Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Training Forum

Old 01-25-2005, 05:00 PM
DILLIGAF?

The problem with the dog that I am fostering right now has a barking problem. He will bark at anything and has started to nip at me. Do you think a muzzle would work better for barking than an e-collar and what if you give commands with the shock? I have had one of those choke chain brusis before to and every body in wally world was giving me those looks to, so I know how you feel there.

Last edited by scob89; 01-25-2005 at 05:26 PM.
Old 01-25-2005, 07:36 PM
Allison&Ginger

Hey, creatureteacher, i'm a very young trainer, but, i've watched dog training shows, serfed the web and read many dog training books. i'd love to make my life filled with dogs by becoming a dog trainer but, i've feel as though i've been pulled to become a vet. so, in retrospect, i've trained my two dogs (more one than the other) and am very active in 4-H. this is my fourth or fifth year in dog obedience, i'm only 14 and have my very own dog training philosophy! do you have any tips to push my Ginger over the edge in training to bump that fourth place in novice i got at state to a second, third, and FIRST! lol, i'm not really all about winning, i just want to know how far my beautiful dog can go.

alllison

"A dog will never forget the crumb thoust gavest him, though thou mayst afterwards throw a hundred stones at his head." -Sa'Di-

"If a dog will not come to you after he has looked you in the face, you should go home and examine your conscience." -Woodrow Wilson-

"My dog is half pit bull , half poodle. Not much of a watchdog, but a vicious gossip." -Craig Shoemaker-
Old 01-25-2005, 08:42 PM
Top Dog

What kind of dog is he, scob89? And you say you're fostering him; was he in the humane society? Why are you fostering him (was he sick, too young, etc.)? When does he nip? How big is he? Explain your situation to me a little and I'll be happy to help you out.
Old 01-25-2005, 08:46 PM
Top Dog

Good luck with your training, Allison. And good luck in vet school, too!

The only advice I have is don't push your dog farther than she wants to go. I have ethical problems with competition so I don't train for it. I've known people that have damaged their relationship with their pooch trying to get that extra "oomph" in competition. But I also know dogs and dog moms who love to compete together, each of them respecting the other's feelings. So just listen to Ginger. She'll tell you what to do!
Old 01-25-2005, 10:52 PM
Big Dog

Hello, Creature Teacher! It's nice to meet another very knowledgeable person I can look up to as a first-time pet owner! Our "baby" is a two year-old Chihuahua named Chili. She's the sweetest little thing! Welcome and nice to meet you!
Old 01-26-2005, 06:56 PM
Top Dog

Chili is adorable! I love the picture of her with Santa.

Thanks for the kind words. It's great to be in the virtual company of so many dog people!
Old 01-27-2005, 12:22 AM
Top Dog

A belated welcome Creature Teacher. What a cute name! I think you're going to be a great help...so glad you've joined.
Old 01-27-2005, 07:44 PM
Top Dog

Thank you! I quite like the name "Doberluv". (Dobies have always been my favorite. But shh, don't tell anyone!)
Old 02-01-2005, 01:17 PM
Allison&Ginger

Your website is pretty cool, Emma (?Mrs. Lee?) The training "program" so to speak we had at 4-H, no offense to the trainers we've had, aren't exactly, well, you know. lol. they're volunteers so, i'd better not say more, it's a good help for those starting out though. Lol. Allison

"A dog will never forget the crumb thoust gavest him, though thou mayst afterwards throw a hundred stones at his head." -Sa'Di-

"If a dog will not come to you after he has looked you in the face, you should go home and examine your conscience." -Woodrow Wilson-

"My dog is half pit bull , half poodle. Not much of a watchdog, but a vicious gossip." -Craig Shoemaker-
Old 02-01-2005, 03:01 PM
Puppy Dog

ok, i gots a guestion. how do your get a puppy to stop biting? we have a Shih Tzu, male, named Toby. he's about 3 months old now and he's been nipping at us for awhile. he dosen't nip at me so much anymore, but he likes to bite my wifes toes, and nip at our neice (she's 2) when she plays with him. he also likes to bite the cat in his rear, under his tail. the cat outweights him and probably always will. he weighs 19 lbs. and stands 14" tall at his back. Toby weights about 6 lbs. the cat will play with him and hold him down. sometimes he'll bite his neck, but thats only after he's pretty fed up with Toby.

any help you could give would be greatly apperciated.