Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 01-21-2005, 04:23 PM
Island dweller

Thanks Renee and everyone else. I really appreciate the support and advice. I feel like a failure right now. I'm such a big believer in neutering and I haven't been able to do it until Jan. 26. I'll let you know what happens
Old 01-21-2005, 05:11 PM
Puppy Dog

hugs to you saje...i can only imagine how you feel, i would be the same, and as said b4 dogs will be dogs..not matter what the breed....

i will keep you and mikey in my thoughts....
Old 01-21-2005, 05:33 PM
treehugging clicker freak

We all understand, lets just hope that the other owner will. Its a tough situation, my thoughts and prayers will be with you and Mikey.
Was the other dog outside, unatended/unleashed as well? In that case both parties would be responsible. I know you feel horrible and think you should've gotten him nutered, but remember that the other dogs should have been too! In my opinion this can not be blamed entirely on you and Mikey; it takes two to fight! Hopefully being a mix will come to Mikey's advantage now.
I don't think you should pay or offer to pay anything until you come to a mutual (written) agreement with the other owner. And even then, don't pay until you talk to the other vet and make sure that the bill is right, because I've known some owners to exagerate a bit on that. I could be wrong; just my thoughts. Good Luck, and keep us posted!
Old 01-21-2005, 05:45 PM
Island dweller

Thanks! Brattina I have thought it through and I agree with you completely. I will definitely make sure to get everything in writing to cover all my bases.

Thanks everyone.

I think I mentioned it but Mikey is getting neutered on Jan. 26 and I'm so thrilled about that. I think a lot of his "problems" are because of that. Maybe he'll get fat and lazy! Ha ha ha. Joking.
Old 01-21-2005, 06:37 PM
Top Dog

You really need to pay their bill. I don't know what the insurance rules are where you live, but in my area if you have a dog that might be agressive on your property they will not insure you. If ,because your landlord has such a dog on her property, she loses her home insurance, you could be in deep do-do. I'd do everything I could at this point to avoid a lawsuit. So sorry this happened, I know you're upset.
Old 01-21-2005, 06:40 PM
Island dweller

Thanks, bubbatd. I'm probably going to pay half. It is just as much her fault as mine as mentioned above.
Old 01-21-2005, 06:56 PM
Top Dog

That's great if she agrees with you and doesn't bring in her own doctor's fee. Fill that wine glass and relax !!
Old 01-21-2005, 07:06 PM
Island dweller

Doesn't matter if she agrees with me. We both had unneutered dogs, running loose on their own property and we both knew that the dogs didn't get along. Equal responsibility. People don't sue as much in Canada as they do in the states although they are starting too. And we all have health care.

But thanks those are good points.

I will have a beer and go to the movies tonight I think but I'm still working.
Old 01-21-2005, 07:57 PM
Top Dog

I can fully understand what you are feeling. Hopefully her dog will make a complete recovery & she'll be willing to come to a mutually agreeable settlement with you. Since it is her property I personally think the vet bill should be paid by you even tho her dog was also out there alone. I also want to mention that altho Mikey is being neutered this may not solve the problem and even if he seems better with other dogs afterwards I definitely wouldn't trust him with her dog again - they have had one fight and both of them will remember it in my opinion.

We'll keep all our fingers, toes & paws in our house crossed, sending good vibes your way for this to work out well for all of you.
Old 01-21-2005, 08:27 PM
Felurian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbatd
You really need to pay their bill. I don't know what the insurance rules are where you live, but in my area if you have a dog that might be agressive on your property they will not insure you. If ,because your landlord has such a dog on her property, she loses her home insurance, you could be in deep do-do. I'd do everything I could at this point to avoid a lawsuit. So sorry this happened, I know you're upset.
Good point. Double-edged as well. The landlord's dog is also aggressive. The landlord may be "hoist on her own petard" by reporting this and may need to do some backpedalling to keep it from making its way to insurance . . .

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

There are few things more nauseating than pure obedience. ~ Kvothe

***8206;"silence is the language of god, all else is poor translation."
Rumi
Be a god. Know when to shut up.

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian