Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 12-24-2012, 07:04 PM
Top Dog

I've only lost one dog, my childhood dog and best friend. He was an American Eskimo named Cody. My uncle's girlfriend bought him at a pet store, then left him with my uncle, and my Mom wanted him because my father wasn't around much and she was alone with me as a toddler. He was one and I was two. He died at 16, in his sleep.

I didn't have the easiest time of things as a child, and Cody was there, through everything. I loved him more than I loved my family and human friends.

In this picture I'm 13, he's 12. He stayed full of energy and had no health problems up until about 14 years old.

We're 7 and 6 here:

http://www.adorablebeasts.blogspot.com
Old 12-24-2012, 08:03 PM
Top Dog

I don't have access to any pics of my first dog, a Pekingese (or mix) named Laci that we got from the shelter when I was 14. We did obedience classes and she was just a fun little dog, up for everything.

My next dog was a little elderly Yorkie, Alex, from the shelter I volunteered at. He was considered unadoptable because he was ten, so they were not going to put him up for adoption, but knew I wanted a Yorkie. His elderly owner lost her home (landlord sold it) and she could not take them with her. His female companion was also considered unadoptable and was put down before they called me. He ended up having a heart issue, and was later diagnosed as being diabetic. But he lived happily until 15

My Sheba was next. A lovely Basset I adopted when she was about a year and a half. The shelter director's son had given been given the dog by his girlfriend, but they'd broken up and she'd come to live with them. She lived with another dog and it was decided that they really only wanted to care for one dog, so the other dog was chosen to stay. She was a fabulous dog and a friend to all. We did obedience classes (though she started quite a bit later), she earned her CD and was trained through Open. By that time she was 8 though and was getting a little arthritis, so we chose to not let her compete with jumps. She dabbled in flyball, but we weren't competitive and the flyball group at our club was a bit snooty about people who wanted to do the classes for fun, so we stopped going to those.

Legend was next, my first Chow. Aside from being hit with really unfortunate hips, which he had surgery for, and being allergic to all things green (which we remedied by keeping him off grass and away from trees) he was perfect in pretty much every way. He went pretty much everywhere with me And each night we'd walk several miles at around 11 at night, to avoid the IL mugginess.
He loved the move to Arizona, but I'm sure that if asked he would have said he missed the snow

Sheba, Legend and the Hooligan

With baby Aesop

That brings us to the herd today
Old 12-24-2012, 08:22 PM
The Littlest Hound

I'm sure this goes without saying, but I love the pictures of your basset <3

The Plotts:
UKC GRCH 'PR' Hannas Creek Liz
CCH 'PR' Jebb's Bayou Rage CA

And the "off-colored" hounds:
Daisy Duke Garrett CGC, RA & my <3 dog (basset)

Very Missed:
UKC GRCH CCH 'PR' Skyplott Teddy Bearhug
UKC CH CCH 'PR' Hannas Creek Irresistible You
'PR' Dead River K-N-A Swagger - the BAD puppy!
(and Autumn, the feist.)
Old 12-24-2012, 08:57 PM
Top Dog

Well...this is a depressing topic for Christmas eve .
First was Missy, my childhood beagle mix. She was a good little dog but had severe separation anxiety..like went through crates and eventually glass windows.

Baxter was next...probably the first dog I took real interest in, taught tricks, walked him all over town. Maintenance guy left the gate open and he was hit by a car.

We got Sam after Baxter passed...through and through he was 'my' dog, I traipsed around hiking trails with him and Casey all through my teens. He was 9 when a mass ruptured in his spleen.

Finn, the troubled soul.

Casey we'd had since she was 5-6 weeks old, got her from the shelter. She's always been around and it's rough not having her around.

And I can't leave out my Kiki...I miss her so much, she was just my heart kitty. I plucked her out of a trailer park, she was FeLV+ and had a severe murmur. She passed away suddenly after two years.

Old 12-24-2012, 10:18 PM
"I'm kupo for kupo nuts!"

I'm still a young'n (=P) so I don't really have many dogs in my past. But I dearly miss the ones I do have.

Blackie was our family's first dog ever. He is why I love Labradors. I really wish I had gotten him when I was older and could really appreciate having everything he had to offer...but I'm glad he was there for me growing up, too. Heck, I just wish he was still alive and well.

^ as a senior man

Loupie was our neighbor's dog, but she lived with us. She has given me a deep love of Malamutes. She was our romping buddy and watched over us like a mother hen. We always wanted her on our team when we played football, because she would come and stand on top of whoever was knocked down and not let the back up due to her wanting to give us kisses. Before we knew her name was Loupie, we called her "Licky". LOL

Brownie was a stray that found us and was Rose's mom. She was only with us for a few months (she was unfortunately hit by a car when the pups were about four weeks old), but she was a good girl. Very sweet, great with us kids. She would go mouse hunting with my brother, hated it when we left the house, and would herd our neighbor's cows.

And not really "our" dog, but Sadie played a big part in my life. We raised her for Leader Dogs for the Blind and she is now serving as a Guide Dog. Wish she had been our dog, though. She was so much like Blackie and cemented my love for Labs. Brilliant girl, and I still miss her to this day even though she's been gone for almost six years now.

And not a dog...but our very first pet, kitty Rush. Best cat ever. We got him when I was two. He grew up with me, my older brother, and survived the birth of three other children. He was a comforter, a teacher, and a playmate. I hope to one day have another cat as majestic as he was.

Abrams, Momma's boy Chesapeake Bay Retriever and Cynder, Daddy's girl little lab muttly
~*~ DOB 4/11/13 ~*~ DOB 1/28/2006 ~*~

Old 12-24-2012, 10:31 PM
orange iguanas.

Not much to say about Molly other than she was the Best Dog Ever. My heart still aches for her every day. All I want is another dog like her.

Juno 2009 :: Happy 2000 :: Lucy 2006 :: Cajun 2013
Old 12-24-2012, 11:14 PM
Squishy face

There are two cats that meant a lot to me.

Like Siam. This was her going MEOW, PET ME.

And Ashten was awesome.

Benji was a special dog, even though he was annoying.

Sunny wasn't a personal dog, but I used to walk her all the time for her owner. She was a real sweetie.

And I can't forget Sooner, Daisy's momma. Sooner was a very good girl. Except when she got into the trash that one new years and ate all those chicken wing bones. And the time at that halloween party when she ate a huge bag of hot dogs whole and then puked them up on the living room floor. Daisy really is Sooner's daughter. XD

"Give thanks to God for being dog. He gave us the joy of angels." - Trixie Koontz, Dog, Trixie Treats & Holiday Wisdom - Christmas is Good!
Old 12-24-2012, 11:51 PM
Top Dog

I can't forget my Grimmy dog. I adopted him from my workplace after he was surrendered as a wee tot with Parvo. His original name was Moses...

He was always a happy, happy dog..even if you scolded him, he'd be smiling a split second later. He loved everyone. He was always the healthiest dog, which is why it came as such a shock when he developed ITP. He succumbed in spite of hospitalization at a referral center and a transfusion
Old 12-24-2012, 11:52 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlottMom View Post
I'm sure this goes without saying, but I love the pictures of your basset <3
She was a great girl We'll have a Basset again one day
Old 12-25-2012, 06:46 AM
Top Dog

Max was my childhood dog and the reason for my love of animals today. He was such a good boy, loved kids, was just so sweet and affectionate, you could literally pet him for hours and he would love every second. And as soon as you'd stop petting him he'd look up at you and start wagging his tail asking for more. He would spend hours in the yard sitting proudly on his picnic table (people in the neighborhood called him the picnic table dog) watching the world go by, or he'd lie on the grass in a patch of sun, he loved basking in it. He died almost 6 years ago, shortly after I joined the forum here. I wish he had been around long enough to benefit from all I learned here.

He LOVED Christmas (and we loved watching him love Christmas, my 28 year old brother still brings it up every Christmas, asking if we remember how excited he'd get)

Thank you ~Dixie's Mom~ for my awesome siggy!