, but, yeah they do have one.
Old 03-22-2006, 09:47 AM
Clicker Extremist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Selkhet
(They were talking about genetic markers for hip displaysia - which have never been found as to date, and probably will be a very long time in the coming) Also, Vetgen? One of their affiliates no doubt, who won't blow the whistle on them. Or even worse, will straight up lie for them.

Actually, VetGen is a very good company that provides an invaluable resource for breeders. I used them for DNA profiling and storage and vWD testing.

http://www.vetgen.com/

I am shocked that this obvious puppymill knows about them..... do they actually use them? It's not cheap. The USDA does not require DNA profiling and storage. AKC and UKC do for frequently used sires, but they have their own kit. But these people aren't registering through AKC or UKC.

Okay, so went back and looked at their site. They have a poor little bedraggled Bedlington and VetGen does testing for CI which they brag about with very little understanding. (gag)

*edited to add, if anyone who lives close to them wants to try and get them shut down, try going through USDA. I didn't see where they are licensed and mass producing kennels are required to be USDA licensed.

Last edited by motherofmany; 03-22-2006 at 10:09 AM.
Old 03-22-2006, 10:05 AM
Clicker Extremist

I guaranteed hips. Well, to be perfectly accurate, my contract stated that should the dog develop dysplasia, the purchase price would be refunded and corrective surgery at a reduced price would be made available through my vet. (Puppy buyers were also educated about proper joint care) I did this with confidence because for 12 generations, sires and dams were OFA Good or Excellent and for 2 generations of my production, every dog produced was OFA Excellent or Good with one exception, one puppy that tested Fair- you see, I required all my puppy purchasers to bring the dogs back for OFA (which I paid for) because I wanted to know what was happening across litters, not just with my show and breeding prospects.

Somehow I doubt the mill this discussion is about would ever do anything like this, but it is common among reputable breeders to guarantee hips and to do testing beyond breeding stock is becoming more common.

BTW, my last litter is now 6 years old, and still, no hip problems
Old 03-22-2006, 12:29 PM
Big Dog

I also noticed on all of their "Go doodle" plans that they only garentee or the only "health warranty" they are providing is "Life Threatening Genetic Health Warranty"?!
So they are not taking any responsibility for the many genetic defects that can cause poor quality of life but may not necessarily cause death?! And on the "platinum" plan it only covers for 4 years and you are paying $4000. On that same plan they offer a one time, accidental death replacemert/coverage during the same 4 years of genetic coverage? I wonder what they concider "accidental", and will what they require to prove it "accidental"? They definatly don't give a sh*t who gets their dogs.
Did you also see how in the "Basic" plan, everything was A La Carte(sp?) $875 for the dog, if you want it vet checked add $100, $35 for fecal testing ,ect.....
What's the point of geting the dog Vet checked by them if you don't even get the Vet records until you get the dog. Then if it showed that their was something wrong with the dog they wouldn't do anything unless it's a "Life Treatening" genetic defect. But, of course that is ,only if you paid more $$$ for the more exspensive plans.
I feel sorry for all those poor dogs and puppies, and for the ignorant people who buy from them!! It's their fault I guess for not researching breeders to stay away from. I keep picturing these people laughing and shopping, and then I picture over crowded ,dirty kennels filled with sick little puppies and dogs. Hopfully that isn't true, but no matter what, this place makes me sick!