Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Breeding Ground

Old 03-21-2006, 01:06 AM
Shiba Inu Slave

The horrible thing about these types is that it's usually pointless to write them. They've heard this so many times, and they're so set in their own ways, that it never occurs to them that what they are doing is really hurting the animals they claim to adore so much.

I've gotten to the point where I just don't bother to say anything anymore- I work on prospective buyers instead.

And I agree, it just shows you how many people are obviously ticked with their policies, that they specifically write a disclaimer telling you not to criticize them! I think as a prospective buyer, I would take one look at that and at *least* have some questions as to why someone would need to write something so vehement...

btw- completely off topic Rubylove, but I didn't realize you were in Australia! Actually, my boyfriend's originally from around Perth (he now lives in Broome, and that's where I met him). Definitely miss the country, and hope to go back soon...maybe for vet school??

Old 03-21-2006, 01:13 AM
Training the Trainer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tempura tantrum
The horrible thing about these types is that it's usually pointless to write them. They've heard this so many times, and they're so set in their own ways, that it never occurs to them that what they are doing is really hurting the animals they claim to adore so much.

I've gotten to the point where I just don't bother to say anything anymore- I work on prospective buyers instead.
I'm starting to think that. I'm hoping to move into education - especially for children - with the RSPCA and also with my own business. It's less soul destroying!

Quote:
And I agree, it just shows you how many people are obviously ticked with their policies, that they specifically write a disclaimer telling you not to criticize them! I think as a prospective buyer, I would take one look at that and at *least* have some questions as to why someone would need to write something so vehement...
And every second word on their very wordy site is something to do with money, upfront payments, no refund etc etc. It's easy to see where their priorities lie.

Quote:
btw- completely off topic Rubylove, but I didn't realize you were in Australia! Actually, my boyfriend's originally from around Perth (he now lives in Broome, and that's where I met him). Definitely miss the country, and hope to go back soon...maybe for vet school??
Ooh I'd love to go to Broome. It's so pricey though - bizarre, it costs less to fly to Sydney than it does to Broome. And there's no way I'm driving - I can't sit still for more than two hours!!

We give dogs time we can spare, space we can spare, and love we can spare. In return they give us their all. It is the best deal man has ever made
Old 03-21-2006, 06:03 PM
Shiba Inu Slave

Yeah- I feel as if I've gotten *far* more positive responses by talking to people who are interested in getting a dog (but don't know where to get one), than by trying to reason with unscrupulous breeders. I've persuaded more than one eager couple to leave a pet store after quietly taking them aside and advisiong them against an unstudied purchase.

After getting my head bitten off by a few of the puppymill types, I gave up on them- as long as they're making a profit they don't care. Another thing I've noticed- many of these breeders view their dogs more like livestock than they do pets or family members. They see them as a means to an end rather than an end in and of themselves. People with this type of viewpoint are almost impossible to convince- they see us as rather kooky people with too much time on our hands, and get the idea that we view dogs as little people in fur coats, or substitutes for children.

And (LOL- off topic AGAIN! ) that IS bizarre that a flight to Broome is more expensive than Sydney. I noticed it myself, and just couldn't figure it out. I stayed in Broome for 6 weeks while studying abroad and absolutely fell in love- I think about it daily, and have convinced myself that I must become fabulously wealthy so I can own a summer home there. Cable beach was incredible- my hometown newspaper (the Seattle Times in Washington State, USA) rated it as the most beautiful beach in the world! I think I would have to agree- completely magical!

Old 03-21-2006, 06:47 PM
I'd rather be at Disney

I sent them an email as a "potential buyer" I asked them a bunch of questions and told them I was looking at a few different breeders but hadn't decided on one yet. I asked all kinds of questions I knew they would not be able to answer.

here is my email to them

I am interested in goldendoodles and have been for some time but I do
have some questions your site doesn't answer. When did they have their
hip and eye certification done? (their OFA and such) and what did they
score? I of course will need the papers to prove this before any kind
of transaction is made. Since you breed so many puppies how do you do
the socialization? What kinds of things do you do? How many hours a
day does each pup get?
What are the requirements for someone to purchase a puppy? Do you do
house visits? What does the contract for these pups entail? Is there a
spay and/or neuter clause? Can I use them for show dogs? Are they
registered?

While I am looking at other breeders I will base my decision on the
answers I receive to these questions. Thank you

here is theirs to me:

While we thank you for your Goldendoodle inquiry, your answers can be located on our website.

I appreciate the fact you have so many questions, but I am sorry...I don't do "sales pitches" to obtain business from those seeking a puppy.

My website is very extensive and there are many, many emails, photos, letters and cards from our past customers who can attest to how wonderfully loving, intelligent our GOldendoodles are. How many hours do I put into my dogs and puppies? More than you can possibly imagine. This email is being written after midnight and I just finished working with my puppies and I have been with them since 7am. I personally work longer hours as a breeder than I ever did while in the military! Let's put it that way.

If you actually take time to go through our website, you will see that your questions can be answered and yes....your questions are discussed on our site. If you like what you see on our website, we welcome you to join our doodle world. If not...we wish you the best on your doodle search.

I wrote them back and told them that response told me everything I needed to know about them. They cannot answer simple questions therefore they are a puppy mill. They sell to ignorant unsuspecting people and when they get someone who knows a little more than the average Joe they blow it off.

“Meaninglessness does not come from being weary of pain. Meaninglessness comes from being weary of pleasure.”

G.K. Chesterton
“Family fun is as necessary to modern living as a kitchen refrigerator.” – Walt Disney

Old 03-21-2006, 09:20 PM
Training the Trainer

Have you got an abusive answer back yet??? lol...

We give dogs time we can spare, space we can spare, and love we can spare. In return they give us their all. It is the best deal man has ever made
Old 03-21-2006, 09:34 PM
BusterLove

basset hounds (apparently) ready for kids to play with???
they arnt toys, they are animals.

Old 03-21-2006, 09:37 PM
BusterLove

good job sparks, that was a good idea and really does show how they ddeal with people that wont buy

Old 03-21-2006, 09:41 PM
BusterLove

AND OMG. you look at the "doodles available" page and they talk about purposley crossing a poodle with a retreiever! and they picked the sire for his logng legs, not because he passed all tests etc. i cant believe that, then they held they female down?!?!?!!!! ARGH i hate that! then call it natural? they had to force it to happeN!!! I AM SO MAD RIGHT NOW!!

Old 03-21-2006, 10:00 PM
Top Dog

Actually if you guys would like to pursue the matter:

Lakeridge Kennel
165 four lakes dr.
cleveland (North Carolina) 27013 united states
704 - 278-3647

Report them to the Human Society. I find it hard to believe that so many puppies and dogs can be kept in good conditions...if they are kept in good conditions and all the dogs are actually healthy, then there's nothing we can really grieve about asside the fact that they're selling puppies we don't like.

By the way, the Iredell County Humane Society's contact is:

ICHS
P.O. Box 1617
Statesville, NC 28687

Physical address is:

2643 Fines Creek Dr
Statesville, NC 28625

Number
(704) 871-2594

Email
[email protected]

http://www.iredellhumane.org/
Old 03-21-2006, 11:17 PM
Rusty but Trusty

that just made me mad. They have weimeriner (sp?) golden retriever cross puppies that look like black labs but have more brains and common sense. That is not a really good thing to say I have no idea why they think labs have no brains or common sense.