Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 12-18-2012, 09:21 PM
Top Dog

Haha, it's scary to ME to try and get on one while it's moving.

My mom used to have one and most of the dogs liked it, but mom didn't like me putting them on it/thought it was cruel. She got rid of it some time ago but when I move I'm hoping to get one.

Old 12-18-2012, 09:30 PM
& the Muttly Crew

The dogPacer -- is that motorized? And how robust are they?

ARCHX U-CD Kim MX MXJ NF CL3-SF RL3/2X/1X-COE CGC -- Golden Ditzhund, b. ~Mar'07
MACH ARCHX U-CD Webster MXB MJB RL3/2X/1X-COE CGC -- Flying Houdini, b. ~Jun'07
Mira CD JH MX MXB MXJ MJB CGC WCX -- Princess Cheeseface, b. Jul'09
Lodin -- Crazy Monkeybean, b. Dec'13
Old 12-18-2012, 09:33 PM
Bite Club

Thanks! I just have a gigantic baby on my hands. This will take some time and some coordination on his part since he pretty much takes up the whole treadmill.

~Aura & Riley~
Old 12-18-2012, 09:33 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdrianneIsabel View Post
The dog powers it themselves and the carpet mills have resistance. The idea is muscle building over cardio without the over doing it potential of a treadmill that "forces" a dog to keep up or fall off. Also, in the same school of thought, the dog cannot set their own pace on a treadmill which is more natural to a dog.

But the downside is noise for sure, they're super loud.
I have a Grand Carpet Mill. They really aren't that loud.
Old 12-18-2012, 10:13 PM
Bite me.

We use a carpet mill. Here is a video, noise and all.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uePHV-lglkw
Old 12-18-2012, 10:41 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maliraptor View Post
We use a carpet mill. Here is a video, noise and all.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uePHV-lglkw
Your guy is good on it! Mine expect treats.
Old 12-19-2012, 08:39 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdrianneIsabel View Post
Oh and a lot of show people I know say treadmills can ruin gaits but I know Aleron uses one so I would ask her if that's a concern. The clients I had who worried were dobe (refuse any incline and only allowed to go at a certain speed) and GSD (certain speed and specific time).
Late jumping into this but I do use a regular electric treadmill for my dogs (got it free off of freecycle!). I have heard the same thing about running dogs on treadmills over the years - if they are not extra long, they will teach your dog to shorten their stride and that's bad. I have not seen that to be the case with my dogs, they are 18-24". Now if Roust gets much bigger, he may not fit on the treadmill So if you have say, a big GSD that dog may not fit properly on a regular human treadmill to use. Otherwise, I don't think it's a huge concern unless that is the only exercise you are doing with the dog. Even if it does encourage your dog to change their stride on the treadmill, lots of things teach your dog to alter or shorten their stride like heeling, certain jump exercises, walking on leash with you, turning while running, etc. I know the Dog Trotter people are big on the "human treadmills will ruin your dog's gait for the ring" but then, they are trying to sell you a product.

Everyone gave pretty good advice on getting dogs used to it. I found with mine, it was best to put it on the lowest speed possible and get them jumping on and off that way instead of turning it on when they were already on it. And I don't see any issue with trotting Zinga on it at all. Roust has used it since he was pretty young. Obviously, you don't want to run an adolescent (or any dog for that matter) to exhaustion on it but I don't see the harm in them getting some exercise with it at all.
Old 12-19-2012, 10:04 AM
Bite Club

Such a pathetic face!

~Aura & Riley~
Old 12-19-2012, 10:21 AM
Top Dog

I was just leaving mine on (we are only up to a fast walk right now) and the girls would switch on and off, so they are getting on it while moving. I should probably break down and just hold their collars like Adrianne does, but we all know my weird sense of having to free-shape everything. Zuma is just so dang soft when it comes to that stuff, but I think we have enough of a reinforcement history that it won't freak her out now. That's what I'll do today.

Taboo, Zuma, Mighty Mouse, Zinga, Edgar, Zip Tie
Old 12-19-2012, 11:08 AM
& the Muttly Crew

I thought I already posted but now I can't find it...

Are the dogpacers fairly robust?

I tried looking up videos for dogs on the carpet mills last night but a lot of them just looked like they were frantically barreling along and sort of out of control so was glad to see the vid posted here by maliraptor. I still can't wrap my head around the carpet mill and think I need to look up how they are built...seems like the inertia would just get away from them

ARCHX U-CD Kim MX MXJ NF CL3-SF RL3/2X/1X-COE CGC -- Golden Ditzhund, b. ~Mar'07
MACH ARCHX U-CD Webster MXB MJB RL3/2X/1X-COE CGC -- Flying Houdini, b. ~Jun'07
Mira CD JH MX MXB MXJ MJB CGC WCX -- Princess Cheeseface, b. Jul'09
Lodin -- Crazy Monkeybean, b. Dec'13