Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 01-24-2005, 02:15 PM

Default little puppy question..

I have a friend (well, it's someone I know) that had her dog have puppies. They are only 6 wks. old, and she has booted the Mom dog out as of well over a week ago (mom dog not being housetrained, I assume....she couldn't wait to scoot her back outside) My question.......don't puppies benefit from 'learning' from their mom well into the ninth week....or am I wrong here? I (probably stupidly) assumed that that was one of the reasons for AKC to want pups to stay with the mom until 9wks??? I thought puppies learned lots of beneficial 'habits' from mom during the 7 to 9 wk. period. I guess she figured since they eat reg. food, mom doesn't have to be in. thoughts???? nope...I don't EVER plan on having any puppies....ever........just curious.
Old 01-24-2005, 02:41 PM
Felurian

You are so completely right Debi!

Ask her to imagine putting a 6 month old baby out on its own to figure life out without a mother.

And it's so cold where you live, too! Shame on her. If the dog isn't housebroken she can at least keep the family in a laundry room or some other place like that until the pups are in their new homes - and no doubt she'll just put them anywhere with no regard for their welfare.

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

There are few things more nauseating than pure obedience. ~ Kvothe

***8206;"silence is the language of god, all else is poor translation."
Rumi
Be a god. Know when to shut up.

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 01-24-2005, 03:08 PM
Playful Husky Pup

I totally agree i keep my puppies with their mom until they are 12 weeks old at the most so i know their eating well on their own. 7 weeks is too early to be away from their mother they still need her wether they are eating regular rood or not. Its her fault not the dogs that the mom is not housetrained yet is old enough to have puppies... I don't know all i do know is its not healthy for mom or puppies.
Old 01-25-2005, 06:05 PM
pointer/labrador/terrier

The pooooor mom...wonder if she would like to be booted out when her child was oh maybe 6? My puppies learned so much not only from their mom but from ol binny dad as well. He taught them where to piddle in the yard (thank you Bin so much for that) they never messed where they played and he taught them the far back of the yard was the spot..he also taught them to play gently..he would absolutely roar if someone nipped to hard and they learned quickly. Wish people would think about the dogs needs before they think of their convenience(sp?)