Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #11  
Old 12-24-2012, 10:20 PM
RedHotDobe's Avatar
RedHotDobe RedHotDobe is offline
aka RedHotBabe
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Maryland
Posts: 4,364
Default

I boiled Rumor's in chicken broth. She had never been interested in them before, but afterward she thought it was the best thing ever.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 12-24-2012, 10:26 PM
JustaLilBitaLuck's Avatar
JustaLilBitaLuck JustaLilBitaLuck is offline
Top Dog
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 1,919
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PWCorgi View Post
What about doing something else that is cheap? Like Kongs?

Frodo gets a frozen kong every day, holy cow have I saved money since I stopped buying bully sticks!! Plus you can keep it super fun and interesting (raw meat, canned food, fruit, veggies, peanut butter, etc etc.) The opportunities are ENDLESS! The other day I had a banana that was super ripe, so I squished it up and mixed it with peanut butter. nom nom!
This! I do frozen Kongs almost daily with my dogs - I stuff them with freeze- dried food, kibble, canned food, treats, whatever. I have five Kongs for each dog, I spend about an hour stuffing them all and then they all go in the freezer so I can just grab one when I need one.

They still get chewy things about twice a week but Kong's are so much cheaper! Especially since I can get the majority of the fillings for free or really cheap!
__________________
Megan
| Jack - Lhasa Apso | Missy - Rottweiler | Heidi - Cocker Spaniel | Sassy - Siamese | Emmy & Oscar - Parakeets |
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 12-24-2012, 10:27 PM
Southpaw's Avatar
Southpaw Southpaw is offline
orange iguanas.
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 6,969
Default

Luckily Juno likes Nylabones lol. She treats the different shapes and textures differently though - the galileo and dinosaur ones she'll chew on, but the ring shaped one just gets thrown around the house lol.

Have you done antlers? Or hooves - cheaper than dirt, lasts Juno a long time (waaaaayyyy longer than 12", thick bully sticks), and if you can get your hands on raw ones instead of the brittle cooked ones, they don't smell horrendous.
__________________
And if all of it is for naught, well at least I took a shot

Juno 2009 :: Happy 2000 :: Lucy 2006 :: Cajun 2013
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 12-24-2012, 10:51 PM
PWCorgi's Avatar
PWCorgi PWCorgi is offline
Priscilla Winifred Corgi
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Twin Citay!
Posts: 14,575
Default

You could also look into the new Romp n Chomp line, cause they have treats that go into them. Maybe you can just eventually not buy the fillings and he will keep chewing?
__________________

Ado's Gimme Victory RL1* "Siri"
1.5 year old Jack Russell Terrier
Gimme Drugs Not Hugs RL1 "Frodo"
8 year old Pembroke Welsh Corgi


*All Siri's rally/obedience titles are to be considered handled by Megan,
because ain't nobody (read: me) got time or skills fo' dat.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 12-24-2012, 11:25 PM
JacksonsMom's Avatar
JacksonsMom JacksonsMom is offline
Top Dog
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Maryland
Posts: 7,860
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by stardogs View Post
Give them to another dog to start? That always seemed to work best with my fosters!
Tried this - he'll chew it in front of other dogs, but onc we're home, he could care less! lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PWCorgi View Post
What about doing something else that is cheap? Like Kongs?

Frodo gets a frozen kong every day, holy cow have I saved money since I stopped buying bully sticks!! Plus you can keep it super fun and interesting (raw meat, canned food, fruit, veggies, peanut butter, etc etc.) The opportunities are ENDLESS! The other day I had a banana that was super ripe, so I squished it up and mixed it with peanut butter. nom nom!
We do Kongs but they don't last us long at all. Maybe I'm not stuffing them enough. He does like PB now (which he never used to) so that's a yay! He doesn't care much for frozen yogurt anymore, so I guess I'm going to have to get more creative. Oh and bananas are a big 'yuck' to him. LOL. He's such a PITA.
__________________

Brit & Jackson


Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 12-24-2012, 11:26 PM
JacksonsMom's Avatar
JacksonsMom JacksonsMom is offline
Top Dog
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Maryland
Posts: 7,860
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedHotDobe View Post
I boiled Rumor's in chicken broth. She had never been interested in them before, but afterward she thought it was the best thing ever.
I think this is what I'm going to try! He's SUCH a food mongrel freak, that I think as long as it tastes like something really yummy, he'll chew on it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southpaw View Post
Luckily Juno likes Nylabones lol. She treats the different shapes and textures differently though - the galileo and dinosaur ones she'll chew on, but the ring shaped one just gets thrown around the house lol.

Have you done antlers? Or hooves - cheaper than dirt, lasts Juno a long time (waaaaayyyy longer than 12", thick bully sticks), and if you can get your hands on raw ones instead of the brittle cooked ones, they don't smell horrendous.
He won't touch antlers at all, lol. I've tried the kind that is split in the middle, and the other kind, and three different sizes. I end up giving them to my family members dogs. I kind of worry about broken teeth with them too to be honest.

But maybe I'll try some other nylabones, like the dinosaur shaped one, etc, rather than just the original shaped.
__________________

Brit & Jackson


Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 12-24-2012, 11:29 PM
JacksonsMom's Avatar
JacksonsMom JacksonsMom is offline
Top Dog
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Maryland
Posts: 7,860
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PWCorgi View Post
You could also look into the new Romp n Chomp line, cause they have treats that go into them. Maybe you can just eventually not buy the fillings and he will keep chewing?
Those look pretty cool!
__________________

Brit & Jackson


Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 12-25-2012, 01:40 AM
Upendi&Mina's Avatar
Upendi&Mina Upendi&Mina is offline
Mainstreme Elitist
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Wonderland
Posts: 2,517
Default

Boiling them in chicken broth sounds like a great idea! We have a few that just sit around the house because none of the dogs have been interested in them, so I might try that myself.

Although I got Cara the nylabone 'stick' for Christmas and of course gave it to her early and she's been playing with it and chewing on it all night.
__________________


My little dog - a heartbeat at my feet
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 12-25-2012, 10:11 AM
JacksonsMom's Avatar
JacksonsMom JacksonsMom is offline
Top Dog
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Maryland
Posts: 7,860
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Upendi&Mina View Post
Boiling them in chicken broth sounds like a great idea! We have a few that just sit around the house because none of the dogs have been interested in them, so I might try that myself.

Although I got Cara the nylabone 'stick' for Christmas and of course gave it to her early and she's been playing with it and chewing on it all night.
Jackson also had a nylabone stick in his stocking this year! It says it's made of real wood, and polythene or whatever? I'm going to see if he likes it later - he's snoozing now. All the Christmas excitement wore him out
__________________

Brit & Jackson


Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 12-27-2012, 02:51 AM
Ratboy's Avatar
Ratboy Ratboy is offline
Top Dog
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Toledo, Ohio
Posts: 660
Default

Gus was the only one of my dogs that really cared about Nylabones and Gumabones. Gumabones lasted minutes, so they were just a waste of money, but he got some chew time on the Nylabones, but he eventually would break them into pieces, so they weren't ideal either. Basically, to satisfy his chewing compulsion, we just bought endless boxes of rawhide strips. He ate about a dozen a day for 14+ years.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:37 PM.


1997-2013 Chazhound Dog Site