Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 01-18-2005, 03:59 PM
Felurian

Sometimes you just have to say "enough is enough," and put it to them plainly that your puppy has had enough mistreatment for one day and if the child gets bitten it's their fault - not yours or the dog's. And it will be the absolute truth.

I finally reached the point where I really don't care that irresponsibly cruel - yes, they are being cruel to encourage their children to keep aggravating the dog; the faces are encouragement, telling the kids they don't have to pay attention to what you say - think I'm being picky.

That child is going to be dog bitten one day and the dog is going to get blamed, even though it will be 100% the fault of the child and parents. It's just a matter of time. Irresponsible people like that contribute directly to all of this hysterical breed specific legislation.
I hope Blondie's alright and doesn't have a relapse because of all the stress. Let us know how he is.

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

There are few things more nauseating than pure obedience. ~ Kvothe

***8206;"silence is the language of god, all else is poor translation."
Rumi
Be a god. Know when to shut up.

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 01-18-2005, 04:47 PM
Show Dog

Renee, I'm going to print out your replies and translate them to my mom and everybody who wants to know and understand how pissed I am because of what happened yesterday. And I understand how strict I'll have to be the next time those kids show up, and if necessary, I'll take Blondie and put him in some other room like you all recommended, but, the thing is, he loves being with the family because he's _always_ with the family, hates being by himself and would bark and whine and cry if he's all alone He'll feel punished and that's so not fair. I guess I'll have to stay with him or do something else so that he won't feel bad.

Then if he bites somebody because they're annoying him, I don't know, but I wouldn't put him to sleep. No way. He's extremely affectionate, we have people coming over all the time (not children, though) and especially if they're girls, he'll run to them, be extremely happy to see them, and get on the furniture so that they can rub his belly. And I bet those girls who know him and pet him all the time they come would agree with me that he's not agressive at all, so I wouldn't get rid of him just because he tried to defend himself. No matter what happened.

I'm a little scared, though, that he won't like kids anymore. He wasn't tortured or hurt like that, but bugged and toyed with. It was so annoying, I mean my grandma, she was so annoyed (poor thing, she's 88 years old!), she got exasperated and said, "Well, let him bite her, maybe that way she'll leave him alone". Can you imagine the face of their grandmother hahaha. Of course I wouldn't let him bite her, but it was just the way it happened. When they finally left, we were all so tired we went to bed early.
Old 01-18-2005, 05:08 PM
Top Dog

I feel so sorry for you and Blondie......yesh.....some kids just don't understand that animals have feelings too. My Grandma has a mini Schnauzer named Molly that doesn't get along too well with little kids. And if you are bugging her, she'll snap. It isn't a hurtful snap, more like a warning. (But she doesn't growl first. Go figure.)
Luckly, both of our dogs LOVE kids. Rose will shy away from the rough/hyper/loud kids but she'll tolorate them and I don't think she'd ever snap. She might growl, but I trust her around kids. Blackie LOVES kids and he doesn't care if the come up to him and sit on him. Now, if he was being cranky or the kids were really mean/hyper he might just avoid them but I really trust him around other kids.
(I think the only kids I don't trust our dogs around is the really little kids [our dogs might knock them over] and our neighbor's kids. And it's not the dogs I don't trust around the neighbor's kids, it is the kids. Rose doesn't like them and I'm always afriad the kids will kick/hit/be abusive our dogs. The do NOT know how to treat animals. They treat them like you would a stuffed animal when you are mad.)

Our Aunt and Uncle came over one time with their 2yr old boy named Justin. Justin was outside pushing a toy tractor around and I decided to let the dogs out. (On leash, of course.) Justin came right up next to our dogs and squealed like you wouldn't believe it after Rose licked his hand. Our dogs perked their ears up at the noise, but were still trying to lick him to death. I was afraid they'd knock him over so I took 'em away. I think even if he started giving them the not-so-gentle-affection of a two year old, they'd just lay their.

Anyways, I hope Blondie has a chance to meet some nice kids. Not just the brats. Good luck!
Old 01-18-2005, 06:26 PM
Dog Spoiler

Talking

Lol if it was my guests, than it would be "They live here, You dont. My house, my rules, don't bother my dogs.If you feel you have to, I'll keep this bandages handy."
Old 01-18-2005, 06:44 PM
Island dweller

Blondie, please don't get yourself in a situation where you have to decide whether or not to put your dog done. Sometimes you aren't even the one that gets to make that decision. This situation isn't out of control now but you have a puppy, who is sensitive, and needs to get used to different situations slowly. Help her be the best dog she can be. And stand up for her. She can't explain herself.

I think, I may be wrong, that you are stilling living with your parents. If that's the case then your parents guests (or grandmothers) are not your responsibility. Take Blondie into your room or another room with you. Play with her all afternoon. Read a book while she naps. Whatever. Just make sure she doesn't get stressed out or hurt.

As for her not being good with kids in the future, that may be true. Some dogs aren't. But you can help her now. Find some really good kids to come and visit. Just for a few minutes at a time. There are some really good kids out there who know how to handle animals and are gentle.

BTW you are absolutely right not to let her bite anyone. That would be hurtful forever. Not just for Blondie but also the breed. My mom got bit by a GSD when she was a kid. She still has a scar, still tells the story and while she likes the breeds she's still very wary of them. That doesn't help the reputation of the breed at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondie
Renee, I'm going to print out your replies and translate them to my mom and everybody who wants to know and understand how pissed I am because of what happened yesterday. And I understand how strict I'll have to be the next time those kids show up, and if necessary, I'll take Blondie and put him in some other room like you all recommended, but, the thing is, he loves being with the family because he's _always_ with the family, hates being by himself and would bark and whine and cry if he's all alone He'll feel punished and that's so not fair. I guess I'll have to stay with him or do something else so that he won't feel bad.

Then if he bites somebody because they're annoying him, I don't know, but I wouldn't put him to sleep. No way. He's extremely affectionate, we have people coming over all the time (not children, though) and especially if they're girls, he'll run to them, be extremely happy to see them, and get on the furniture so that they can rub his belly. And I bet those girls who know him and pet him all the time they come would agree with me that he's not agressive at all, so I wouldn't get rid of him just because he tried to defend himself. No matter what happened.

I'm a little scared, though, that he won't like kids anymore. He wasn't tortured or hurt like that, but bugged and toyed with. It was so annoying, I mean my grandma, she was so annoyed (poor thing, she's 88 years old!), she got exasperated and said, "Well, let him bite her, maybe that way she'll leave him alone". Can you imagine the face of their grandmother hahaha. Of course I wouldn't let him bite her, but it was just the way it happened. When they finally left, we were all so tired we went to bed early.
Old 01-18-2005, 06:44 PM
Felurian

I am so glad your Grandma understood what was going on! And we all know you'd never let anything happen to Blondie if it's within your power.

The thing is, that kind of constant pulling and teasing and annoying IS torture to a dog, especially a young, small dog whose health isn't 100% like Blondie. Think about someone constantly poking you with their finger, over and over and over, for an extended period of time and you can't get away from them, and you can't knock the snot out of them - that's the situation a dog is in when a kid (or an idiot adult) won't let it have any peace.

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

There are few things more nauseating than pure obedience. ~ Kvothe

***8206;"silence is the language of god, all else is poor translation."
Rumi
Be a god. Know when to shut up.

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 01-18-2005, 06:56 PM
Top Dog

You have gotten some great advice! I understand completely what it was like for you & Blondie. As you know, it is your responsibility to keep Blondie safe. I have been known, from time to time, to be considered a "meanie" when guests come with children who don't follow the rules in my house. If the children don't listen to what I am nicely telling them, then I explain it quite frankly to the adults who are with them and ask for their assistance. If none is forthcoming & the kids continue I will then tell them where they are to sit and for how long. This usually will get their adults' attention. In fact, I have found when it has reached this point the kids will usually catch on quite quickly as they aren't quite sure by now just how far they can push me. If the adults get upset, you just need to tell them you are trying to keep them & Blondie safe and avoid any potential problems as it is your home & your insurance & your furpal should a bite occur due to the continued pestering. Of course, if you do this and keep Blondie in the room with all of you, you may need to keep her on a leash if she starts approaching the kids - if they are in a time-out away from her, she should also be away from them. I have found also that most times after this the kids tend to tone it down & they are able to interact quite nicely together but I don't let them out of my sight.
Old 01-18-2005, 07:45 PM
Top Dog

Ok... realize this is in "humor", BUT...

Not all dogs can tolerate kids and I think Blondie did a FINE job of containing himself to the best of his ability -- only to take it out on the carpet by the treadmill. Next time, you need to crate the kids, in my opinion... Lol...
Old 01-18-2005, 09:03 PM
Island dweller

LOL Good idea Eli. I like that.

How is Blondie doing? Has she peed by the treadmill again?
Old 01-18-2005, 09:39 PM
Island dweller

Blondie, I was just re-reading my posts. I think I sounded harsher than I wanted too. I just get annoyed at kids who don't have respect for animals. My mom taught me at a very young age how to treat pets. We were never allowed to pet the cat backwards or anything. My kids, should I have them, will learn the same respect. House rule! LOL

Anyway, I think you are a great mom for Blondie and she's lucky to have someone who is so concerned about her. Of course, you're lucky to have her too.

Saje