Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Breeding Ground

Old 03-19-2006, 09:44 PM
Dobiegurl

A breeder breeds for themselves and then puts the unwanted puppies in good homes. I respect anyone who does stop breeding their dog because they are popular but they shouldn't have to because stupid people overbreed them just for money.
Old 03-19-2006, 09:51 PM
Island dweller

Shouldn't have to doesn't really mean much. We shouldn't have to lock our doors at night. We shouldn't have to pay taxes to keep stupid people in jail... But it's just a fact. And I totally disagree that a good breeder breeds for themselves. A good breeder breeds for their breed. If it isn't necessary to breed then maybe they can find other ways to help their breed. There shouldn't be any unwanted puppies because a good breeder will have found homes long before they ever let their bitch get pregnant.
Old 03-19-2006, 09:54 PM
Dobiegurl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saje
Shouldn't have to doesn't really mean much. We shouldn't have to lock our doors at night. We shouldn't have to pay taxes to keep stupid people in jail... But it's just a fact. And I totally disagree that a good breeder breeds for themselves. A good breeder breeds for their breed. If it isn't necessary to breed then maybe they can find other ways to help their breed. There shouldn't be any unwanted puppies because a good breeder will have found homes long before they ever let their bitch get pregnant.

Well, most of the breeders I know have a waiting list and they keep their pick of the litter to expand their kennel.
Old 03-19-2006, 10:00 PM
Island dweller

Yeah but what if your breed is being overbred? I think at some point you just have to ask yourself if there are too many breeders out there - including good ones!
Old 03-19-2006, 10:14 PM
rottiegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedyreRottweilers
So where are the good dogs supposed to come from if all the responsible breeders stop breeding?

4 to 6 years and you are out of all the good stock.
I dont think you read my posts right.

Breeders that have been breeding for quit some time, and are very experienced, can keep breeding, but if you are thinking about breeding a popular breed, then I dont think you should. Too many of them are in pounds and unwanted. Too many breeders.

I agree with saje 100%
Old 03-20-2006, 07:19 AM
RedyreRottweilers

Quote:
I dont think you read my posts right.

Breeders that have been breeding for quit some time, and are very experienced, can keep breeding, but if you are thinking about breeding a popular breed, then I dont think you should. Too many of them are in pounds and unwanted. Too many breeders.

I agree with saje 100%
That is not what you said.

THIS is what you said:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rottiegirl
I personaly dont think its right to breed if there are so many in pounds. If your breed is extremely popular, and there are many in pounds, then I dont think you should breed at all. Even if you are a responsible breeder.
I repeat.

If all the breeders stop breeding, then in 4 to 6 years, you have NO good stock left and nothing to continue from.

Breeding dogs is not a bad thing correctly done, regardless of what the high risk know nothing back yarders and commercial breeders are doing.

There is a NEED and a NECESSITY for breeders who have the best interests and the future of their breed at heart to continue breeding good dogs.

If people want to help with the masses of irresponsibly bred dogs who end up in shelters, then they need to start with education of the people pumping out these dogs.
Old 03-20-2006, 09:48 AM
Clicker Extremist

Never leave dog breeding to the rogues. If responsible breeders, and wannabe responsible breeders do not breed, or even severely limit their breeding programs, where does John Q Public get their puppy? Why, the BYBers and puppymills that take advantage of the "shortage" of purebred pups and breed to the demand.

Meanwhile, the genetic integrity, the long term health, type, soundness etc of these breeds go to h***

Educate the buyers. That's the only responsible answer to the problem of unwanted dogs.
Old 03-20-2006, 11:50 AM
Are you dead yet?

There is a need in every breed for good breeders. Their dogs will continue producing QUALITY while the BYBs are pumping out poorly bred dogs. Like Red has already said, if responsible breeders stop breeding, all of the good stock will be gone. How is that in the breed's best interest?
The handful of quality puppies produced by responsible breeders vs. the thousands produced by BYB/mills... Which is harming the breed more? Why would anybody want to tell the truly responsible breeders that they need to stop breeding, while BYBs run rampant and continue to breed crap.

The finger is being pointed in the wrong direction. Responsible breeders are needed in just about all breeds, especially the popular ones. Buyer education works. Pushing away responsible breeders is just silly.
Old 03-20-2006, 11:59 AM
Shiba Inu Slave

I couldn't agree more with Motherofmany and RD- well put!

I'm continually surprised by the number of times I see responsible breeders being criticized for the pet overpopulation problem...when as RD pointed out, they aren't the ones to blame.

While the idea of "everyone putting a stop to breeding for x number of years until all the homeless pets are adopted," is a sweet one, it's also incredibly unrealistic, and serves no one, least of all the homeless pets. It makes far more sense to focus on *realistic* goals- educating the public about where and how to find their canine companions. Those people breeding for all the wrong reasons (money) will be GONE when the *demand* is gone. And where does this demand come from? The uneducated public!

We need to encourage, nurture and support those people that decide to take up responsible and ethical breeding. It's not cheap, it's never easy, it's a labor of love, and there are *far* too few great breeders out there.
Old 03-20-2006, 12:23 PM
F150 and a .30-06

Most breeders do breed for themselves.

At least the ones I know. They breed a litter to get a top show/working prospect for themselves. They then sell the other pups to others.

A responsible breeder knows were his/her puppies are at all times. If you cant take care of it anymore they take it back so they can make sure it doesnt end up in a shelter.

Responsible breeders do NOT contribute to the over population. They spay/neuter non breeding dogs and have contracts. Its the BYB's and the ignorant people out there that add to it

Sakkara's And Then There's Emma - My heart. My Soul. My Co-Pilot. Feb 26 2005 - Oct 22 2009
Can Ch Liberty's Surfer Girl TT - You will always be with me
Phil Ch Groundsniffin Secret Solo - National Specialty Winners Bitch, Multi Best Opposite In Show