Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Breeding Ground

Old 03-20-2006, 09:41 AM
Naturally Natural

actually this is a quasi- repeat breeding.

he already breeding two littermates of the sire and dam in that pedigree, for a second litter.

why breed the exact same match up again?

ARCHX Bowie's Semper Fidelis v DRU, VC CDX ASCA-CDX CDX-H RE RL1X RL2X RL3 ATT WAC TT CGC FFX-OG

Beja's Bombs Away v Bowie, CD ASCA-CD CD-H BN RN NA RL1 WAC ATT YTT PTT CGC

Bowie's Here Comes the Boom!

http://otchrah.blogspot.com/
Old 03-20-2006, 10:42 AM
F150 and a .30-06

Because he didnt want to breed Daci again and he had a breeding agrement with Maggies new owner. She wanted her spayed ASAP so dan reasoned with her about this litter.

Thor and Maggie are a better match than say Lance and Maggie. Same bloodlines different dogs.

Not to mention I LOVE the way Striker and Laya turned out of the Daci/Lance litter

Sakkara's And Then There's Emma - My heart. My Soul. My Co-Pilot. Feb 26 2005 - Oct 22 2009
Can Ch Liberty's Surfer Girl TT - You will always be with me
Phil Ch Groundsniffin Secret Solo - National Specialty Winners Bitch, Multi Best Opposite In Show
Old 03-20-2006, 12:06 PM
RedyreRottweilers

Jenn, what, in your opinion, are good reasons to select a dog to use it for breeding?
Old 03-20-2006, 12:14 PM
F150 and a .30-06

Red why do I allways have to defend EVERYTHING with you? If I like a dog, i's allways, What are his good points and bad points? Well maybe I just like him.

A dog needs to be titled. For show breeding it needs a CH, or for a working it needs a working title, apropriate to the breed.

They need to have passed any and all health tests with flying colors.

Minumal health problems in the line. For exapmple you whouldnt breed a dog that has MAJOR heart problems in the line.

They need to be great examples of the breed, both in temperment and conformation.

Sakkara's And Then There's Emma - My heart. My Soul. My Co-Pilot. Feb 26 2005 - Oct 22 2009
Phil Ch Groundsniffin Secret Solo - National Specialty Winners Bitch, Multi Best Opposite In Show
Old 03-20-2006, 07:15 PM
Big Dog

I'd take Reds advice that she offers and questions into consideration. There is a lot to be gained from her experience. IMO I'd try not to get defensive. I don't feel that she is coming at you for those reasons. I feel that you are a novice and it shows, and that you are wanting to get involved with some serious stuff. Breeding for one is very serious.

By accepting wisdom and learning from people like her, it will help you to learn what to look for in a dog in the future and to critique them.

In selecting a dog for breeding (a very serious venue) then YES I do believe that you should be able to cite all points good and bad about that animal at the drop of a hat, rather then just that you like them.
Old 03-20-2006, 08:08 PM
RedyreRottweilers

Jenn, learning the good, mediocre points on a dog, and what is undesireable, or needs improvement, is how you learn a breed. It's how you learn correct structure and type.

These are the things you should be asking and discussing with your mentor.

I'm not trying to be on your case, only trying to get you to reach out and grow, and think.
Old 03-20-2006, 10:21 PM
F150 and a .30-06

Red, I know you are trying to teach me stuff, but the way it comes across to me is almost mean. I knwo you dont meen it that way. I know i have ALOT to learn and I have eyars to learn it.

Im just dealing with some heavy stuff in my life right now, so Im a little defensive.

Old 03-20-2006, 10:46 PM
Naturally Natural

why do you think its ok to breed dobermans for show and other dobermans for work?

isnt the breed a WORKING breed?

why is it ok for a show dog to not have any working ability, or to encourage that?

ARCHX Bowie's Semper Fidelis v DRU, VC CDX ASCA-CDX CDX-H RE RL1X RL2X RL3 ATT WAC TT CGC FFX-OG

Beja's Bombs Away v Bowie, CD ASCA-CD CD-H BN RN NA RL1 WAC ATT YTT PTT CGC

Bowie's Here Comes the Boom!

http://otchrah.blogspot.com/
Old 03-21-2006, 04:04 AM
Staffaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by JennSLK
A dog needs to be titled. For show breeding it needs a CH, or for a working it needs a working title, apropriate to the breed.
I'm hardly an expert on Dobes (Far from it) But why on earth does a dog need to be titled to be bred from Not only are you limiting your options you are limiting the gene pool in which you are using. There will be some fine examples who just never made it to the show ring because their owner didn't want to show...etc....Only breeding from CH dogs is a very narrow minded view, and CH dogs dont always produce quality pups

Floyds website

Solidstaffs forum
Old 03-21-2006, 07:08 AM
Big Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by solidstaffs
I'm hardly an expert on Dobes (Far from it) But why on earth does a dog need to be titled to be bred from Not only are you limiting your options you are limiting the gene pool in which you are using. There will be some fine examples who just never made it to the show ring because their owner didn't want to show...etc....Only breeding from CH dogs is a very narrow minded view, and CH dogs dont always produce quality pups

By breeding dogs (any breed) that get titled, it is certain that the dog being bred is put together at the breed should be to properly function as it should.

Hypothetically, if a dog is bred that was never shown, yeah the owner can look at the dog, and say "Hey it's a dobe, looks fine to me", but form fits function, without being critiqued by that expert eye, they just can't know if the dog is built correctly or if there are pysical faults that will come out twice as faulty in a litter of pups, especially if the stud dog's owner feels the same way, and also breeds a faulty dog they feel is just fine.