What is it about your breed that you love but others might dislike

anna84

Ok so every breed has good and bad points. What i always found funny was that the reason one person loves a breed maybe the same reason it isn't suitable for a lot of other people. So whats a characteristic about your favorite breed that you love but might make it unsuitable for other people. Be honest:)

Aussies- love their energy and intelligence and the fact their one man dogs, others might call them too active and dislike the fact that their not to friendly with strangers

I love terriers but probably will never own one their just to independent for my taste. And because i'm so active i don't see a toy breed in my future but hey you never know =)

okpik

Doggy Daddy
WAAAAYYYY too friendly
They bark, it's their job but at 4-5am SHHH. I have met all of the night crew at the local police station.

Gempress

Walks into Mordor
Blackmouth cur- their silence. They're actually bred to be silent hunters, so it takes a lot to get them to start barking. Zeus does not bark, not even to go outside. It makes him great for our townhouse in suburbia, but horrible as a watchdog. I don't like a barking dog, but even *I* sometimes wish he'd bark a little more.

Golden retreiver- That beautiful, flowing golden coat. But it ends up all over your rug, your couch, your clothes, your car, your food....you get the idea.

Labradors ~ Are extremely sweet and gentle, and love almost everybody. Shed like crazy!

Jack Russells ~ Tend to be barky, stubborn, independent, and at times, snappy.

Canaan Dogs ~ Are very protective and wary of strangers, a bit barky.

Border Collies ~ Need a lot of exercise and can become destructive if they do not get physical and mental stimulation (thankfully my girl just gets mad at me and follows me around making noises to let me know she's upset).

German Shepherds ~ Protective and wary of strangers.

Muttlies3

Pit Bull ~ I love them for their beauty, strength, and most of all because I usually go for the underdog. Some (idiots) dislike them because of their bad reputation.

Great Dane ~ Goofiness, size, Loving personailities. Some don't like size, drool, etc.

And, although not a breed... MUTTS, shelter dogs, rescues. A lot of people have the misconception that just because the dog isn't papered, pure bred, comes from a shelter, etc.. that it's useless. Again, going for the underdog here. I love how they are so unique.. it is rare to find mutts that look alike. I love trying to guess breeds of mutts and seeing different breed characteristics in them. :) They are my favorite "breed."

Amstaffer

Amstaffs --- Their head, I think they are beautiful and sweet looking. Some people I know think that all bully breeds are ugly. :rolleyes:

EliNHunter

I agree that mutts are the best. They have a mixed background and it seems the best always comes out! And they're not as prone to the diseases their purebred heirs will get or have. I'm leaning towards a mutt on this one...

RD

Are you dead yet?
To most pet owners, Border Collies tend to be a "love 'em or hate 'em" breed. Most people who like working dogs can appreciate the BC even if they wouldn't own one. They are very quirky though, and I've found quite a few of their traits that annoy people.

-Their energy and enthusiasm. They put 100% into everything they do (this is great when you're doing agility or herding, but not so lovely when they decide they want to scratch at the door to get in)

-Their speed. BCs don't walk, they jog or sprint. This often applies indoors when they are young, so make sure to nail everything to the floor. :rolleyes:

-Their intensity. They are intimidating on occasion. People who don't like having staring contests or being watched will most likely be annoyed by a Border. If they only like throwing a tennis ball once, or playing tug for a few seconds, a BC will annoy them.

-Their sense of humor -- it's twisted! My pup absolutely ADORES startling one friend of mine, who thankfully is a dog person and gets a kick out of it (he actually encourages it more than I'd like, but so far Dakota only does it to him).
If both of them are on the floor (they usually are because my friend is in front of my TV quite often) Dakota will sneak around Dmitry and sit there silently until Dmitry relaxes and puts the dog out of his mind. As soon as he resumes doing whatever he was up to, Dakota pounces on him and puts an ice-cold nose right in Dmitry's ear. He does the funniest little butt-wiggle before he jumps him, and after he's successfully startled him and slimed in his ear, he backs off and just positively grins. I swear he's laughing.

Anywho.. Just about anything about the BC could be disliked by some. They're perfect for me but they're fast, hairy, mischevious, manipulating little monsters and not everyone can appreciate them.

Papillon: Most people love Ripley. The only thing that some people aren't wild about is that he's not especially friendly with strangers, but he warms up quickly. I don't have a ton of experience with the breed outside of my own dog, but my biggest issue with the Ripster is that despite my efforts, it's been 2 years and he's still not reliably house trained.

jess2416

Who woulda thought
Well I am going to have to say Mutt :D that's the only kind of dogs that I have ever had.
I also like the fact that I have a unique (sp) dog and she is very special and I like everything about her (except the occasional (sp) howling :D )

T

tessa_s212

Cockers-their bubbly, extremely stranger friendly personality. Some people don't like this.

-their bueatiful long thick coats. I'll admit they can be a pain to care for, but I love the finished product whenever I groom my dogs. Nothing prettier than a groomed cocker.

-they can be quite the ditz. They are not your average border collie. They will mess up no matter what. They will get their butt wiggling so much that they wiggle out of position. They will go visit someone outside a ring(particularly if it is a child! I have found most cockers love children!). They will make mistakes even years after training, but those mistakes are a blast to watch at laugh at. People that are used to more exact, driven to do the job type of dogs may be embarrassed by a goofy cocker, but I am proud to have a goofy cocker. The least I can do is humor the crowd if they are going to be watching!

yoko

i know it's not a breed and that a lot of people have said it already but i love mutts :) i love how when you get then as a puppy you have kind of an idea of how they look but it's a shock to see how they turn out when they're adults!

smkie

pointer/labrador/terrier
hyper hyper hyper Victor is not for the weak of heart, or those that want to be a couch potato. Granted he is turned down about 50 percent in the last year, but this last year goes down in all my history books as the most energy expended on one dog in my lifetime.

Melissa_W

Shelties have to follow you around constantly. If there is any "action" they have to be right in the center of it, so sometimes they can get in the way. And they love to be the center of attention. I like that about them, but I can see how someone else could find it annoying. The barking doesn't bother me, but I know that's the breeds most loathed trait. :eek: :p

Muttlies3

RD said:
Anywho.. Just about anything about the BC could be disliked by some. They're perfect for me but they're fast, hairy, mischevious, manipulating little monsters and not everyone can appreciate them.

I think BC's are great dogs. The only things that I've seen "bad" that comes along with a majority of BC's I know.. their owners. Not meaning anyone on here (Haven't met any here!), but on other boards and in person. A majority of BC owners I've met have been so stuck-up like their breed is the most perfect breed in the world. I've even had someone dead-straight forward say that unless it's a BC, it's not a dog. They were being dead serious.

Silly, I know, but that's the only thing that's strayed me away from the breed.. and participating in flyball or agility. Every club has a large handful, maybe 2 handfuls, of BC owners like that. They wouldn't even let me come and practice with Kiara because they wanted competitors and not someone who just wants to have fun with their dog. Pretty sick if you ask me. :(

I love their energy and willingness to learn.

FoxyWench

Salty Sea Dog
chihuauas: their almost obsessive compulsive NEED to be with you, 24/7, they will follow o your heals and you cant go to the bathroom without them wanting to be in there with you (even the shower curtain has to be left open slightly so they know the shower hasnt devoured me) not because they cant be dependant but because they want to be your everything...and their little cheeky (and stubborn) attitudes, and thier little barks that sound too big for their bodies.
and most of all the fact that they truly think they weigh 600lbs when it comes to protecting you.

however these endeering traits in my eyes are just too much for alot of people, most see chis as nasty little ankle biters who do nothing but yip and nip who can never be trained (the latter part thanks to the enormous number of people byuying chis and beliving because their so small they dont need any kind of obedience training or socilization.

cockers: the long flowing coat and adoration of human beings in general...most dont have the time for the upkeep of the coat and they SUCK as guard dogs lol.

staffy (used to own one will again): their smile, the big stocky head with that huge grin that literally falls off the sides of their face, and their love of everyone (especially kids). people tend to think bullies are ugly or think their all visious dogs and either hate them for it or abuse it in things like dog fighting and protection for drug dealers ect.

danes (again used to own one will again one day): there dopey...plain and simple, they just make you laugh...most people think silly just means stupid...

RD

Are you dead yet?
Muttlies3 said:
I think BC's are great dogs. The only things that I've seen "bad" that comes along with a majority of BC's I know.. their owners. Not meaning anyone on here (Haven't met any here!), but on other boards and in person. A majority of BC owners I've met have been so stuck-up like their breed is the most perfect breed in the world. I've even had someone dead-straight forward say that unless it's a BC, it's not a dog. They were being dead serious.

Silly, I know, but that's the only thing that's strayed me away from the breed.. and participating in flyball or agility. Every club has a large handful, maybe 2 handfuls, of BC owners like that. They wouldn't even let me come and practice with Kiara because they wanted competitors and not someone who just wants to have fun with their dog. Pretty sick if you ask me. :(

I love their energy and willingness to learn.
But.. it is the most perfect breed in the world! ;)
Kidding. :) BC people tend to be that way. We love our breed and there's nothing wrong with devotion, but I do agree that the superiority complex of a lot of people will turn others off to the breed itself.
As far as the attitudes of those in flyball and agility, I've heard a lot about that and I find it sad. Keep looking, there are some great clubs out there that are not terribly judgemental (though you will always find bad eggs) and can appreciate you and your dog, even if you don't compete often.

anna84

yeah it definetely seems that border collies have a devoted following but then i guess you could say that for a lot of breeds. my sister wanted her opinion here. She has a chi and a small mixed breed puppy. In the future she'll prolly own a mini yorkie. She loves how attached the smaller breeds are (in terms of following their owners around) that they don't require as much exercise and are easy to take along wherever she goes. lol i love to play with them but doubt i'd ever own a dog that small when the chi was a pup i lived in fear that i'd accidentally sit on her =)

bgallup

Shiba Inu

Shiba's are part cat, part dog in personality, which means true dog people don't really understand them. :) Bonus! For such little dogs, geez can they blow coat. I could make a second dog out of her undercoat twice a year.

Members online

No members online now.