Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Dog Breeds

Old 12-23-2012, 12:42 PM
Top Dog

My first thought was an aussie....I know most working-bred ones have a good protective instinct.

http://www.adorablebeasts.blogspot.com
Old 12-23-2012, 12:51 PM
Top Dog

This is the breeder I will get a puppy from when/if I get another GSD:

http://www.vomhausweinbrand.com/

Awesome, versatile, sound, intense workers but great family dogs too. All the breeding dogs are house dogs, worked/titled and just really what I picture a good GSD to be. Puppies from this breeder have gone to be police dogs, SchH dogs, service dogs (a couple for autistic children), performance/obedience dogs and pets.

The right German showline could work for you too. Jora was German showlines and was very much what I consider to be an ideal GSD. I would now go for working lines, likely West German or a combination of working/show because I think it'd be easier to find what I want in those lines. I also just don't prefer the structure or look of many of the modern German Showlines. I'd have to find another one built like Jora - not heavy boned, only a slight roach back and even though it shouldn't matter the head/expression have to be right for me. It is really important to me that they have the classic, characteristic intelligent GSD expression and I see a lot of GSDs from all different lines that just...don't. That isn't to say that the heads/expressions I dislike aren't perfect or beautiful to other people. Same with the heavy boned dogs or the dogs with excessive roach backs. There's a lot of room in GSDs for personal preferences

I personally have been less impressed with the DDR line dogs I've been around. I think it's important that if you decide to get a GSD, you try to get out and see as many different lines/breeder's dogs as possible. It's fine and good to get other's opinions on what the "best breeder/lines would be" and how such and such a line is or isn't but it's important to see for yourself what the dogs are like to make a choice about what would be best for you.

One potential hang up I guess is that GSDs are as a breed, regardless of lines prone to same sex dog aggression with household dogs. You mention your BC was harassed by your dogs. I'd say that is very unlikely to happen with a GSD but unless all of your dogs are male or all female and you can get an opposite sex GSD, there is always potential for the GSD to mature into a dog who has to be separated from other same sex dogs.
Old 12-23-2012, 11:32 PM
Puppy Dog

Milos mommy, i considered them... but i wasn't sure about protectiveness and ability to live with amstafs. These guys are like bulls in a china shop. Full contact family! lol

Thank you Nikki! I do worry about DA, but only because i have these amstafs. I'd like my "good" breed to be sorta what the bulls lack. i've been really missing my Border collie the past few days. i think mainly because he really was such an amazing partner in training and sports. He tried so hard to make me happy, even when he was uncomfortable (such as climbing the agility equipment, which is why we never did agility.) But these bulls were just too rowdy for him. They didn't pick on him, they actually tried a few times to soothe and comfort him. But 50lbs of muscle climbing on you, kissing you and trying to snuggle you isn't everyone's idea of comfort lol He's much happier with my bff's pit bull who isn't so "full contact" with love, affection and play.

My BC was my only dog as an adult that i had to rehome. He is much much happier now, but it's still hard on me at times. I really love him and miss him. And i want to make sure my next "good" dog will be happy in my pack and be a good fit. Because as much as i've tried to get away from these amstafs, they have my heart and i'll always have a few!

Thanks to everyone for their input. i really appreciate it!
Old 12-23-2012, 11:46 PM
Professional Nerd

You want Stan! Except that Stan is not protective :O
Old 12-23-2012, 11:54 PM
Puppy Dog

ha ha ha, i DO want Stan. AND Sloan!

But what if i end up with a Harry or Backup! :-o
Old 12-24-2012, 12:02 AM
Glutton for Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by staffanatic View Post
ha ha ha, i DO want Stan. AND Sloan!

But what if i end up with a Harry or Backup! :-o
A very, very reasonable concern. lol
Chili Brigades Brover 5/23/14 -

Arnold CGC TDI FD 6/29/04 - 07/05/13
Backup CGC HIC CD SRD SJ-N RATI 12/29/09 - 07/05/13

You were amazing, we did amazing things.

Harmony Canine, relationship based training.
Old 12-24-2012, 12:07 AM
Top Dog

Aussies can be pretty boisterous players, actually, so that might be a good choice.
Old 12-24-2012, 09:42 AM
Owned by Belgians

I would say a Belgian Tervuren. My Belgians practically trained themselves. My Dutch is a lot more work,but we are getting there. The article says high energy, but the ones I see all the time at training classes and friend's homes are not what I would call high energy. No more than a GSD. And nothing like a Malinois!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Belgian..._Dog_(Tervuren)

Or the black dog if you are particial to black, but I've seen better temperaments in the Tervs I've met.
Old 12-24-2012, 10:09 AM
Top Dog

My friend's aussie, who's a little stockier and way less aloof than most working bred aussies (she's from show/pet lines) is REALLY boisterous and way too much for a lot of other dogs. She gets along best with some rowdy pit bulls and shepherd mixes we know.

BCs are sheepdogs, and can be a lot softer than aussies in my limited experience. Aussies are cattledogs. In general, I think cattle dogs run a lot hardier and tougher than sheep dogs. Zoom's aussie Sawyer is described very similar (if not exactly the same) as what you're looking for, I think.

http://www.adorablebeasts.blogspot.com
Old 12-24-2012, 10:25 AM
Top Dog

That's been my border collies, the boys anyway. Level headed but with some goofy, nothing major (if Ticket doesn't have something to do he just herds the cat/fish). He is protective as far as people coming to the door, sounds tough, but then switches to goofball wigglebutt the second I tell him it's fine. But I don't know that it's a common border collie thing with every line.