Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Breeding Ground

Old 03-18-2006, 10:08 PM
Active Pup

Default what do you think?

What do y'all think about dog breeding? I was thinking that there are lots of dogs in pounds that need homes to cause my Dad and I were thinking we may start dog breeding. Now I don't know because there are so many dogs and cats that need homes in the pounds.
Old 03-18-2006, 10:12 PM
RedyreRottweilers

It is a long road to becoming a responsible breeder.
Old 03-18-2006, 10:30 PM
Dobiegurl

I don't think breeding the right way is wrong. There are many people out there breeding for the wrong reasons, like for money instead for the love of the breed. Those are the people responsible for the dogs in shelters. When I grow up I plan on breeding but I am researching and gathering infromation about it so I can produce the best puppies. Resposible breeding is not just taking two dogs with papers and breeding them, there is alot more involved. You have to figure out what you are breeding for and go from their.
Old 03-18-2006, 10:49 PM
rottiegirl

I personaly dont think its right to breed if there are so many in pounds. If your breed is extremely popular, and there are many in pounds, then I dont think you should breed at all. Even if you are a responsible breeder.

There are too many GSDs, pits, chihuahuas, etc. in dog pounds.
Old 03-18-2006, 11:05 PM
Who woulda thought <3

Quote:
Originally Posted by rottiegirl
There are too many GSDs, pits, chihuahuas, etc. in dog pounds.
and a whole lot of labs...
Old 03-18-2006, 11:07 PM
F150 and a .30-06

So people should stop showing then rottiegirl? After all if no one bred there would be no more show dogs, and preserving the bloodlines.

Sakkara's And Then There's Emma - My heart. My Soul. My Co-Pilot. Feb 26 2005 - Oct 22 2009
Can Ch Liberty's Surfer Girl TT - You will always be with me
Phil Ch Groundsniffin Secret Solo - National Specialty Winners Bitch, Multi Best Opposite In Show
Old 03-18-2006, 11:50 PM
Top Dog

If you've had a certain breed for many years and have a reason to breed and know what you're doing , then I think it's fine. It took me 15 years to even think of a litter. I had a mentor who suggested it as I had one of his show females and he thought she was a great b*tch and wanted pick of the litter. All his Goldens were in the golden hall of fame... both in showing and obedience.

http://mauzysmusings.blogspot.com/
Old 03-18-2006, 11:51 PM
Dobiegurl

Quote:
Originally Posted by JennSLK
So people should stop showing then rottiegirl? After all if no one bred there would be no more show dogs, and preserving the bloodlines.

Thats exactly how I feel. Some people want to show their dogs but wouldn't be able to because the dogs in the pounds don't have papers.

I blame the number of purebred dogs in the shelter on the people who rush out and buy a dog without knowing the breed just because they are popular. Like when dog movies come out everyone rushes out to get that dog. That happened with St. Bernards, Dalmations and unfortunately will happen to Alaskan Malamutes and Siberin Huskies because of eight below. People who want quality show dogs would not dump their dogs in the pound. These people research the breed and you can tell who just wants the dog just because, and who loves the breed and wants a quality purebred.
Old 03-18-2006, 11:54 PM
Dobiegurl

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbatd
If you've had a certain breed for many years and have a reason to breed and know what you're doing , then I think it's fine. It took me 15 years to even think of a litter. I had a mentor who suggested it as I had one of his show females and he thought she was a great b*tch and wanted pick of the litter. All his Goldens were in the golden hall of fame... both in showing and obedience.

Exactly!!! Breeding is not just putting two dogs together, its more of learning your breed and gaining experience in the breed and then you go from there. It is a long process and should not be taken lightly.
Old 03-18-2006, 11:54 PM
rottiegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by JennSLK
If you have been breeding for quite some time, then its fine. But if you are thinking about becoming a breeder of a popuar breed, then I dont think you should do it. We have enough breeders of certain breeds already.

Pick a rare breed.