Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Dog Breeds

Old 12-21-2012, 04:43 PM
Top Dog

This might sound a little redundant, but maybe your mom should go to some of the shelters and email rescues, looking for a low key dog. I think temperament will be more important than actual breed. A housebroken, relaxed adult dog would probably suit the bill, and make it easier for stepdad to accept the dog.

I see quite a few nice Golden mixes on Petfinder at various humane societies in AR.

Old 12-21-2012, 04:44 PM
Resident fainting goat

I would visit a rescue. Bring the whole family a long, talk to the rescue coordinators and find the right dog

Disclaimer: I work for Trupanion and love it/our policy! But I do not speak for the company or as the company.
Old 12-21-2012, 05:05 PM
Top Dog

Thanks, guys. I was getting very frustrated that I wasn't able to get my point across. I'm glad I wasn't completely misunderstood.

I *think* the biggest reason my mom was into Goldens was because of their... affinity? for special needs children. My mom herself isn't particularly picky about what type of dogs she likes, so that was why she chose to go with a Golden. I personally don't think they will end up going that route. My brother has been improving. (I don't see them often. Maybe once a month. They live an hour away.)

I have taken both boys to my local shelters and let them play with puppies and dogs and see how they react. I told them they had to listen to me and follow my rules or we would leave. They both did great. The little one is a bit more handsy than I would like, but he's 5. We're working on it with Gwen.

They tend to like medium sized dogs. I agree that the personality of the dog is more important than the breed. It's just hard to judge temperament of a dog when in it's in a shelter environment. I think she wanted to get a puppy because... well who doesn't want to get a puppy? :P

I would not let a dog go into a household where I think it would be abused or neglected. My mom is the kind of person that takes care of animals, regardless of what they are, how they smell, whatever. As a kid she nursed many animals back to health and helped along strays.

It has taken a lot of will power to not take home a puppy for Christmas. I'm not sure if she would hate me forever or hate me first and then fall in love with the dog. I know they would prefer to get a fence before getting the dog, though.

I figure they'll end up with a mutt under 40lbs. Probably a terrier mix. My mom leans towards large dogs. My grandmother is obsessed with Yorkies and insists they would be a great family pet. My uncle has mini poodles and hunting beagles. I have a shelter dog who happens to be a Kelpie. Who knows what they'll end up with?

I appreciate the advice and suggestions.
Old 12-21-2012, 05:12 PM
Top Dog

Goldens often seem to have a special affinity for those with special needs (children and adults), but I see the same qualities in A TON of individual dogs of various breeds. I definitely would recommend they go with an adult dog, or at least an old puppy, though. It doesn't sound like a very good household to bring a young puppy into, especially one from rescue, if they don't have a lot of experience with dog behavior.

http://www.adorablebeasts.blogspot.com
Old 12-21-2012, 05:52 PM
Top Dog

I think the ideal would be to contact some rescues, and either foster good candidates till one fails and stays, or volunteer. Many rescues are in need of dogwalkers, or people to take the dogs to adoption events and sit there with them, it would be a good way to meet a lot of them and see.

Some goldens are sensitive, but some are just plain wild, crazy and goofy. Not ideal for that situation. I second the older dog thing too, one that's past the crazies....