Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Dog Breeds

Old 03-09-2006, 11:03 PM
rottiegirl

Chihuahuas have to be on your lap at all times, lol. They love to snuggle. They can be aggressive with other dogs. Mine is a little aggressive with other people.

My rottie/dobe mix was very sweet, and she just loved digging holes in the yard. She had to have something to do while she was awake. She loved playing with other dogs. She didnt fear other dogs at all, no matter how big they were. She had a "no fear" attitude at a young age.
Old 03-09-2006, 11:11 PM
Twin 2.0

I love the energy, the Velcro-ness, and the coat of Aussies. Many people think they're hyper, too attatched shedding machines.

So far though, everyone loves just about everything about my rottie mix, except those who don't like rotties. Her bark and super-focused attention on other dogs tends to freak people out.
Old 03-09-2006, 11:37 PM
Training the Trainer

Ooooh am I gonna open a can of worms here!!

I have Australian Labradoodles. These dogs are considered a breed in their own right and there is a breed profile. (see http://www.dogbreedinfo.com/LAABreedStandard2004.pdf)

With all the other poodle mixes I tend to the same opinion as many here - that they are designer dogs without a breed-specific purpose, but Labradoodles were bred for a reason, with specific aims in mind. Those aims may not have always been successful (ie not shedding) but it was the initial purpose of the cross to create a better breed, and that's why I am accepting of it.

Any old Lab and Poodle mix is NOT a Labradoodle. My babies are fourth generation offspring of Labradoodle parents. I also see a difference there, too.

Ok OFF my soap box now.

What do I love about the breed? They are SO intelligent, they are SO loyal, mine do not shed and need no grooming or clipping.

But mostly, I love their joy. They are the most joyous and joyful dogs I have ever had the pleasure to know and love, and they light up our lives and make them better just by being there.

Others may find their forthright in-your-face friendliness irritating, but we have not come across it. Everyone who meets our darlings loves them instantly! To me, it is a wonderful mix with a wonderful result.

Long live the Labradoodle!!!

We give dogs time we can spare, space we can spare, and love we can spare. In return they give us their all. It is the best deal man has ever made

Last edited by Rubylove; 03-09-2006 at 11:51 PM.
Old 03-10-2006, 09:22 AM
Happy

I love the exuberance of the collies and terriers, which apparently is exactly what drive some people insane. My favorite thing about all my dogs - who tend to be hairy terrier and collie types (a Beardie, a terrier/husky and a Border/Beardie) - is their joyfulness. They're so alive, all bounce and energy and interest and alertness. Yet some strange people prefer dull dogs who they call 'stately' or 'impressive.' You can take your stately Great Danes, your impressive Mastiffs and your majestic German Shorthaired Pointers, and stock an estate with them. Or you can buy some concrete statues, which will have the same effect.
Old 03-10-2006, 10:55 AM
F150 and a .30-06

Ruby - Im not even going to comment. I have strong fealings about it, but I dont want o start a fight.

Beagle - Fun loving, Most people wouldnt like the fact of how much they shed, or their stuborn nature.

Sakkara's And Then There's Emma - My heart. My Soul. My Co-Pilot. Feb 26 2005 - Oct 22 2009
Can Ch Liberty's Surfer Girl TT - You will always be with me
Phil Ch Groundsniffin Secret Solo - National Specialty Winners Bitch, Multi Best Opposite In Show
Old 03-10-2006, 11:30 AM
Top Dog

Who doesn't love a Golden ? BTW... glad this thread title wasn't reversed !!

http://mauzysmusings.blogspot.com/
Old 03-10-2006, 11:46 AM
:( only one :(

~The great poodle~

I think with my *heart* breed lots of what people dislike about the breed is more of a misconception of it rather then what they are. Also that so many are improperly bred which gives the good ones a bad rap. And from that you get people think that the poodle are a froo froo or yippy dog. Which I can attest they are not.

The one thing that I know is true with them is that they need lots of grooming. Some people are turned off by it but for me it's a joy. I find it a wonderful bonding time between them and I. They also love attention and youíll often see some as velcro dogs. Iíll love it!
Old 03-10-2006, 12:18 PM
Big Dog

What do I love about my breed (GSD's) that others may dislike?

I love the tests and challenges they can present.

If today I can be considered an accomplished trainer and worthy pack leader it is because of the lessons I was taught by this wonderful breed.

Training-Most people have the misconception that because they are intelligent they are very easy to train. Ever try to get a GSD to obey you that does not think you are a worthy leader? You can almost see them rolling their eyes at you.

Leadership- GSD's teach you how to be alpha of the pack...Being alpha is not about force or dominance, its about having and being worthy of respect. You can't force or demand your GSD to respect you, it won't work. You have to earn their respect by proving yourself a capable and worthy leader.
Old 03-10-2006, 12:19 PM
Shiba Inu Slave

HEHEHEHEHE- with Shibas it's almost everything!

They're incredibly smart animals, but incredibly stubborn as well. For the average person, they are no one's idea of a picnic to train. With most dogs, you say "sit," and they say "okay." With Shibas, you say "sit" and they say "why?" or "what's in it for me." This temperament has gotten me into many an argument in which I've had to "prove" to people that my dogs aren't dumb, they're manipulative...and currently they're manipulating YOU into thinking that they don't know how to sit, shake, lie down, high five, jump, etc. until you feed them. The look on people's faces when they've realized they've just been one-upped by my dogs is priceless.

The other thing- most Shibas are anti-velcro dogs. They'll be genuinely excited to see you when you get home, and maybe you'll get a tail-wag (if you're worthy), but don't expect hours of cuddling on the couch, or a dog that needs to be with you 24/7. Most HATE sitting on laps, abhor being fondled over, and just generally prefer to do everything on their own terms. This is actually what's getting the breed into a great deal of trouble as their popularity increases. Now that we're seeing Shibas in pet shops, we're seeing people buying them on impulse- for their cute looks. Yeah...the puppies are cute alright, but now you've just opened your home to a breed that has over 6000 years of history in which it was regularly eviscerating wild boar, and hunting bears. You thought he was a lap dog? Hrmmmm....that's too bad, but may I suggest you begin puppy kindergarten?
Old 03-10-2006, 12:52 PM
but please call me Aus.

I love Australian Cattle Dogs because...

*they are highly intelligent (I like dogs that are easily trained)
*excel at agility (a sport I really want to get into)
*they are protective (i love the feeling of being safe!)
*energetic (because i love going for long walks and to parks and beaches to play with my dog)
*dependant on people (ACD's love car rides, and they want to go everywhere with you, which is great because I love taking my dog everywhere with me!!)
*They are medium size (perfect size for travelling, not too big or small)
*And a bonus is their gorgeous looks!!

Why some people my not love them so much...

*if they are a couch potatoe! (ACDs need lots of exercise)
*no time to train (ACDs need mental exercise as much as physical!)
*you are away for long periods of time (ACDs love to be with their owner!)
*first dog owner (ACDs are for novice trainers, they can be stubborn and hard-headed)

Well thats all I can think of for now!