Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Forum News > The Fire Hydrant

Old 12-23-2012, 11:36 PM
Behavior Nerd

I got my 80-200mm Canon from Adorama for under $70. Have I said how much I love used gear? LOL

Old 12-23-2012, 11:36 PM
Twin 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Equinox View Post

The one time someone else (as in, someone other than me) threw the ball for my dog, I was so excited because I actually got to take pictures of Trent playing catch. THAT turned out to mean "hey, I'll stand here across the field while you throw the ball at me, because then Trent will be close enough and facing the right direction for pictures"
YES!

The pictures of Didgie I just got in the 'snow' involved me sitting in front of my sister saying "ok, throw the frisbee at me. But try not to hit me" and then a lot of ducking, rolling and throwing myself to the side.

I don't think during the summer I ever leave the dog park dry since I'm always thigh deep in the water

But I will say my dogs stays are AWESOME because of all the "You stay here while I walk aaaaalll the way over there, throw your toy, situate myself and then release you"
Old 12-23-2012, 11:40 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdrianneIsabel View Post
Yup, you can only go as low as your lens will allow. For example my 24-70mm f/2.8 can go to f/2.8 but my 50mm f/1.8 can go down to f/1.8. A standard 18-55mm f/4.5-5.6 can only go down to f/4.5 or f/5.6 depending on the zoom.

Again, the 50mm 1.8 is only 92 dollars on B&H.com right now so that's a great option to buy and tinker with before you start laying down some serious cash.

Your glass will always be the most expensive part of photography.
I have a Nikon, though. So with my camera I have to stick with the AF-S lenses if I want the auto focus option
Old 12-23-2012, 11:40 PM
Glutton for Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by stardogs View Post
I got my 80-200mm Canon from Adorama for under $70. Have I said how much I love used gear? LOL
That's an incredible deal!

This is my next goal...

Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM Telephoto Zoom Lens
Chili Brigades Brover 5/23/14 -

Arnold CGC TDI FD 6/29/04 - 07/05/13
Backup CGC HIC CD SRD SJ-N RATI 12/29/09 - 07/05/13

You were amazing, we did amazing things.

Harmony Canine, relationship based training.
Old 12-23-2012, 11:42 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Definitely!! A more expensive option is the 50mm 1.4 or a 35mm.

These were 50mm of my nephew

Hmm, there's both a 35 mm and a 50mm 1.8 with only about a $20 difference... Things to ponder

I do mostly still photos (or attempted still photos...I do have a child who throws himself at me whenever I take a pic). But once in awhile the dogs or kiddo are running about
Old 12-23-2012, 11:43 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linds View Post
YES!

The pictures of Didgie I just got in the 'snow' involved me sitting in front of my sister saying "ok, throw the frisbee at me. But try not to hit me" and then a lot of ducking, rolling and throwing myself to the side.

I don't think during the summer I ever leave the dog park dry since I'm always thigh deep in the water
Hahaha, you know, I think that really renews my appreciation for good action shots. Most never realize the amount of time and crazy that goes into them

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linds View Post
But I will say my dogs stays are AWESOME because of all the "You stay here while I walk aaaaalll the way over there, throw your toy, situate myself and then release you"
THIS. I do this. All the time!! I look ridiculous because our games of catch go like this -

Me: "Trent, stay" *throws ball*
Trent: -sigh-
Me: *shuffles over to where the ball landed, and then a few feet beyond that, sometimes straight on and sometimes to the side*
Me: *fumbles with camera settings*
Me: *psychs Trent out a few times because by now he is bored and I want an alert look*
Me: "Okay, GO GET IT!" *snaps away*

- Trent gets the ball, I take it, we go back to where we started, and repeat -
Old 12-23-2012, 11:47 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by stardogs View Post
Have I said how much I love used gear? LOL
Me, too! I buy almost everything used. My Nikon D90 was $500 with under 2,000 actuations from a hobby photographer who upgraded to a D700.

My 50mm f/1.8 D was $50. Best $50 ever spent!
Old 12-23-2012, 11:48 PM
Bored Now.

Quote:
A couple examples:
1/640 /2.8 ISO 6400 59 mm

The light was awful in this forest so I pumped the ISO up to 6400 and the dogs were not holding still well so I pumped the shutter speed up as high as I could without losing too much light which was 1/640 (for action shots I try to stay above 1/1000) and to compensate for these other two settings I dropped my f stop to f/2.8. Notice how his nose is out of focus but his eyes and anything on the same plain, such as the wubba, are? The last number is the zoom distance. I have a 24-70mm lens on and I had it at 59mm.

Grain, but not bad and frankly I enjoy grain. This photo needed it's white balance adjusted and some moderate exposure adjustments because like I said, tinkering.
You are AWESOME. Thank you so much for the breakdown! I saw those pics, loved them, and was wondering what your settings were and how to re-create that. I think I have my ISO too low in natural light settings. I need to be a little more adventurous.

Just in case Leah happens to see this thread - could you tell me what your settings were for the recent snow photos? I fail at getting pictures exposed properly with a dark-colored dog and a light background.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FG167 View Post
I'm going to have to read this thread, play with my camera, read this thread, play with my camera etc to really "get" what you are showing me. I'm such a noob
That's the trick. Playing with the camera. My suggestion, because this was what I did - pick some shots people have revealed their settings for, write them down, fold up the paper and keep it in your camera bag. Then when you're in a similar lighting situation, you can set your camera to those settings and adjust from there.

This better mean we see more pictures from you.
Old 12-23-2012, 11:48 PM
Glutton for Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Equinox View Post
Hahaha, you know, I think that really renews my appreciation for good action shots. Most never realize the amount of time and crazy that goes into them

THIS. I do this. All the time!! I look ridiculous because our games of catch go like this -

Me: "Trent, stay" *throws ball*
Me: *shuffles over to where the ball landed, and then a few feet beyond that, sometimes straight on and sometimes to the side*
Me: *fumbles with camera settings*
Me: *psychs Trent out a few times because by now he is bored and I want an alert look*
Me: "Okay, GO GET IT!" *snaps away*

- Trent gets the ball, I take it, we go back to where we started, and repeat -

My dogs are SO tired of me faking them out. It is much easier with the herding breeds, mind you, Arnold and Shamoo roll their eyes and sigh no matter how often I fake them out.
Chili Brigades Brover 5/23/14 -

Arnold CGC TDI FD 6/29/04 - 07/05/13
Backup CGC HIC CD SRD SJ-N RATI 12/29/09 - 07/05/13

You were amazing, we did amazing things.

Harmony Canine, relationship based training.
Old 12-24-2012, 12:00 AM
Top Dog

Quote:

My dogs are SO tired of me faking them out. It is much easier with the herding breeds, mind you, Arnold and Shamoo roll their eyes and sigh no matter how often I fake them out.
LOL. I've recently started hollering the names of every dog in the neighborhood - he recognizes some of them so I pretend they're approaching and make a huge fuss. Our cats' names work even better, but usually all it takes is a "OMG LOOK AT ME. I'm super excited about absolutely nothing!!"

The lies I feed my dog... and the poor thing still falls for it, too. Granted, he will catch on after a few minutes, but I've gotten more creative over the years. I just don't want to know what my neighbors think of me xD