Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Forum News > The Fire Hydrant

Old 12-25-2012, 08:59 PM
Glutton for Crazy

You import them the same way as jpegs but you can edit so much more, you'll be thrilled. you'll need to save/export as jpegs for uploading purposes though.
Chili Brigades Brover 5/23/14 -

Arnold CGC TDI FD 6/29/04 - 07/05/13
Backup CGC HIC CD SRD SJ-N RATI 12/29/09 - 07/05/13

You were amazing, we did amazing things.

Harmony Canine, relationship based training.
Old 12-25-2012, 10:18 PM
Top Dog

Yup, just shoot RAW. So much easier to tweak with those over JPEGs.
Old 12-25-2012, 10:45 PM
Top Dog

I know this is a photography thread, but have you guys messed around with action sets in photoshop? Any favorites? I like them a lot for different things.

Old 12-25-2012, 10:59 PM
Top Dog

I shoot in JPEG + RAW and I really prefer what I can recover/tweak in RAW vs. JPEG. I just shoot in JPEG for the times when I want to do a quick upload SOOC. Originally I would shoot in both but only edit and upload my JPEG files because the color was so much better, but that I hear is pretty easily recoverable. I know about as much about post processing as I do about photography, so take it with a grain of salt

As far as PS action go, I keep meaning to download a few. They'd save me so much time!! I downloaded a set of black/white actions that I really like but now I can't remember where they're from.

Also, thanks for the words of encouragement on the 52 weeks on Flickr!! I stalk the page (and of course, Amanda and Katielou's threads) regularly and the photos are so incredible. I think this challenge on Chaz will keep me busy, but once I am comfortable with my photography and using my camera, I'd really like to join. So probably next year?
Old 12-25-2012, 11:17 PM
Top Dog

I have Pioneer Woman action sets...love the 'boost' one.
http://thepioneerwoman.com/photography/2008/04/actions/

I just got a new laptop...going to try to do photoshop tomorrow...ugh I'm scared to lose it.

Old 12-26-2012, 10:38 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazedACD View Post
I have Pioneer Woman action sets...love the 'boost' one.
http://thepioneerwoman.com/photography/2008/04/actions/

I just got a new laptop...going to try to do photoshop tomorrow...ugh I'm scared to lose it.
The link to download those didn't work for me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Equinox View Post
Also, thanks for the words of encouragement on the 52 weeks on Flickr!! I stalk the page (and of course, Amanda and Katielou's threads) regularly and the photos are so incredible. I think this challenge on Chaz will keep me busy, but once I am comfortable with my photography and using my camera, I'd really like to join. So probably next year?
If I do ok with it this year, I am going to do Limit next year. I'd also like to do the cat one but I will for sure miss the first few months since ours aren't coming home until Feb-April.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdrianneIsabel View Post
You import them the same way as jpegs but you can edit so much more, you'll be thrilled. you'll need to save/export as jpegs for uploading purposes though.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kady05 View Post
Yup, just shoot RAW. So much easier to tweak with those over JPEGs.
Ok, switching to RAW

Any other settings anyone would recommend I start off changing? I am reading a TON online but would love tips from those that shoot a lot of pet photography since that is primarily what I do.
Old 12-26-2012, 11:06 AM
Chihuahua Power!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FG167 View Post
...help please? How did you start? I loved my preset settings on my D5000 (like the "sport" mode was my fave), but since I have bought a D7000, I am not as pleased with my pictures. I think this is because the settings aren't suiting what I like anymore I don't know how to even begin shooting manual. I did bring my manual for my camera - is this sufficient to start with or is there a book or a certain something I should work on (like a certain lighting situation etc). My photography friends are in MI, I don't have any friends in TN so no one to hands-on show me what to do...
From the moment I opened up my first DSLR (Nikon D40), I didn't allow myself to shoot in auto. I've only ever shot in manual, which has forced me to learn a ton from the very beginning.

I haven't read this whole thread, but when I have some time later I'll post up some things that have really helped me.

L to R: Chloe, Rylie, Emma, Tucker, and Rory
My Blog- Chihuahuas are not Sheep
Old 12-26-2012, 11:10 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Jessie~ View Post
From the moment I opened up my first DSLR (Nikon D40), I didn't allow myself to shoot in auto. I've only ever shot in manual, which has forced me to learn a ton from the very beginning.

I haven't read this whole thread, but when I have some time later I'll post up some things that have really helped me.
That would be wonderful. I read an article that suggested everyone try shooting with P instead of M to start. Many other articles suggesting trying the A or S settings instead. But, I don't know how to do anything at all in manual so I was almost thinking straight M would be best so I would have to learn it all. I just do NOT know what I am doing! LOL
Old 12-26-2012, 11:38 AM
Top Dog

My last P&S had a lot of manual setting options, so I'd been used to using (and preferred) using manual mode before I got a DSLR. The very, very few times I've used an auto setting (if I just needed a quick pic with no time to fiddle) I'm never very pleased with it
Old 12-26-2012, 11:40 AM
Glutton for Crazy

Naw, dive in girl.
Chili Brigades Brover 5/23/14 -

Arnold CGC TDI FD 6/29/04 - 07/05/13
Backup CGC HIC CD SRD SJ-N RATI 12/29/09 - 07/05/13

You were amazing, we did amazing things.

Harmony Canine, relationship based training.