Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Forum News > The Fire Hydrant

Old 12-23-2012, 11:02 PM
Twin 2

I always do that stuff with Traveler to get him looking at me all interested but Didgie is such a butt about it because as soon as I make any noises or things to get her attention she starts snapping her jaws and talking back. She's a snot.
Old 12-23-2012, 11:03 PM
Love My Mutt <3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linds View Post
Pretty much I put it on Manual and promised myself I wouldn't take it off for a year. From there is was just trial and error and I'm still learning. It's been a year and half on Manual.
I think that's my plan for 2013...

Goodbye, Rosey. You were the best girl I could have asked for. 10/15/96-03/08/13
Old 12-24-2012, 12:01 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdrianneIsabel View Post
A couple examples:
1/640 /2.8 ISO 6400 59 mm
*spittakes* That's with ISO 6400?!?!! I was always fighting graininess with my Nikon D40. I never went over 400 if I could help it. What makes the difference? I want to guess something about the sensor in the camera body.
Old 12-24-2012, 12:10 AM
Glutton for Crazy

My camera is a full format, it allows for a finer grain. I use and abuse high ISO regularly because of this.
Chili Brigades Brover 5/23/14 -

Arnold CGC TDI FD 6/29/04 - 07/05/13
Backup CGC HIC CD SRD SJ-N RATI 12/29/09 - 07/05/13

You were amazing, we did amazing things.

Harmony Canine, relationship based training.
Old 12-24-2012, 08:11 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linds View Post
Since we're already all over the board I have a question.

After the new year I'm going to start saving up and looking around for a nicer zoom lens of some sort. I want it under 1000 dollars but one that I'm going to be happy. Any ideas? I don't mind older or used as long as they are still quality.

You all see what I take pictures of Dogs running around like crazy. I don't want to have to use a tripod but I would like something that I don't have to be right up close to the dogs like I do with my 50.

Ideas?
70-200mm, hands down. I have the f/4 (non-IS) version which (you shoot Canon, right?) you can get for around $550 used. It's my go to lens and I use it for just about everything. The 2.8 version is more expensive, it's next on my list.. but I have a love affair with my f/4 and I'm afraid to sell it!

Quote:
My camera is a full format, it allows for a finer grain. I use and abuse high ISO regularly because of this.
This is one thing I need to get braver with.. I'm like.. afraid of high ISO for some reason, yet I have a camera that's basically designed for it. Most of my shots are at ISO 800 or lower!
Old 12-24-2012, 09:00 AM
& the Muttly Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grab View Post
Hmm, there's both a 35 mm and a 50mm 1.8 with only about a $20 difference... Things to ponder
Where did you see a 35mm for only $20 more than the 50mm?

ARCHX U-CD Kim MX MXJ NF CL3-SF RL3/2X/1X-COE CGC -- Golden Ditzhund, b. ~Mar'07
MACH ARCHX U-CD Webster MXB MJB RL3/2X/1X-COE CGC -- Flying Houdini, b. ~Jun'07
Mira CD JH MX MXB MXJ MJB CGC WCX -- Princess Cheeseface, b. Jul'09
Lodin -- Crazy Monkeybean, b. Dec'13
Old 12-24-2012, 09:18 AM
Glutton for Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by kady05 View Post
This is one thing I need to get braver with.. I'm like.. afraid of high ISO for some reason, yet I have a camera that's basically designed for it. Most of my shots are at ISO 800 or lower!
I will say one of the benefits of classes is we're forced to explore our cameras more. For years I worked with film, manned the dark room, explored assignments requiring only 400ISO film or 60ISO film, 35mm or medium format, only natural light or only artificial, only abstract or only in the methods of an assigned photographer.

When we moved to color film and then digital we repeated the process of assignments. I've been more classically trained and yet I honestly have the least "fine art" eye than my classmates. Most went on to do fine art work and push for gallery positions, I went on to work as a commercial photographer. I have a very strong appreciation for fine art but it's taken a long time to find my place, too much of my fine art (like many students at a younger age) was forced yet I have always had an eye for both classical and contemporary portrait and commercial work so I went where I fit best at the time.

I can't seem to find any scans of my film work, which I swore were on here, but this is an example of an assignment that forced us to work in a certain way and explore our cameras in addition to our visions.

This project was similar to a beauty and blythe assignment, no people allowed but it's an attempt to show the landscape how you see it.

An assignment working with hot lights for the first time

The critiques are the most important, the balance of helping but not destroying an artists confidence is challenging, each student can take a varied amount and a "oh that's pretty" when it's really a mess won't ever make a better artist. I've had some of my work slayed and gone home crushed but some other artists go home with a renewed passion. Find a good teacher/mentor is my best advice for anyone seeking expansion. My professor was fantastic, she knew long before I did where I was best suited in the art world and helped me find my strengths.

I still wish I could have lived out my dream of documentary work for TIME or Nat Geo but the lifestyle isn't conducive to my other passions so instead I'll just teach about it if I ever get the courage up for my praxis and application in for my M.Ed.

Old 12-24-2012, 09:26 AM
Behavior Nerd

I'm still very much learning, but I do have a fb album that details the settings I use on pictures I post SOOC. I'm setting it to public temporarily if anyone wants to browse. https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...1&l=b85b749ceb

Old 12-24-2012, 09:38 AM
Glutton for Crazy

Come to think of it, for those interested, we could do a 52 weeks style thing with challenges and moderated critiques on Chaz...

Old 12-24-2012, 09:44 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Come to think of it, for those interested, we could do a 52 weeks style thing with challenges and moderated critiques on Chaz...
YES! Do it.

Taboo, Zuma, Mighty Mouse, Zinga, Edgar, Zip Tie