Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Dog Breeds

Old 03-26-2006, 05:44 PM
Sit! Good dog.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoxyWench
AND there one of the few groups trying to creat a hybird that are doing it the right way, developing a standard, thye keep a stud book, health testing and ive yet to see a litter of them advertised for sale in any newspaper so im hoping each breeder has a waiting list...

if your gonna do it at least do it right...
Totally

Why not develop new breeds, as long as it is done correctly. There is a distinction between bunging two dogs together that are cute, and breeding for a specific goal (a wolf dog with no wolf or comapanion or other).
"Dogs are our link to paradise. They do not know jealousy or discontent. To sit with a dog on a hillside on a glorious afternoon is to be back in Eden, where doing nothing wasn't boring, it was peace."

Bodhi is the opposite of ignorance, the insight into reality which destroys mental afflictions and brings peace.

Owned by Bodhi Booglaoo and Fredington Holbein

Old 03-26-2006, 05:46 PM
Sit! Good dog.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leslie + Chessies
It is a mix- German Shepherd, Husky and Malamute.

Quote taken from utonagon.net:

Quote:
Around 18years ago the breeds used were the German Shepherd, Malamute and Siberian Husky. All of these breeds played a vital part in producing the Utonagan you see today. This breed of dog is now probably the closest you will come to the "look" of the wolf, and although none of the above breeds are now used, our members will breed only from careful selection of the finest quality stud dogs and brood bitches.
"Dogs are our link to paradise. They do not know jealousy or discontent. To sit with a dog on a hillside on a glorious afternoon is to be back in Eden, where doing nothing wasn't boring, it was peace."

Bodhi is the opposite of ignorance, the insight into reality which destroys mental afflictions and brings peace.

Old 03-26-2006, 05:47 PM
Top Dog

Malamute is not "Wolfy" enough? I know there are differences in looks between Malamutes and Wolves but how much closer in looks does someone need? If you get away from show malamutes you can find some Malamutes who are pretty dang close to wolves (looks wise). Plus they are great dogs
Old 03-26-2006, 05:50 PM
Sit! Good dog.

Apparently not!

I think the NI's and utonagons are definately more wolf like in appearance....

Utonagon

Malamute

Wolf!

Old 03-26-2006, 05:54 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
I have been to that site. This is what I learned:

*The "breed" is only 18 years old (just like the labradoodle).
The labradoodle has to be much older than that Im sure. People have had "mutts" since there became different breeds of dogs. They may have just starting calling them a fancy name 18 years ago. A labradoodle is not a breed (IMO) It is a mutt between 2 full bred dogs of different breeds.

They continue just breeding from labs and poodles then there really is no "line" of labradoodles.

This to me is very different because they trying to create a breed, not a mutt. By breeding the mixed dogs instead of starting over from full breds everytime. At least from what I have read this is what I understand as to what they are doing. I am not saying whether or not I agree with it, right now Im not sure. But I am pointing out the difference.
Old 03-26-2006, 05:54 PM
Show Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dizzy
Quote taken from utonagon.net:
And your point being???
Labradoodles are bred to labradoodles also...neither of the original breeds (Lab, Poodle) are now used in the Australian Labradoodle line (the one wanting AKC recognition). And it seems both "breeds" don't consistantly breed true to standard.

http://www.dreamwolvez.com/pure-bred...-part-two.html
Old 03-26-2006, 06:01 PM
Show Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoe08
The labradoodle has to be much older than that Im sure. People have had "mutts" since there became different breeds of dogs. They may have just starting calling them a fancy name 18 years ago. A labradoodle is not a breed (IMO) It is a mutt between 2 full bred dogs of different breeds.

They continue just breeding from labs and poodles then there really is no "line" of labradoodles.

This to me is very different because they trying to create a breed, not a mutt. By breeding the mixed dogs instead of starting over from full breds everytime. At least from what I have read this is what I understand as to what they are doing. I am not saying whether or not I agree with it, right now Im not sure. But I am pointing out the difference.
No, you are mistaken. Many BYB simply breed labs to poodles, but there is a dedicated group of breeders who are trying to establish the Australian Labradoodle breed and have been breeding Labradoodles to Labradoodles for some time now. Much like the Utonagan breeders.

http://www.australianlabradoodleclub.us/default.asp
Old 03-26-2006, 06:05 PM
Sit! Good dog.

Quote:
And your point being???
You answered it yourself...!

Quote:
No, you are mistaken. Many BYB simply breed labs to poodles, but there is a dedicated group of breeders who are trying to establish the Australian Labradoodle breed and have been breeding Labradoodles to Labradoodles for some time now. Much like the Utonagan breeders.

They are dedicated to their chosen breed. They believe in what they are doing, and are striving to achieve a standard and recognition. I say good luck to them! Stunning dogs and a great idea.

Old 03-26-2006, 06:07 PM
Show Dog

but it isn't a breed. It's a mix.
Old 03-26-2006, 06:09 PM
Sit! Good dog.

lol...

Not any more!

All dogs are mixes, if we are going to take that route!

When did your retriever stop being a mix?