Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Forum News > The Fire Hydrant

Old 12-16-2012, 10:42 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by -bogart- View Post

is this right?
That its dangerous? We have had multiple nurses sent to the ER with back injuries from the same patient. Violence is common. Police don't want to deal with someone, drop them off to us.

But we have the same people in and out I care about I feel a sense of duty towards- I'd feel like I was leaving them if I just up and left for another job.

They want the help or not everyone gets the same treatment. But there are people we have tried to jump over small buildings for.

If I have any beliefs about immortality, it is that certain
dogs I have known will go to heaven, and very, very few
persons -James Thurber
Old 12-16-2012, 10:45 AM
Love My Mutt <3

Quote:
Originally Posted by joce View Post
That its dangerous? We have had multiple nurses sent to the ER with back injuries from the same patient. Violence is common. Police don't want to deal with someone, drop them off to us.

But we have the same people in and out I care about I feel a sense of duty towards- I'd feel like I was leaving them if I just up and left for another job.
I think she's asking if you meant to put its dangerous as a pro and the other as a con or if you mixed them up. Maybe.

Goodbye, Rosey. You were the best girl I could have asked for. 10/15/96-03/08/13
Old 12-16-2012, 10:47 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by JessLough View Post
I think she's asking if you meant to put its dangerous as a pro and the other as a con or if you mixed them up. Maybe.
Did I? It was after work at like 1 am when I did this lol!!!

Edit- I think someone could figure out that's reversed. We do not like to be assaulted and I can't edit now!!!

If I have any beliefs about immortality, it is that certain
dogs I have known will go to heaven, and very, very few
persons -James Thurber
Old 12-16-2012, 11:10 AM
Member of WHODAT Nation.

Quote:

Edit- I think someone could figure out that's reversed. We do not like to be assaulted and I can't edit now!!!
I knew it was reversed , just ribbing ya! lol i could not do your work , I have enough trouble handling the people whom supposedly are all there , let alone a
patient with problems.
Old 12-16-2012, 12:01 PM
dogstrong

Company's Name: Unleashed Potential
Your position: Head Trainer/Owner
Your duty/s: Everything, haha. Answering phones and emails, training, boarding, running daycare, exercising, feeding, watering, cleaning, bathing.
Your co-workers: My boyfriend, Rick, and my critters. Kit also helps out with PR stuff and training.

Pros: Running my own business! I love it, so much.
Cons: I'm not a people person. I have to suck it up when dealing with clients, hahaha.

Favorite thing about your job: The dogs. There's nothing I don't love about working with them.

Equinox Shadow Of A Hero CGC "Shadow"
Equinox Ain't No Rest For The Wicked CGC "Embyr"
Equinox Play Me Some Mountain Music "Copper"
Equinox Don't Feed It After Midnight "Bloo"
Old 12-16-2012, 01:35 PM
Magic, motherf@%$*#!

Company's Name: I work for the pd's office dealing with post-conviction issues of our clients

Your position: legal assistant/paralegal.. I was recently promoted to assistant supervisor.

Your duty/s: It all depends on the day, letters, pleadings, calendars, some investigative work, on the phone with courts... Now also the management side of it, hiring, meetings, meetings, and more meetings.

Your co-workers: most of them are pretty funny and there is good atmosphere.... However, the staff that has been there for years and years can be quite difficult to work with at times.

Pros: For working in the public sector, it's pretty good money. It's a 8-4 job, but I can flex out earlier, come in later without having to take vacation time. Oh, plenty of vacation, sick, personal days, too.

Cons: I worked in victim advocacy before and I do miss it. I miss actually going to court, working for an obvious good cause, and the reward that comes with it. If there's a "win" in our office, it's because the system (court, lawyer) screwed up and our client gets a sentence reduction because of that, not because he's innocent. We rarely have clients who "walk" out because most of them are pretty bad boys and serve loooong sentences.

Favorite thing about your job: It's fairly stable, not a lot of overtime. People are pretty laid back if you get your stuff done.
Old 12-16-2012, 01:52 PM
Top Dog

Company's Name Local public school district
Your position 8th grade algebra teacher
Your duty/s Transform hooligans into productive citizens.

I take the state standards and the county's extra required topics and turn them into lesson plans and activities that match the learning styles of the students in my classroom. I constantly assess their progress through activities, quizzes, informal feedback, etc, and write formal assessments to monitor their progress. That's the easy part.

The hard part is training 13 year olds to take responsibility for their learning. They've been babied all throughout elementary school by teachers and/or parents, and this is the magic time where we stop doing that and they freak out.

The other hard part is teaching them to be respectful people.

Your co-workers are, for the most part, insanely dedicated individuals who pour 100% of themselves into this job. I work at a low income school, so no one chooses to come here because "it's easy". They come because they believe they can make a difference for these kiddos. Almost everyone has masters degrees, years of experience, and great enthusiasm for what they do. There are a few wet blankets and slackers, but they're greatly outnumbered.

Pros are that I go home at the end of the day really feeling good about what I do. Every single day, I know that I affected 130 little lives (hopefully for the better). I also love that even though almost every week is at least 60 hours of work, I can do the majority of the extra stuff at home. I can leave the school by 4:30 or 5 almost every day to get home and let Lucy out, and then finish up the rest of my planning on the couch for a couple hours. I also have fantastic stories I come home with almost every day: http://middleschoolsafari.blogspot.com/

Cons are that it is physically exhausting. There are no such things as "mental health days" in this field, because it is 10x the work to find a decent substitute and make sub plans than it is to just fight the snotty nose or burn out and come in.

It's frustrating that the public opinion controls so much of what happens inside the classroom (that decisions aren't made my the "professionals", but by popular opinion). For example, parents were upset that kids were getting "tracked" into regular level classes. They raised such a fit that they got the school board to implement "open enrollment" for honors classes. If a parent signs a paper, their child is officially an honors student. That means that I have a lot of kids inappropriately placed, and my honors classes are waaaay lower than they have been in the past.

There is also VERY little respect. All day long, I am berated by 13 year olds who are learning what is/isn't appropriate and pushing boundaries. They don't stop talking when I am speaking, they get mad at me when they score poorly on a test, and the most common phrase out of their mouth is "But you didn't tell me..." That would be fine, but fellow adults don't have a whole lot of respect for what I do either. When I was in IT, people were impressed when I talked about my job. Now the common responses are, "Oh, that's cute" or "It must be nice to get home at 3:00" or they tell me how to do my job better. ("If teachers would just allow their rating to be based on student test scores, we could get rid of the crappy teachers") It's frustrating to no longer be treated as an equal by former coworkers.

Finally...the pay stinks. I knew this going in, so I don't complain about it, but there have been no raises in 5 years (not even cost of living adjustments, so really people are making less than before).

Favorite thing about your job is the "you'll never believe what so and so said in 3rd period!" stories that I bring home every day. Also the kids who really really want to learn, that I can help. It's really rewarding in those situations.

Anything else you want to discuss about it A lot of people who go into teaching enjoyed being in school and were good at it. The thing is, the majority of kids you teach aren't those types of students. It was really, really eye opening to realize that only a small percent of my students are internally motivated to learn. The rest are still learning the value of learning--those are the ones I really try to reach.
Old 12-16-2012, 03:35 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saeleofu View Post
Job 1

Cons: My coworkers tend to act like they're in high school, despite most of them being older than me. Most of them are bigoted and not trustworthy. They like to act nice to get their way, then turn around and stab you in the back. They're also exceedingly lazy. I cannot be myself there at all. .
Is this a requirement for vet offices?
Old 12-16-2012, 03:40 PM
Love My Mutt <3

Quote:

Well, caring so much for patients could be seen as a bad thing too!

Goodbye, Rosey. You were the best girl I could have asked for. 10/15/96-03/08/13
Old 12-16-2012, 04:48 PM
Kotah BEAR

I had no idea half of yall had the jobs yall do, well most of you anyways.

I love hearing about others jobs. Very interesting.