Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Forum News > Member Introductions

Old 01-02-2013, 04:40 PM
Big Dog

And I dont qualify one litter of coolies from one breeder (in the states with coolies from unknown aus.kennel i might add) as being a breed with `prominent HD problems`
Old 01-02-2013, 04:41 PM
Big Dog

mmmm nope sorry Sara, my quote for sending in my xrays was $440
Old 01-02-2013, 04:46 PM
Big Dog

so when my vet can exam xrays in a 1yr greatdane and find a HD diagnosis, I am sure she can look at my 4 yr old dogs xrays and determine whether or not my dogs are affected without spending $440 for a American vet or some strange vet back in Ontario to do the same....yes no public record but really is $440 for public record justifiable....not for my little Ranchers budget and like i said before I am not out to create a trend or popularize this breed, simply share them with whom is interested
Old 01-02-2013, 04:49 PM
Top Dog

http://www.offa.org/pdf/hdedapp_bw.pdf

Here is the form that lists the prices. If you already have the rads done, all you have to do is have your vet either digitally submit the rads along with this form and payment information or mail in a the actual rads with this form and payment information.

If you have any questions about how to get your dogs certified with OFA, please ask. There are many members, as well as myself, with experience through that organization as well as PennHip.
Old 01-02-2013, 04:52 PM
Twin 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by avaloncoolies View Post
And I dont qualify one litter of coolies from one breeder (in the states with coolies from unknown aus.kennel i might add) as being a breed with `prominent HD problems`
Which is valid, but still ignoring the point that's been made by me and others that you can't say it isn't there when it's not being tested for. It's easy to say something doesn't exist if you don't look for it.

And I truly do think the incident of HD in this breed is going to be low as it stands right now, but if people don't start checking, don't start making it public record and continue on doing it the old school way of "If they work, they must be fine" that will change in my opinion.

And just for the record, mass amounts of respect has been given to you by me and others in this thread. But, I'm going to be honest, I'm a little tired (as I have previously stated) of seeing very little in return from you.
Old 01-02-2013, 04:55 PM
Behavior Nerd

I don't have a horse in this race, but since I've been looking at health clearances for my own dogs recently, here's my contribution.

Hip rads here (NC, USA) run about $75 each - perhaps someone was quoting you the price for fully sedated xrays with multiple views and submission costs? Anesthesia will raise costs significantly.

My malinois, who I have no plans of breeding, will be xrayed and submitted to OFA at some point because 1. I'm curious and if I get xrays I might as well submit, 2. the info would be helpful for my breeder, and 3. the info would add to the data available on rates of dysplasia in my breed. There's no reason to suspect she'll have anything but nice hips, but that's not the point - it's to further the progress of the breed. I really don't understand having the xrays but not sharing the results.

FYI OVC is no longer taking hip/elbow rads for certification. Your options are PennHip (which could easily be close to the figure you quoted - last I checked it was nearly $300) or OFA ($30 for prelims, $35 for adult dogs, $15 each if you submit 5 or more dogs at the same time: http://www.offa.org/).

I personally will never buy from someone who doesn't have breed appropriate health clearances on file. In malinois, that does limit my options, but if I want a crap shoot, I'll get a dog from a shelter or a rescue.

Old 01-02-2013, 04:56 PM
Big Dog

I respect people that are forth coming ....and honest
Old 01-02-2013, 04:58 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by avaloncoolies View Post
I respect people that are forth coming ....and honest
Have I ever been dishonest with you?
Old 01-02-2013, 04:58 PM
Big Dog

Linds & Sara....going behind my back after not agreing to sell a pup on breeding contract and asking owners of intact solid Avalon females to breed Trav to was the straw that broke the camels back for you two
Old 01-02-2013, 05:00 PM
Big Dog

does that answer your question Sara about when you have been dishonest