Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 01-24-2005, 02:22 PM
Active Pup

Talking Sneaky dog likes sleeping under the comforters!!

Hi all. Iím sure some of you are having through this same issue. My elder son, Frisky (2.5 year old lab), sleeps with my wife and me on our bed. During the winter, he likes to go completely under our comforter. When we go to sleep, I make sure he sleeps outside the comforter, on the bed. But after I fall asleep, he comes up to our heads, pulls the comforter down with his paw and nudges his way under it. My wife sometimes sees him doing this and lets him go under. He doesnít even have this head sticking outÖ heís completely under the sheets.

My question isÖ how bad is this for him? Will he have any breathing problems if he continues doing this? The good news is that we live in Atlanta and its cold only about 3 months in a year and thatís when we have our comforters out. But Iím still worried that heís going to have some respiratory problems. Heís a sneezer, but he sneezes a lot more in the mornings after he wakes up. Should I stop him from going under the comforters?

Thanks!
Old 01-24-2005, 02:37 PM
Felurian

OH, I'm laughing so hard I'm coughing now! I can just picture him doing that! How hysterically funny!

I wouldn't think the comforter would cause him any respiratory problems, and I doubt he'd stay under there if he can't breathe. But it might make you feel better if you got him a small comforter of his own and put it over him when he gets on the bed.

OMG . . . I'm still giggling . . .

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

There are few things more nauseating than pure obedience. ~ Kvothe

***8206;"silence is the language of god, all else is poor translation."
ó Rumi
Be a god. Know when to shut up.

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 01-24-2005, 02:46 PM
pointer/labrador/terrier

Victor is an under the covers kind of guy to. Maybe because he has no coat to speak of, jut a thin top coat. I don't think it hurts them. Most dogs tuck there nose in somewhere when it is cold. I think the cold hurts the sinuses...they have so much of them. Happy to know Vic isn't the only one. He was at a shelter during his 3 -5 month of his life. The first night I brought him home and introduced him to the feather bed he gave me a look that let me that this was beyond devine! WHen he goes to bed at 9 sharp he always wants me to come and when i don't it is so funny to see him try to cover him self up, first he tries to pull it over his shoulder, then he digs it around a bit, groaning and moaning all the time before he flops down in disapointment....that is when I go in and flop "his" cover over him. I don't like to be cold either so I understand. GLad your wife does too!
Old 01-24-2005, 02:46 PM
Top Dog

Hum....i think it will be okay. TOki does the same thing. He loves going under neath my comforter.
Old 01-24-2005, 02:50 PM
Island dweller

I, too, don't see a problem. But it does remind me of sneaky Maverick who came in from playing in the rain last night while I was already in bed. He came and snuffed my face as usual and then went to the foot of the bed. I thought he was going to lay there as usual but no, in one swift move he hopped his wet self up on to the bed and wedged his giant self between me and the wall. It was so funny and out of character for him I let him stay. He only stayed a couple of minutes before he heard bf and Mikey playing. He lept over me and left me with a big newfie wet spot on the bed!

Don't worry about your dog. I don't think he'll have any ill affect for sleeping under the comforter.
Old 01-25-2005, 10:14 AM
Active Pup

Cool, thanks guys. It's good to know that I'm not alone and that my boy isn't a freak I'm sure it's not the best way to sleep, but as long as it doesn't have any harmful effects, I don't mind him having his way. He does with everything else... why not this as well!!
Old 01-25-2005, 11:42 AM
Spoiled Rotten Dog

Beulah is the same way too. Except, she can't just scooch under the covers. She has to put her head under the covers until she is completely under there. She is still standing by the way. Then she proceeds to throw her head around and sling the covers all over the place. Then, of course, she has to spin in cirlces several times before she gets comfortable, and by then, the covers are all twisted up around her, and I don't have any cover....
Old 01-25-2005, 11:42 AM
Spoiled Rotten Dog

We always fight over the covers.
Old 01-25-2005, 11:45 AM
Labrador lover!!!!!

LOL OMG How funny!!lol na lucky is pretty good when it comes to covers!!!lol last night he tried to nick them!but he didnt win I DID!!LOLhehe!!
Anyway that was sooo funny if only we got to see it!!
lol
6 bunnies~fluffy, muffin,bugsy, buttons,twigglets,forsty
2 gerbils~cheese and pickels
2 g.pigs~buzz and dizzy
Old 01-25-2005, 04:52 PM
Dog Spoiler

Carry always goes under my blankets. No problems have come up except that hes a happy fat dog and that im always cold. I always end up huddled on a tiny part of the bed while Carry sleeps and has all the blankets. Carry somehow manages to find the exact location on the bed that leaves me with about a foot of bed to sleep.