Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Breeding Ground

Old 03-20-2006, 12:40 PM
Island dweller

Hey I'm not saying that nobody should breed. I'm all for responsible breeding but I definitely think that the amount of a breed in the shelters should be looked into. And all breeders, in a way, contribute to the population in shelters because everytime someone adopts a dog from ANY breeder a dog is not being adopted from the shelter.

In an ideal world there would be no bybers and no dogs in the shelter but this is not an ideal world and while we do need responsible breeders to keep quality in the breeds that we love we still need to consider all the animals in shelters.
Old 03-20-2006, 12:59 PM
Clicker Extremist

And all breeders, in a way, contribute to the population in shelters because everytime someone adopts a dog from ANY breeder a dog is not being adopted from the shelter--

Responsible breeders do not contribute in any way to the population in shelters. The dogs in shelters are there due to irresponsible owners, puppymills and BYBers.

Again, buyer education is the only solution to the problem of unwanted dogs.

BTW, almost 100% of responsible breeders support breed rescue, financially supporting and providing homes for thousands of dogs produced by other people, directing pet owners to rescue etc. Their dedication to their breed is proved time and again by that fact alone.

Responsible breeders and parents... two groups of people that take it on the chin whenever someone with an axe to grind decides to take others to task versus actually adressing the real sources of serious problems.
Old 03-20-2006, 01:20 PM
Island dweller

Like I said before any time a dog is adopted from any sort of breeder they aren't adopting from the shelter. I'm all for good breeders I just think you need to consider the animals in shelters before you become a breeder.

I have no interest in breeding because it costs too much money, too much time and the breeds that I adore already have good, responsible breeders. I don't think they need any more.
Old 03-20-2006, 02:10 PM
Shiba Inu Slave

The idea that "everytime someone obtains a dog from a breeder, a shelter dog is not adopted," simply isn't true.

In my case, had I not gotten a dog from a responsible breeder, I wouldn't have gotten a dog at all.

Why?

For one- I wanted a show dog. Any dog leaving a shelter is spayed or neutered (as they should be), and let's face it- I have yet to see a show quality Shiba Inu in the 6 years that I have been volunteering at the Humane Society, find it's way to a shelter. (In all that time I've seen *one* Shiba mix.

Secondly, I had *very* specific qualifications for an animal to live in my house. Specific enough that after 2 years of research I found two relatively rare breeds that fit the bill. My dog needed to be extraordinarily quiet, relatively small, easy to groom, and capable of getting along with both children and skittish cats. I needed a dog that wasn't going to be velcroed to my hip for every minute that I was home- this was a dog that needed to be independent, and comfortable with being at home alone for longer periods of time than say a Golden or a GSD. Finally- despite it's small size, I wanted this dog to be athletic as all get-out. I'm a long-distance runner, and I wanted a dog that would *at least* be able to do an easy 5 mile run with me.

To be fair to both myself, and more importantly *the dog,* i KNEW that I needed to go to a breeder. This dog had to be as predictable as they come- and while every dog is an individual, I wanted to be able to look at (and interact with) the parents, trace the bloodlines, and meet the person who would be raising my future family member for 8 weeks of it's life.

I simply refused to be the type of person who would return in animal because "it just didn't fit." So I did the smart thing- and bought a dog from the avenue that I knew would give me the highest rate of success.

In the meantime- I volunteer at the Humane Society as much as I can- I hope that one day I *will* be in a position to rescue or adopt a future buddy, but until then- I do what's most fair to both me and the animals.

Old 03-20-2006, 02:38 PM
Island dweller

Sure not true all the time but sometimes it is. It's not like Shibas are taking over the shelters anyway. And yes, some people have particular needs and if you are showing you'll want to go through a responsible breeder but for the average family pet there are lots of options in shelters.
Old 03-20-2006, 04:30 PM
Quigleyfied

Tempura tantrum, sadly people like you aren't the majority. People with very specific ideas about what they want in a dog are rare. If they weren't, millions of dogs wouldn't be euthanized in the US every single year.
- Product Research

I've been frosted!
Old 03-20-2006, 04:35 PM
Are you dead yet?

Saje, how about my breed then? Shelters are overrun with poorly bred Border Collies and BC mixes. Yet, responsible Border Collie breeders are few and far between. The breed seriously needs help, even though it is one of the more common and popular breeds. Should the responsible breeders stop breeding simply because too many irresponsible people are pumping out poor quality dogs?
I agree that the issue of many homeless pets is a serious one, but saying that breeders should not produce quality dogs because there are a ton of poor quality ones out there is not sensible. The BYBs are not going to stop breeding, so these breeds need all the knowledgeable, responsible, ethical breeders they can get to maintain the quality and integrity of the breed.
I would never dream of turning someone away from this breed because it is too common. Most often, it's the hugely popular breeds that need the most help, as they are the ones targeted the most by unscrupulous breeders.

JMO as always.

Edit: Tempura (hi! by the way, lol. Didn't recognize you until I saw Kimi in your avatar) listed the reasons that many (they're not always the minority..) people cannot always rescue. I will absolutely do all I can as a breeder to place homeless Border Collies in good homes, but for quite some time I don't believe I will be able to permanently keep rescue dogs. I do believe it is important for breeders to help shelter dogs, but not everybody can do so by adopting them. Simply donating money is a wonderful thing to do, and it can greatly improve the lives of the dogs while they are in shelters.
Old 03-20-2006, 05:13 PM
Island dweller

Entirely up to you I think new breeders should take into consideration how many of their breed there are out there and how many responsible breeders. It's not like I would knock responsible breeders I think there is a lot to think about not just whether or not your next dog is show quality. And I totally don't agree that responsible breeders breed for themselves. It should be done to improve their breed not to get their next show dog and sell the rest.
Old 03-20-2006, 06:22 PM
Top Dog

It's going to be very hard for me when I lose Chip. I really shouldn't ( or couldn't ) take on a puppy. It will have to be a dog that can be my pal as well as me be his. Rescue ?? Possibly, but what were the issues ?? HS ? Again the same question. The ideal for me would be a retired Golden from the show ring. I'll leave it to my Goldens above to lead me the right way. I do believe in fate. No, it doesn't have to be a Golden . Just a great big lug to see me through !

http://mauzysmusings.blogspot.com/
Old 03-20-2006, 06:26 PM
Dobiegurl

Quote:
Originally Posted by RD
Saje, how about my breed then? Shelters are overrun with poorly bred Border Collies and BC mixes. Yet, responsible Border Collie breeders are few and far between. The breed seriously needs help, even though it is one of the more common and popular breeds. Should the responsible breeders stop breeding simply because too many irresponsible people are pumping out poor quality dogs?
I agree that the issue of many homeless pets is a serious one, but saying that breeders should not produce quality dogs because there are a ton of poor quality ones out there is not sensible. The BYBs are not going to stop breeding, so these breeds need all the knowledgeable, responsible, ethical breeders they can get to maintain the quality and integrity of the breed.
I would never dream of turning someone away from this breed because it is too common. Most often, it's the hugely popular breeds that need the most help, as they are the ones targeted the most by unscrupulous breeders.

JMO as always.

Edit: Tempura (hi! by the way, lol. Didn't recognize you until I saw Kimi in your avatar) listed the reasons that many (they're not always the minority..) people cannot always rescue. I will absolutely do all I can as a breeder to place homeless Border Collies in good homes, but for quite some time I don't believe I will be able to permanently keep rescue dogs. I do believe it is important for breeders to help shelter dogs, but not everybody can do so by adopting them. Simply donating money is a wonderful thing to do, and it can greatly improve the lives of the dogs while they are in shelters.

Yes!!! These popular breeds are in need of help. Puppymillers and BYB's are corrupting the breed. If you take all the golden breeders or lab breeders you would not find too many who are in it for the right reasons.