Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog and Pet Fun > Cat and Pet Forum

Old 12-18-2012, 09:49 PM
"I'm kupo for kupo nuts!"

Unhappy Vibes for Dameon

For a few months now Dameon has had some loose stool issues...four days ago they became completely liquid stools that were foul smelling. Now he isn't eating, is drinking more than normal, not taking his meds (which he loves), teeth grinding, is very lethargic, and has lost almost a pound in four days. Just trying to get the Pred and metronidazol down his throat is causing him to gag and vomit.

Took him to the vet today, we sent out bloodwork, results will be in tomorrow. Right now the prognosis isn't very good. His blood glucose is where is should be, which means the pred is working for his Insulinoma...so we're thinking either lymphoma, cushings, or some kind of cancer in his intestines.

Vibes for my boy would be much appreciated. He'll be seven the 6th of January...but I'm not ready to let him go yet.

Old 12-18-2012, 09:54 PM
Very Food Agressive

Aww poor guy, hope he feels better for the holidays <3

Practice what you preach or keep your mouth shut.
Old 12-18-2012, 10:09 PM
Ball Thrower

Aw, poor baby! Hope he feels better soon.
Old 12-18-2012, 10:52 PM
Love My Mutt <3

Hm... cancer wouldn't really cause foul-smelling poop. Also, if there was a tumour in his stomach, for it to be that bad, you would feel it, you wouldn't need blood work -- his tummy would be rock hard.

Honestly, that all screams an ulcer to me. Not eating because of pain while eating, so lethargic because he's not eating. Teeth grinding is, again, a sign of pain. We're dealing with a possible atypical ulcer right now with Nacho -- he doesn't have diarrhea but all the other signs fit.

As far as the weight loss, I can see it. He's an older ferret, not eating for a few days will do that.

Personally, I'd do duck soup (with pumpkin) every few hours, syringe feed if necessary, and then Metro/Pepto 3X day and Amoxil 2X day for 21 days.

Ferret's don't get Cushings. They get Adrenal, which wouldn't be showing symptoms since he's being treated for Insulinoma.

Lots of <<<<<<vibes>>>>>> for the little guy!

Goodbye, Rosey. You were the best girl I could have asked for. 10/15/96-03/08/13
Old 12-19-2012, 06:40 AM
Top Dog

****vibes**** and (((hugs))) for you. I hope you guys can figure out what's going on and that it's easily treatable!

I have a blog!! TeamShortLegs - Last updated 10/13/2013
Old 12-19-2012, 12:29 PM
♥Chloe & Violet♥

(((Hugs))) I hope he's okay!

Chloe - 8 y/o Dachshund/Chihuahua | Violet - 2 y/o Siberian Husky
Rest in peace - Holly (Siberian Husky)|Misty (Siberian Husky)|Princess (Silky Terrier)
Forever in my heart - Dixie (Yorkshire Terrier)|Lucy (Silky Terrier/Yorkie Mix)
Old 12-19-2012, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JessLough View Post
Personally, I'd do duck soup (with pumpkin) every few hours, syringe feed if necessary, and then Metro/Pepto 3X day and Amoxil 2X day for 21 days.
Yah, that is basically the course we've decided on. Right now the issue is getting him to eat. He won't touch anything, including Ferretone. Forcing the meds down his throat sends him into a heaving spell and then he just sits there and acts like he's having a mini seizure spell (blank stare, drooling, uncoordination). I hate doing that to him, but he HAS to have the meds.

He's also started teeth grinding after drinking, so I know he's painful for that as well and he definitely needs to keep on drinking. He was a tad bit dehydrated (nothing major) and that was after his drinking habits increased...can't imagine what will happen if he stops drinking all together.

Bloodwork was inconclusive. Some weird values that corresponded to his diarrhea, and his leukocytes were also out of wack (although I'm almost thinking the vet said they were really, really low, not too high). All his major organs are functioning normally.

Old 12-19-2012, 07:07 PM
Love My Mutt <3

Glad his blood work came back inconclusive! Means its likely nothing major, really I'm really leaning towards its an ulcer then... good news is it likely didn't rupture or the blood work would show that.

Goodbye, Rosey. You were the best girl I could have asked for. 10/15/96-03/08/13
Old 12-20-2012, 06:25 PM

Well, he was worse this morning. Major teeth grinding even when just laying down, and he didn't want to get up at all. Still not eating, and when I offered him his treats he acted barely interested. He wouldn't even eat his super special awesome favorite thing ever (cereal). I don't know if he's drinking anymore, either.

I'm hoping I will see an improvement when I get home from work tonight now that there has been time for the meds to kick in...but I just don't know.

Old 12-21-2012, 06:30 AM
Love my pets

How is he doing?