Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Breeding Ground

Old 03-06-2006, 10:54 AM
Top Dog

How about a cross of a poodle to a poodle. We could call it a poodle-doodle, and make a mint.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedyreRottweilers
Now why would any person in their right mind want to cross these 2 breeds who are polar opposites in body, head and coat type?

What POSSIBLE purpose could this cross have?
Uhmm, what purpose was a Pug bred for? Don't get me wrong, I am not supporting this doodle hysteria, but I don't think that particular argument is very persuasive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedyreRottweilers
NO ONE who values either of the breeds in this cross would ever consider such a misogynous act as breeding the 2 together.
I don't thing that is the word you were looking for.
Old 03-06-2006, 11:09 AM
Top Dog

Any " oodle " without a "P" in front of it is from a BYB how wants oodles of $$$

http://mauzysmusings.blogspot.com/
Old 03-06-2006, 11:48 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by keller
Really, if we want to keep going with this kind of thought process (I'll admit that this is stretching it really far), shouldn't people stop having kids and take in the ones that need homes? Every planned child who is born, is taking away a home that could go to a foster child. Or maybe people should be trusted to make their own choices about the people, and pets that will be part of their family, and the rest of us should stop assuming that we know better, and that they've been duped.
Sadly, you're probably the fourth person here making this kind of comparison. Yes, I counted, because this argument irritates me to no end. You have no idea what you're talking about, but at least you admit that it's stretching it very far so I'll leave it at that - meanwhile, I suggest you pick up a book about attachment issues for older adopted kids, then maybe we can have an educated conversation about the comparison between shelter dogs and foster-care kids.

Quote:
You can have a good idea of what a dog's temperment will be like if it's purebred, but there are always exceptions. You also gamble when you go get a cute little puppy at the shelter, and have no idea what kind of dog it is. There is a movement to turn the goldendoodle, and labradoodle into a breed (I'm not sure about aussiedoodles, shepadoodles etc).
The difference when you gamble with a shelter dog is that you don't have to pay $1200 for it. About the movement, people have replied before, it was cancelled because it wasn't working. Yes, as you said later, maybe it was cancelled early, but are you presuming to know better than them about breeding when you assume that they had no reasons to cancel early?

The funny thing is that the few breeders who are actually trying to make a breed are happy to sell 50 or more puppies a year at the same time. Somehow, it doesn't make me take their claim very seriously.

Quote:
The seeing eye program was one of the first movements to start a program with a specific purpose that got the ball rolling. Just because someone is willing to give a home to a new puppy from a breeder doesn't mean that they would also take a shelter dog. I feel for the animals that are dying in the shelter, but at this point in time, my home is only open to certain animals. It's that way for a lot of people. Every purebred litter born takes away a home for a purebred shelter dog too. Do you agree with animalbiz, or is it okay to make more purebreds?
Unfortunately this is indeed the narrow view of most people. They want a dog that will fit THEIR needs, and are not willing to save a life instead. I believe those people just don't really care about dogs as a whole, and really don't care that 7 million of them are killed every year, and there's probably nothing that can be done about it. I guess that's the bottom line of the argument - and that's for people breeding the dogs and people buying them. I just disagree with Animalbiz about purebreds, as I think breeds should be maintained, and as such breeding *in an effort to improve a breed* is ok. But that's about it. And even if people really tried to make a breed out of those doodles, I think it would just be incredibly selfish to do it now.

I can understand why people want a specific breed though, I would just myself not be able to spend $800 or more on a dog when another will die in a shelter. That being said, I have to admit I am curious about why people actually spend so much on those doodles? Is it for looks? It surely can't be for temperament, as you don't know what you are getting - unless I guess you like both breeds and don't know which one to choose - care to enlighten me?
Old 03-06-2006, 12:43 PM
Puppy Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fran27
Sadly, you're probably the fourth person here making this kind of comparison. Yes, I counted, because this argument irritates me to no end. You have no idea what you're talking about, but at least you admit that it's stretching it very far so I'll leave it at that - meanwhile, I suggest you pick up a book about attachment issues for older adopted kids, then maybe we can have an educated conversation about the comparison between shelter dogs and foster-care kids.
Fran27, I'm going to try and be polite. You have no idea what experiences I have had with foster care, with foster children, social services and foster parents. I'll thank you, as someone who doesn't know me from Adam, not to make assumptions about what I know, and what I need to be educated about. You disagree, even though I said that it was a very stretched analogy, and you don't think it applies? Fine, but maybe you need to realize that people can have experience in a situation, and come out with a different opinion than you did. That statement is so off base that it might be funny if I weren't so annoyed.

Quote:
The difference when you gamble with a shelter dog is that you don't have to pay $1200 for it. About the movement, people have replied before, it was cancelled because it wasn't working. Yes, as you said later, maybe it was cancelled early, but are you presuming to know better than them about breeding when you assume that they had no reasons to cancel early?
Yes, and you also don't get a warrantee, or to see the place where your dog lives, or its parents. I'm saying that there are knowledgable people who are still active in trying to make it happen. If it can't work, then it can't work. At this point though, we cannot say that it won't work. The original movement needed to produce dogs that were good enough to be a guide, and that were allergy friendly. They had a need that had to be met now. They didn't have forever to work on perfecting something. A lot of the characteristics we see in some of the breeds we have now, have changed over the past 100 years. We might not see a doodle breed in our lifetime, but that doesn't mean that it won't/can't happen.

Quote:
The funny thing is that the few breeders who are actually trying to make a breed are happy to sell 50 or more puppies a year at the same time. Somehow, it doesn't make me take their claim very seriously.
Okay.

Quote:
Unfortunately this is indeed the narrow view of most people. They want a dog that will fit THEIR needs, and are not willing to save a life instead. I believe those people just don't really care about dogs as a whole, and really don't care that 7 million of them are killed every year, and there's probably nothing that can be done about it. I guess that's the bottom line of the argument - and that's for people breeding the dogs and people buying them. I just disagree with Animalbiz about purebreds, as I think breeds should be maintained, and as such breeding *in an effort to improve a breed* is ok. But that's about it. And even if people really tried to make a breed out of those doodles, I think it would just be incredibly selfish to do it now.
Well I personally donate to several charities, one of which is the local humane society. I've probably helped a lot more dogs than someone whose sole contribution is adopting one every ten years. It's wonderful that you feel okay making decisions about what's in the hearts of others though. It's really a double standard though,that pure is fine, and mixed is horrible and needs to be stopped.

Quote:
I can understand why people want a specific breed though, I would just myself not be able to spend $800 or more on a dog when another will die in a shelter. That being said, I have to admit I am curious about why people actually spend so much on those doodles? Is it for looks? It surely can't be for temperament, as you don't know what you are getting - unless I guess you like both breeds and don't know which one to choose - care to enlighten me?
Well you've been doing such a good job assuming up to this point, that I'll leave you to that. Somehow the overall tone of your post leads me to believe that you're not asking out of genuine curiousity anyway.
Old 03-06-2006, 02:19 PM
Puppy Dog

Quote:
Fran27, I'm going to try and be polite.
Well that didn't exactly work out. I'm most likely finished with this discussion. The facts that I asked for are few and far between, and there are better ways to spend my time than taking one step forward and two steps back in this whole mess. This thing is a headache, and it's not worth it.
Old 03-06-2006, 02:30 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
I've probably helped a lot more dogs than someone whose sole contribution is adopting one every ten years.
How do you know that is their "sole contribution" You don't know how anyone has contributed to the plight of homeless animals. You donate to the Humane society, great. I hope you continue to do so. But that statement is a little arogant and not based on anything but your opinion, which by the way you are entitled to have. I think at this point we should agree to disagree. Otherwise we are going to keep going around the same circle.

"Happily owned since 1980."
Old 03-06-2006, 02:34 PM
Top Dog

Is this Gwinny's new ID? Sounds SO similar!
Old 03-06-2006, 02:44 PM
Puppy Dog

Ay yi yi, okay, so I am back, just to clear up anything I've all ready said. Shepluvr, I'm speaking only about people who have only done that. I never ever said that all people who adopt animals only adopt. You're looking for offense and arrogance where there is none sorry.

DanL, nope not her, although now that I'm back after I said that I wouldn't be, it might seem that way. I've tried being nice. I've tried asking questions. All I keep hearing is (paraphrased) how misguided the people in this process must be. I tried explaining my thought process, but just about everyone just wants to latch on to one thing, and keep repeating their opinions over and over again. I get frustrated, because I come online to learn, and have fun. A lot of people are apparently under the assumption that they are the only ones who can have a correct opinion. Apparently in their mind, no one else who understands the facts can possibly come to a different conclusion than they did. They're just plain wrong. Honestly, some of you are the ones who are acting like Gwinnywillow.

Quote:
I think at this point we should agree to disagree. Otherwise we are going to keep going around the same circle.
I agree whole-heartedly. I don't plan on making any new points in this thread, but I can't stand by and let people mis-read my posts that are all ready here.

A simple ip address lookup, will show that I'm not Gwinny. Nor have I ever claimed to be a dog expert (I do know genetics and foster care though). A quick look at my past posts will show me saying "I'm not an expert but..." over and over again. It's also interesting that someone can come in, and smugly tell me that I don't know what I'm talking about (without even knowing me), and that she thinks that I and people like me must not love animals, and I'm the one accused of being like Gwinny.

Last edited by keller; 03-06-2006 at 03:11 PM.
Old 03-06-2006, 06:30 PM
Top Dog

Let's just be gentle persons here !! Our dogs have better manners than some of these posts !!

http://mauzysmusings.blogspot.com/
Old 03-06-2006, 08:26 PM
Salty Sea Dog

why does it feel like we just keep walking into a wall...

i think this is one of those threads where certain peoples are just going to have to agree to dissagree, i will NEVER understand or support thebreeding of doodles...that simple...ive tried to explain my reasonings but unfortunatly sometimes my thoughts just dont translate into written words properly...

but lets face it...somethinks just dont get through no matter how many individuals say the same kind of thing

I wonder if other dogs think Cresties are members of some weird religious cult?

Adventures In Cluck Clucks, watch them grow @
http://suburbancluckclucks.blogspot.com

Hand Made Fleece Blankets