Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Food and Recipes

Old 01-26-2005, 11:56 AM
Big Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by candy722
Well, I think 6.6 lb is a bit big. Toki gets sick of it so I usually have to keep changing brands or I would have to mix it with wet food inorder for him to eat it. I got him Royal canine 3lb bag and just towards his last 2 cups he wouldn't want to eat it anymore. Can you believe that? So if I get a 5 lb bag it last me for 2 months or maybe more.

They say that changing brands all the time is not good for the dogs...
"Dogs have given us their absolute all. We are the center of their universe. We are the focus of their love and faith and trust. They serve us in return for scraps. It is without a doubt the best deal man has ever made." ~Roger Caras
Prita's slideshow
Old 01-26-2005, 12:57 PM
Love my pets

Dogs system take a bit to get used to different brands. I know when you introduce a new food it has to be done slowly.

Renee, I called up my local pet food store and they are ordering me a bag of Innova EVO to try. It should be in this week depending on the weather - another 6" today. I'll be shovelling after I finish my postings.
Old 01-26-2005, 01:05 PM
Felurian

I think whether or not you have problems switching food depends on the dog, and of course, it helps when you're "trading up" on the food. One thing to keep in mind is not to overfeed. The higher nutritive value a food has the less it takes - don't get tempted to feed your dog extra, especially of the EVO. Charley did that - once. He won't be doing that again!

Read the feeding guidelines. You can get them at www.naturapet.com , and it's on the bag, too. I've put a 2 cup measuring cup in my dogs' food to make sure they get the right amount.

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

There are few things more nauseating than pure obedience. ~ Kvothe

***8206;"silence is the language of god, all else is poor translation."
Rumi
Be a god. Know when to shut up.

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 01-27-2005, 01:32 AM
Top Dog

I want to feed him more but he wont eat. So I will fill up his bow 1 cup of dog food and he will eat it all or just leave some and it depends on his mood. Sometimes he won't eat much and sometimes he acts like his starving after fed. I switch dog food gradually. I mix it with old dry food and new food.
Old 01-27-2005, 10:07 AM
Felurian

Candy, that's way too much food for a little bitty dog. Please check the feeding guidelines, they're very important, especially with the premium foods. It's fine to leave it out for him; grazing is really the ideal way for a dog to eat, just don't leave so much that he can overeat. The EVO, especially, is very rich.

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

Rumi

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 01-28-2005, 04:06 AM
Quigleyfied

Quote:
Originally Posted by josephine
They say that changing brands all the time is not good for the dogs...
who are "they"? also, "not good" is a very vague statement.

it is true that some dogs have a little more trouble adjusting to a new food than others, but taking that into consideration you can just make the switch more slowly if you have to. generally 3-5 days is a good time frame, but some dogs need a little longer. some switch "cold turkey" without a problem at all.

as far as nutrients go, if you feed commercial food exclusively, it is much better for the dog to rotate between several high quality brands rather than to feed the dog the same food all his or her life. products are formulated differently and feeding the same thing all the time, without any variety, automatically makes the body accumulate too much of one thing but not enough of another.

the claim that all foods are "complete and balanced" is absolutely ridiculous. requirements differ depending on age, health status, genetics and many other factors, and commercial dog foods are not designed with the individual dog in mind. they cover the "averages", but for many dogs that is not good enough. if it was, we'd all have perfectly healthy dogs that live to 30 years old.

last but not least - you don't eat the exact same thing two or three times daily, every day. why would you expect your dog to do that - a carnivorous animal that has evolved as a scavenger, eating a wide variety of foods.
Old 01-28-2005, 04:12 AM
Island dweller

Mordy, what is your opinion on feeding a high quality food but also giving them some beneficial "extras" ... garlic, yogurt, veggies, clean meat... I think that is a good way to give them variety and supplement a little.

of course, anyone else can and should express their opinion. I know what you'll say Renee
Old 01-28-2005, 09:45 AM
Love my pets

Renee, just got the bag of Innova EVO last night. I put some in both dogs' food last night. Max loved it. CJ actually picked out the pieces of EVO and ate everything else. Max then went over to CJ's bowl and finished the EVO. CJ is something else!
Old 01-28-2005, 11:08 AM
Felurian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saje
Mordy, what is your opinion on feeding a high quality food but also giving them some beneficial "extras" ... garlic, yogurt, veggies, clean meat... I think that is a good way to give them variety and supplement a little.

of course, anyone else can and should express their opinion. I know what you'll say Renee
Then I won't say it! PTHHHHT!

Rumi

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 01-29-2005, 05:46 PM
Quigleyfied

sorry, i missed that last time i visited this thread.

i do believe that adding fresh, whole foods is definitely a plus, as long as it isn't junk food, highly processed or full of artificial ingredients.