Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 01-18-2005, 08:22 PM
dog lover!!

Lightbulb Agility...

Hey y'all...lol
I just have a few questions...I have an adorable little black and brown mixed breed terrier, although he has alot of poodle in him...(i think). Anyways...sometime in the near future, I would like to enroll him in agility classes or maybe flyball, and i'd like to know if any of u think that would be a good idea and tell me what you know about agility if u have perhaps gone in it or you are in it with your dog. Any suggestions, tips, ect. would be greatly appreciated!

thanx

*~*"grey ghost"*~*
Old 01-18-2005, 08:56 PM
Top Dog

Farley has had a few intro. agility classes & he loved them. Here's the few things that I have learned. 1st off serious agility training shouldn't be done with puppies as there is alot of jumping which isn't good until they have matured more - your vet can give you more precise info. But you can start with lower jumps done occasionally. Another thing I have learned is that the dog really needs to be able to do obedience work reliably off-lead but until then the preliminary agility training can be done on-lead. Alot of the beginning steps can be done at home improvising. You can use a broom stick laid over a couple of cinder blocks for lower jumps, sheets draped over different things for a "tunnel" effect, a piece of plywood put on 4 cinder blocks for a "stay" table. You can use long dowels or tent poles for weave poles. You can even make simple jumps using PVC pipe and a hula hoop for a ring to jump thru. One of the main things I found was to take it slow getting them used to the different equipment so that they feel comfortable with it. I think this is a great activity for them and I am hoping to have Farley do more of it once he's thru his obedience levels.
Old 01-20-2005, 11:06 PM
dog lover!!

Thankyou very much for your advice and such!

*~*"grey ghost"*~*
Old 06-07-2012, 01:54 PM
Miss Alana

Quote:
Originally Posted by "grey ghost" View Post
Hey y'all...lol
I just have a few questions...I have an adorable little black and brown mixed breed terrier, although he has alot of poodle in him...(i think). Anyways...sometime in the near future, I would like to enroll him in agility classes or maybe flyball, and i'd like to know if any of u think that would be a good idea and tell me what you know about agility if u have perhaps gone in it or you are in it with your dog. Any suggestions, tips, ect. would be greatly appreciated!

thanx

*~*"grey ghost"*~*
Well, my dog Max jumps and trots over things but, it's kind of hard to teach. Eventually they get the routine and agillity that they need.
Old 06-07-2012, 04:43 PM
Mutts to you

Look for an agility trainer in your area - most will offer 'foundation' classes for beginning dogs/young dogs/people that stress learning the obstacles in a safe manner and how to handle (guide) your dog through the obstacles and around a course. There usually isn't any jumping except for maybe bars on the ground and teaching your dog to go through the jump standards when directed (not as easy as it sounds!)

I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but Iím not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant. -Robert McCloskey
Old 06-07-2012, 05:15 PM
Sit! Good dog.

Another OLLLLDDDDD thread.

2005????
"Dogs are our link to paradise. They do not know jealousy or discontent. To sit with a dog on a hillside on a glorious afternoon is to be back in Eden, where doing nothing wasn't boring, it was peace."

Bodhi is the opposite of ignorance, the insight into reality which destroys mental afflictions and brings peace.

Owned by Bodhi Booglaoo and Fredington Holbein