Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 01-23-2005, 02:27 PM
Felurian

Good words, Greentiger; and you are speaking from a country that originated the idea of hospice.

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

There are few things more nauseating than pure obedience. ~ Kvothe

***8206;"silence is the language of god, all else is poor translation."
Rumi
Be a god. Know when to shut up.

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 01-26-2005, 06:59 PM
pointer/labrador/terrier

That is just awful..if it were me I would want my dog more than anything..there has to be a way....hospice should do better than that. When Jim's cancer went to his brain I called the family desperate for help. I had done the whole year of care, but he was 6 2 and a whole lot heavier than me..I managed to get him to the hospital and how we got down the stairs is still a miracle. After he was checked in, I went home to collect myself....this is when all his grown selfish "children"showed up like a flock of vultures. He told me on the way there not to let Julie in because he did'tn trust her but since we weren't married there wasn't anything I could do. SHe had me banned from the hospital the minute she got there. They were afraid I would "talk" dad out of his money. After he was moved to the nursing home (i have a cna and an emt and could have kept him home and comfortable with the help of a nurse) they said I could only visit once (this is after being with this man for 12 years and never seeing them except at Christmas to collect their money) anyway I snuck in...to say goodbye. I don't think he knew who I was by that time, or maybe he did,,,I will never know for he had stopped talking when they all showed up. I went right past the desk...wallked in the room..told him I loved him and I would see him in the future.....that was the last time I saw him until the funeral. They did'nt even call me to say they had cremated him....I wish u could sneak the dog in, but I suppose that is impossible. I would really try to appeal the decision. She deserves to be surrounded by what she loves, I am so sorry...I am glad that she has u there to care about what she needs for her mind as well as her body. U are a good person!
Old 02-25-2005, 09:40 PM
Lab Lubber

Thanks to all for your comments and kindness. I haven't been back on the forums since it's taken me a while to get my house back in order after taking care of her for so long. My grandmother is now staying with her daughter and her dog is with her. She's much happier now that she can see him. It's a bit bittersweet though, because her husband is now living alone, and he loved Spike very much as well, so now he's terribly lonely.

We go visit him often though and cook for him and today we played Play Dough with my two little girls... so it was fun.

Anyway, I just wanted to say thanks again and let you all know how much I have appreciated each of your comments.
Old 02-25-2005, 09:45 PM
Felurian

That is good that she's able to stay with her daughter and have Spike with her. Does anyone take her husband to visit her regularly? This is a sad time for all of you, but you will be able to look back and have no regrets because you all took care of her and those she loved.

Check in with us when you have a chance and let us know how you are all faring. Our hearts go with you, Tina.

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

There are few things more nauseating than pure obedience. ~ Kvothe

***8206;"silence is the language of god, all else is poor translation."
Rumi
Be a god. Know when to shut up.

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 02-26-2005, 12:18 AM
Lab Lubber

You are always so sweet and thoughtful, Renee. Yes, my husband takes his grandpa to visit her every few days, at the very least once a week.

They never got along well and she doesn't recognize people half the time anyway, so niether of them seem to need more of each other... they just need company of any sort.

So we try to spend as much time as we can with them and hope that they each are comforted by knowing that we do love them both very much.
Old 02-26-2005, 09:24 AM
Don't encourage me..

I really feel for you Tina!! My favourite Uncle died of emphysema last year and I know how hard it is! one day they are up and the next day really really down!! I'm glad your Grandma and Spike have been reunited, that can only be a positive thing! And remember that you need support too, we tend to forget ourselves when we are being strong for everyone else!

The man who smiles when things go wrong has thought of someone to blame it on. - Robert Bloch

Old 02-26-2005, 02:47 PM
Lab Lubber

You are right, Gustav! Thanks! I do love this board, it's a great place. There are such nice people here.
Old 02-27-2005, 02:45 PM
Wolfpack

So sorry Tina...I don't know what to say. Old age is such a bad thing...