Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 12-24-2012, 10:20 PM
aka RedHotBabe

I boiled Rumor's in chicken broth. She had never been interested in them before, but afterward she thought it was the best thing ever.
Old 12-24-2012, 10:26 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by PWCorgi View Post
What about doing something else that is cheap? Like Kongs?

Frodo gets a frozen kong every day, holy cow have I saved money since I stopped buying bully sticks!! Plus you can keep it super fun and interesting (raw meat, canned food, fruit, veggies, peanut butter, etc etc.) The opportunities are ENDLESS! The other day I had a banana that was super ripe, so I squished it up and mixed it with peanut butter. nom nom!
This! I do frozen Kongs almost daily with my dogs - I stuff them with freeze- dried food, kibble, canned food, treats, whatever. I have five Kongs for each dog, I spend about an hour stuffing them all and then they all go in the freezer so I can just grab one when I need one.

They still get chewy things about twice a week but Kong's are so much cheaper! Especially since I can get the majority of the fillings for free or really cheap!
Old 12-24-2012, 10:27 PM
orange iguanas.

Luckily Juno likes Nylabones lol. She treats the different shapes and textures differently though - the galileo and dinosaur ones she'll chew on, but the ring shaped one just gets thrown around the house lol.

Have you done antlers? Or hooves - cheaper than dirt, lasts Juno a long time (waaaaayyyy longer than 12", thick bully sticks), and if you can get your hands on raw ones instead of the brittle cooked ones, they don't smell horrendous.

Juno 2009 :: Happy 2000 :: Lucy 2006 :: Cajun 2013
Old 12-24-2012, 10:51 PM
Priscilla Winifred Corgi

You could also look into the new Romp n Chomp line, cause they have treats that go into them. Maybe you can just eventually not buy the fillings and he will keep chewing?

Ado's Gimme Victory RL1* "Siri"
1.5 year old Jack Russell Terrier
Gimme Drugs Not Hugs RL1 "Frodo"
8 year old Pembroke Welsh Corgi

*All Siri's rally/obedience titles are to be considered handled by Megan,
because ain't nobody (read: me) got time or skills fo' dat.
Old 12-24-2012, 11:25 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by stardogs View Post
Give them to another dog to start? That always seemed to work best with my fosters!
Tried this - he'll chew it in front of other dogs, but onc we're home, he could care less! lol.

Quote:
What about doing something else that is cheap? Like Kongs?

Frodo gets a frozen kong every day, holy cow have I saved money since I stopped buying bully sticks!! Plus you can keep it super fun and interesting (raw meat, canned food, fruit, veggies, peanut butter, etc etc.) The opportunities are ENDLESS! The other day I had a banana that was super ripe, so I squished it up and mixed it with peanut butter. nom nom!
We do Kongs but they don't last us long at all. Maybe I'm not stuffing them enough. He does like PB now (which he never used to) so that's a yay! He doesn't care much for frozen yogurt anymore, so I guess I'm going to have to get more creative. Oh and bananas are a big 'yuck' to him. LOL. He's such a PITA.

Brit & Jackson

Old 12-24-2012, 11:26 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedHotDobe View Post
I boiled Rumor's in chicken broth. She had never been interested in them before, but afterward she thought it was the best thing ever.
I think this is what I'm going to try! He's SUCH a food mongrel freak, that I think as long as it tastes like something really yummy, he'll chew on it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southpaw View Post
Luckily Juno likes Nylabones lol. She treats the different shapes and textures differently though - the galileo and dinosaur ones she'll chew on, but the ring shaped one just gets thrown around the house lol.

Have you done antlers? Or hooves - cheaper than dirt, lasts Juno a long time (waaaaayyyy longer than 12", thick bully sticks), and if you can get your hands on raw ones instead of the brittle cooked ones, they don't smell horrendous.
He won't touch antlers at all, lol. I've tried the kind that is split in the middle, and the other kind, and three different sizes. I end up giving them to my family members dogs. I kind of worry about broken teeth with them too to be honest.

But maybe I'll try some other nylabones, like the dinosaur shaped one, etc, rather than just the original shaped.

Brit & Jackson

Old 12-24-2012, 11:29 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
You could also look into the new Romp n Chomp line, cause they have treats that go into them. Maybe you can just eventually not buy the fillings and he will keep chewing?
Those look pretty cool!

Brit & Jackson

Old 12-25-2012, 01:40 AM
Mainstreme Elitist

Boiling them in chicken broth sounds like a great idea! We have a few that just sit around the house because none of the dogs have been interested in them, so I might try that myself.

Although I got Cara the nylabone 'stick' for Christmas and of course gave it to her early and she's been playing with it and chewing on it all night.

My little dog - a heartbeat at my feet
Old 12-25-2012, 10:11 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Upendi&Mina View Post
Boiling them in chicken broth sounds like a great idea! We have a few that just sit around the house because none of the dogs have been interested in them, so I might try that myself.

Although I got Cara the nylabone 'stick' for Christmas and of course gave it to her early and she's been playing with it and chewing on it all night.
Jackson also had a nylabone stick in his stocking this year! It says it's made of real wood, and polythene or whatever? I'm going to see if he likes it later - he's snoozing now. All the Christmas excitement wore him out

Brit & Jackson

Old 12-27-2012, 02:51 AM
Top Dog

Gus was the only one of my dogs that really cared about Nylabones and Gumabones. Gumabones lasted minutes, so they were just a waste of money, but he got some chew time on the Nylabones, but he eventually would break them into pieces, so they weren't ideal either. Basically, to satisfy his chewing compulsion, we just bought endless boxes of rawhide strips. He ate about a dozen a day for 14+ years.